Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2008, 03:33 AM   #121
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
you talking about me?
Not everything is directed towards you. Unless you take it that way.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #122
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
im talking about mr. happy

i dont take much in this thread as a negative
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #123
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Whoever thinks that I said that Bioshock and Crysis were poor games needs to re-read what I said.....I have never played these games.....I stated that the have incredible graphics.....that's it. These were examples of games, that I gave, that you could say had better graphics than FF.

I quoted Engeeman who said they were not fun.

I also said that you cannot call TF2's graphics better, because of it's style, which is very specific. I would call this a true statement.

So then, as far as me stating things as if they were fact....like I just did....I will admit to trying to be as factual as possible......something that some people here might want to try. Mostly though, I have been quoting what others have said regarding FF's gameplay and graphics.

The ones I've been chastizing, have stated that FF's gameplay is great, but the graphics are not so good. I guess then it has been my opinion that these people are picky shits. If I have to say it's my opinion then I guess I will.....but you gotta' have huge balls, or tiny brains to bitch about FF's graphics.....you gotta' realize how crappy THAT sounds when you say it.

ALSO, I did not start commenting in this thread to bitch about TF2's gameplay some more....I have done enough of that in the past. But, if someone else wants to do it, then you can't bitch at them for posting HERE (in the FF forums) why they like FF more.

I really hope we're clear on just WTF I really have been saying now.....
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #124
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

And this thread has become the epitome of why nothing ever gets done 'round here...lol
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #125
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I thought BioShock... was... very pretty, very shallow, very boring games.

Actually BioShock didn't even look that good, in retrospect. The environments were pretty cool, but on the whole I was just really annoyed with the game. I managed to finish it and then uninstall.
Really? I'm currently playing through it and it's, probably, the best FPS I've ever played in my life both in story and gameplay.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #126
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
the best part about crysis
killing koreans

then shooting those fuckers with a rocket launcher when they decide to call you an "American Pig"
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #127
Agent_W
The Black Shield

The thread did indeed went to great lengths, but if you don't mind, I'd like to return to my original point. Everyone has submitted sound material that I give my commendation to.

It's not realistic and expected to have TF2 change it's name to something else other than 'Team Fortress' because of the 'blasphemy' and 'heresy' part I originally said. Why can't it be called 'Builders vs. Demolishers' or something like that? Something that would be 'original' to the unique FPS that TF2 is.

And all of the game details regarding that game isn't so 'TF compliant' as FF is. Because in FF, you still have the same ol' weapons, the same ol' maps, and the same ol' class abilities, and so on. I know some things in FF has changed but it's all part of the modernization to the Source engine.

It just sucks that 'Team Fortress' doesn't have copyright protection away from Valve or else they can't use that name. If I'm not mistaken, the actual name of the game itself drew so many to TF2, the 'official' sequel. TFC fans have been waiting on that game for Lord knows when.

And only a few of us know the 'truth'...
Agent_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #128
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Really? I'm currently playing through it and it's, probably, the best FPS I've ever played in my life both in story and gameplay.
You either share my tastes and have pathetically low standards, or have completely different tastes.

I've never liked games that lead you by the nose via interaction with another character, only to turn around and give you the DRAMATIC REVEAL that you saw coming five hours ago. That, to me, is not good storytelling. That's idiotic.

Half of what the game presents to you makes no sense. It's supposed to be a city, yet not one location is truly functional. Things are laid out in bizarre, almost maze-like patterns and configurations - it works great for an FPS, but it kills the verisimilitude. The NPCs were generally obnoxious, the item machines were completely obnoxious, the hacking mechanic was obnoxious, the security bots are so obnoxious as to drive me completely insane, and when you compound that with these convenient machines that make security bots just go away for some reason, I wonder why I bothered completing it at all.

How far along in it are you, anyway?

Oh, and I'd apologize for continuing the off-topic nature of this thread, but frankly I don't feel the thread was worth starting anyway, so I don't even mind.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #129
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
You either share my tastes and have pathetically low standards, or have completely different tastes.

I've never liked games that lead you by the nose via interaction with another character, only to turn around and give you the DRAMATIC REVEAL that you saw coming five hours ago. That, to me, is not good storytelling. That's idiotic.

Half of what the game presents to you makes no sense. It's supposed to be a city, yet not one location is truly functional. Things are laid out in bizarre, almost maze-like patterns and configurations - it works great for an FPS, but it kills the verisimilitude. The NPCs were generally obnoxious, the item machines were completely obnoxious, the hacking mechanic was obnoxious, the security bots are so obnoxious as to drive me completely insane, and when you compound that with these convenient machines that make security bots just go away for some reason, I wonder why I bothered completing it at all.

How far along in it are you, anyway?

Oh, and I'd apologize for continuing the off-topic nature of this thread, but frankly I don't feel the thread was worth starting anyway, so I don't even mind.
I'm about 3/4ths done I believe.

*SPOILERS*

I killed Andrew Ryan and have gone a good ways after. I rescued the girls instead of harvesting them as well so I'm not sure how that has effected the story past that part.

I've been able to make sense of all the events that have happened thus far. The city not being functional also makes sense as there has been a war going on along with ADAM being pretty much like meth to the splicers... and you.

The plot devices, I admit, are kind of weak... however, the character development is golden. Everything from the doctor you fight to the actor... to Andrew, Atlas, and yourself. Even the characters you only know about from those tapes are well done and well voiced.

The only thing I've found really annoying, like you said, are the ammo bandit place and the circus of values... or whatever they are called. The other ones (gatherers garden, the gene place, etc). They are simply louder than they should be.

The theme of the game, I thought, was great. In fact, the 40's-50's steampunk underwater apocalypse thing is great, and they pulled it off well.

I was a huge fan of System Shock 1 and 2... and this game is a simplified version of those, although it plays much better.

A lot of people didn't like Bioshock, but I don't see why. Everything you listed, for the most part, are things that I really enjoyed in it. The biggest thing for me, though, is the psuedo RPG elements mixed in with the FPS experience of it all.

Ronald Reagan

Old 04-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #130
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You're slightly more than 3/4 done, around 7/8.

As for the destruction and stuff, I don't mean that. I mean, when the city was fully functional and still in perfect shape, the layout was still insane and completely arbitrary. It doesn't look like a functional building/city gone awry, it looks like chaos + extra debris.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #131
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Well, it was designed by a crazy man, or so I would assume. I do agree that it is needlessly like a very large, and confusing, mall though.

Ronald Reagan

Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #132
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18
the best part about crysis
killing koreans

then shooting those fuckers with a rocket launcher when they decide to call you an "American Pig"
oh are we on racism now?

i'd call you a pig too for saying shit like that; dont be givin me and my american ass a bad name by being a punk-ass racist

Last edited by Circuitous; 04-04-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #133
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Yeah I think anyone who gives a shit about his racism could've pieced it together without you changing out the words to more "typical" forms of racism. As such, I'm just gonna go ahead and edit them out.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #134
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

In all fairness, "American" is not a race.

Ronald Reagan

Old 04-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #135
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Story is just as poor as any other video game story. I'll give the game props on the time period. It is one that hasn't been done much (compared to future/present/medieval times). People spliced their genes too much so they went crazy (turned into zombies, essentially). The setting is essentially a space ship.

The gameplay is a joke. There are even less enemies than HL2 (which already has a pretty sad number of different enemies) and they are trivial to kill with just the wrench you start off with with the exception of the big gorillas. And for them you just need explosive shotgun shells or electric gel. The enemies keep damage inflicted on them even when you die and respawn, making it quite possible to take down the big gorillas with the wrench as well if you are patient enough.

Not to mention the RPG elements are a joke as well. There is no choice in the game. You get every tonic and every plasmid, every weapon and every weapon upgrade. No matter what you do (unless you just run blindly through the game and purposefully avoid picking anything up) you end up with the same loadout as any other person on the planet who has played the game.

The game was supposed to be some golden god to be held up to buck all FPS cliches and it ended up being the most bland and uninspired me-too FPS to come along for a long time. Everything had been done before, absolutely nothing new was brought to the table.

Just save yourself the time and play System Shock 2. It is a much better game as seeing as most people on these forums love ugly games, old games, and their computers were already old in 1998 ya'll might enjoy it.
EngeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #136
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

That reminds me, the wrench was all I used except for the last boss.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #137
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Yeah, here's the summary of a review for the game that I feel matches what I've experienced so far perfectly.

Quote:
There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima. But it's in BioShock--it's in the gorgeously realized, watery halls of Rapture. It's in a Little Sister's expression of thanks when you choose to save her, or the utter silence if you harvest instead. It's in the way the characters develop, in the testimonials of the recording boxes you pick up along the way. It's in the way the narrative is structured, and the way it blends so seamlessly with the action. Irrational had a clear vision with this game, something pulled off with remarkable precision in every department. They didn't just deliver something that's fun to play, a criterion so often cited as the benchmark of what makes a game worthwhile. BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.
I wouldn't call it essential, though, as no game is essential .

Ronald Reagan

Old 04-05-2008, 03:44 AM   #138
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
That reminds me, the wrench was all I used except for the last boss.
There was really no reason to use any other weapon.

On the last boss I just used electric gel until he had to recharge, electric gel again, recharged, electric gel. I win the game.
EngeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #139
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
the last boss WAS the most anticlimatic piece of shit ever. it left a bad taste. before that, it was good.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 01:20 AM   #140
Arvingorn
Angry, angry Spy

Class/Position: Turtle Engie
WTF, So you just randomly go around spamming about how FF is better than TF2 in-game? Do you honestly believe people will ACTUALLY listen to you? Hell, I'd probably just mute you.
Arvingorn is offline   Reply With Quote