Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #81
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
I find TF2 much funnier.
It's just my impression, but to me TF2 felt like it was trying too hard in terms of the humor (though the "meet the..." videos were pretty decent) trying to make it more of a cartoon. Alternately some of the ragdoll physics had me breaking out laughing playing FF as a demoman. Seeing 2 soldiers and a scout come rushing in for the flag only to see them go sailing from pipe bombs is great.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #82
richard nixon

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Someone needs a Xanax, or a life.

And I agree with you HandyM. TF2 just adds variety most of all. I always have fun. Whereas in FF I get hammered by people who have played the game nearly nonstop since age 13..With TF2 I could do good with about every class, not great but good. I can actually kill people with Scout instead of being a running target. Added features like mid-air double jumping, sticky bombs (which I think work better as a whole and less troublesome to play), a useful medic and unique artwork and good graphics make it more fun. No it isn't as challenging as TFC/FF but there are some times that it is. I especially enjoy it on dustbowl when there's 2-3 enemy engineers all with lvl3 sentries in good positions. Usually on FF it's one team dominating another one or one guy doing all the work (ctf) but in TF2 it feels less like that and there are lots of close games that just make you smile when it's over.

Last edited by richard nixon; 03-30-2008 at 11:12 PM.
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 AM   #83
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
am i the only one who thinks both are really good games?

greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 AM   #84
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity
Alternately some of the ragdoll physics had me breaking out laughing playing FF as a demoman. Seeing 2 soldiers and a scout come rushing in for the flag only to see them go sailing from pipe bombs is great.
Easy to agree with you here dude...I bust up on a regular basis, after seeing a spectacular death, or a body bouncing off a wall or 2. Plus, sometimes it's more than just one dude biting it....where else these days do you see 6 guys blow up simultaneously?

What's also cool is when there's a build up of corpses in a particular spot, maybe cause of a flag being dropped there, and and all of them go flying. Additionally, it's always a special bonus when one or more of them are on fire.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 01:46 AM   #85
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494

I'm with ya buddy
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 06:02 AM   #86
slay2rr

Class/Position: Pyro
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494

People have to say one is better than the other. so even if they are both good games one must be BETTER than the other, so the other good one is now bad compared to that.
slay2rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 AM   #87
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

I think they are equally good. It just depends on what kind of mood im in.

It's like, "why play COD4 when you can play HL2?" because they are both equally good in different ways.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #88
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Ok...I guess I'll try not to say that TF2 is not as good as FF anymore. I'll just say that I prefer FF...that can't piss anyone off now can it?

However I can still be analytical, and piss off TF2 fans....wanna know how?

-I can say that TF2 has fewer options per class, so it is a simpler game....fans hate it when you call it simple.

-I can say that there are critical hits and taunts, but no movement skills, so TF2 has less skill involved....and don't try to tell me there's no teamwork in FF, and that's where the skill is in TF2.

-I can say that the lack of nades removes a dimension of the game, that has existed from the start, so it is less of a Fortress game than any before it.

-I can also note that TF2 is the first Fortress game to be designed for play on a video game console, and it seems like it.....take that for what it's worth.

These statements are not technically insulting, but let's see if anyone gets upset by them.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin

Old 03-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #89
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon
-I can also note that TF2 is the first Fortress game to be designed for play on a video game console, and it seems like it.....take that for what it's worth.
This is one of the bigger reasons that I just don't find it as fun, interesting, or entertaining as TF games.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 02:43 PM   #90
Agent_W
The Black Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
Agent_W ff isn't a DM game, playing it like it is one doesn't help your team
Hey, Mr. Happy, I know it isn't. I can't say it with a straight face that FF is all about DM. But, I can say that DM is a very important element! You have to be good at DMing with any class if you'd expect to hold out more and help the team. You'd be dying too much otherwise, and wouldn't that be sad

The only times I get into deathmatching is when I get the impression that nobody in the server wants to play objectively. Definitely a no-go for sanctioned clan and league play, it's still what I happen to do often on pubs.

For example, as a spy, when I deathmatch, I use no disguises and cloak seldomly. I'm out there guns blazing, strong in the literal sense. I'm dodgin', rootin', and tootin' lol. I often do this when servers are small or just if nobody cares. Just go kill each other out there is the game!

But when we're all playing objectively, I would choose a role to benefit the team best and stick with it. The team will know which way I'm going on this.

P.S.: I'm honored that you took my quote as your sig, GreenDay. I'm sure somebody said it before...how could I be first?
Agent_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #91
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Here is my whole view on TFC/FF/TF2. All of these games are fucking kick ass. TFC obviously because of the excellent gameplay. FF because it caters more to the people who played a lot of TFC, but also attracts new people, and TF2 because of the awesome graphics, and voiceover acting.

Fortress Forever is in the middle. I'm a middle kind of guy. I take the common sense route for most things in my life instead of going to extremes. FF is the most solid FPS game I've ever played. First of all, it's completely chaotic, but as a team, there are many ways to control that chaos into one straight beam of clusterfuck bombs directed at the enemy. If I were completely new to this game, I'd either pass out from so many awesome things going on at once, or uninstall it because of how much depth is involved right away. I mean, there's no RIGHT way to start playing FF. This is why I think ff_training will be so important, along with helping people in game. A couple of questions I get asked most often is either how to upgrade a sentry gun, or what's the difference between Cloak and Silent Cloak. To most, these probably seem like ridiculous questions, WHY would someone even have the gall to ask them? ARE THEY STUPID? But that's when ya gotta realize most people who are new to FF have never played TFC or even TF2. So, instead of berating someone or making fun of them for being a newbie, I take it upon myself to help them, and or let the making fun of be directed twds me, saying something like, I remember when I started playing... dot dot dot... etc etc and so forth, that way I automatically catch the attention of this new person and because I'm so charistmatic/awesome, hopefully they will be more comfortable asking questions on how to learn the basics of this game.

/rant about new peoplez

TF2 is fun for playing maybe an hour or 2 every other week. I get bored with it very quickly. Even with most of the custom maps, it's not enough to continue to pull me in, and I mean, TF2 has the best TF graphics in the world. At first, I went along with the whole bashing on Pixar style gfx, but I truly think that's where they've succeeded. Still, I'm absolutely HOOKED on FF, so much that I've stopped playing Counter Strike 1.6 altogether, and that was my game of choice ever since I stopped playing TFC. Pickups, leagues, hell even pubs are enough to keep me interested and entertained.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #92
greenday5494
D&A Member

keep moving along

Last edited by greenday5494; 03-31-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:44 PM   #93
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

Let me reiterate that I like them both equally, depending on my mood.

Also let me say, that I think FF is a deeper more complex game.

Quote:
-I can say that TF2 has fewer options per class, so it is a simpler game....fans hate it when you call it simple.

-I can say that there are critical hits and taunts, but no movement skills, so TF2 has less skill involved....and don't try to tell me there's no teamwork in FF, and that's where the skill is in TF2.

-I can say that the lack of nades removes a dimension of the game, that has existed from the start, so it is less of a Fortress game than any before it.

When I do play TF2, I usually play scout or demo. They have movement skills. Concing has been removed, which sucks, but the maps have been designed in a way that double jumping is equal to, or perhaps more usefull, than concing on TF2 maps.

They did add some stuff to the game, they didn't just remove and change things. For example, the uber. It seems like such a simple thing, but the more you play the more nuances and creative ways to use it that you find. Also the teleporters, which don't belong in TFC or FF, but are a very critical part of the strategy in TF2. Good tele placement is critical, as is trying to take them out. Killing a tele is more important than killing players when you are playing with skilled people!

I am torn about the grenades. It feels like you have alot more close encounters in TF2 because of the lack of them, but at the same time, grenades are epic win.

Critical hits are also part of strategy, because you can predict when you or other people will have a critical hit. So you might push forward in a situation where you normally wouldn't, or hang back in a situation where you would normally push. You might also choose your targets differently...a close range scout who is on a rampage and is likely to have a critical is a bigger threat than a solider at a medium distance.

I also like the way the sentry gun building is in TF2, not the hud, but how multiple engy's can upgrade a sentry between levels even if they don't have the full cell count. I also like how the sg can be destoryed while being built, and the engineer can move away from it, grab a bag, and throw down a dispenser at the same time, then rush into combat with his shotty while the backlines engineer finishes the upgrade cycle.

Sticky bombs also add strategy. Do you uber an HW or a Demo or a soldier? You uber a demo as close to the enemy as possible if they have clustered emplacements, as their stickies are best against SG's and disp's, but HW's are better for tearing through people. Ubered demo's and soldiers can also trick jump past the defense to the objective before losing the uber, and the medic can then switch their uber to someone else.

Timed capture points also introduce a wealth of strategy, but this post is already too long.

TF2 in my opinion is a very deep game, but the depth lies in completely different skill sets and gameplay dynamics than in FF, TFC, or QWTF.

These are the reasons why I enjoy TF2, without them, it would have no depth and would not be a fun game.

But like I said in another thread, I'm sure no one cares why I like TF2 lol.

Oh, and TF2 on consoles is awful.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #94
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

FF no doubt has better game play...especially the PYRO and his "flying" abilities.

The DEVs did a great job on the game as a whole.

but...TF2 just looks soo damn good with the new style graphics.

Maybe FF Dev's could port the TF2 Graphics into FF somehow with FF style game play. ...that would be unbelievably awesome.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #95
t0H0

I think that the reason why a lot of (most) players enjoy playing TF2 more than FF is the fact that there are a lot more people actually playing TF2. Of course, it's more fun to be able to choose from a huge number of full servers instead of playing a 3 on 3 where 50% of the players are oldschool pros and own the 3 newbies who try to get into the game.

If FF had a bigger active playerbase nobody - imho - would consider TF2 to be better.
t0H0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #96
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undch4s3r
Maybe FF Dev's could port the TF2 Graphics into FF somehow with FF style game play. ...that would be unbelievably awesome.
most of us here probably care a LOT more about gameplay than gfx* (ofc shiny gfx are nice tho!), but the simple fact is that gfx* are a massive factor in attracting/retaining new players...

valve are bound to allow mods to use the TF2 engine and stuff* some happy day (but it might be some time). if we can get all FF's gameplay tuned up and debugged for when that time comes, i'd have thought that we could basically copy/paste the majority of FF's code pretty much straight across, then take turns to "motivate" aftershok with a cattle prod for a few weeks to keep him awake until he's fixed/hacked everything that needs changing to make it work! tbh it would be simply incredible if this was done, and solve so many of FF's current "problems"

[* i mean everything about how a game looks, including models, animations, textures, fancy lighting/rendering techniques, visibility/clarity, etc, etc, and ofc noobs++]
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #97
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undch4s3r
The DEVs did a great job on the game as a whole.

but...TF2 just looks soo damn good with the new style graphics.
Oh yeah, those HL2 style graphics look so old and dated....yuck. They're sooo 3 1/2 years ago....who cares if the gameplay rocks?

Oh BTW dude, if you're such a graphics whore, and can't stand FF's, then why aren't you playing Crysis or Bioshock multi-player? TF2's effects aren't quite up to those...or is that graphics ho inside your mind that fickle?

Which leads us to the next statement of questionable intelligence from a similar thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
TF2 has better graphics, that's a fact. The shading algorithims used to light the characters and the world rendering are much more advanced. If you prefer one art style over the other, whoop-dee-do, it's a seperate issue, a personal opinion, one that can't be resolved, and no one cares what you think.

If you prefer one game's gameplay over the other, whoop-de-doo, no one cares.
First of all, as I said before, you CANNOT claim that a game with a VERY SPECIFIC art style, has better graphics when it's the same engine with a few added effects. Tell me that Crysis or Bioshock does, and I'll accept it.....why? 'Cause those games aren't styled to look cartoonish.

Plus, most FF fans don't talk about it's graphics that much, 'cause about 95% of it looks pretty decent....this is a minor concern. It seems that only TF2 fans really ever bitch about FF's graphics, 'cause that's all they care about.

And what's this bullshit about no one cares what gameplay you prefer? What in the fuck forums do you think you're posting in? These are one's for the folks who DO care about deep gameplay fool! Guess what....I don't give a fuck that you prefer cartoony graphics and simplified gameplay....how do you like that?

Oh and, whoop-de-dee-do, you repeat yourself while bitching about people preferring FF's gameplay in an FF forum.....are you drunk?
- George Carlin

Old 04-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #98
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Easy there... it's just a game..

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 12:55 AM   #99
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Hey....easy there, he doesn't care that anyone here likes FF.
- George Carlin

Old 04-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #100
greenday5494
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pF-
Easy there... it's just a game..
amen.

peon, calm down dude. this is the people we are talking about. it's just a game. you're acting like someone raped your mom. both game are good, and TF2's graphics are more advanced, both game's gameplay are great. i have so many game in my steam account/computer, and 260, and i play soccor, i dont care wish one has better graphics. they are all great. BTW soccor, means the actual sport i play not a video game of the sport, same with basketball, but thats ireelvant