Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 04-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
Bogdan6
El Hombre sin nombre

Class/Position: Medic, Offense
Gametype: Capture the flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Motherboard problem?

Got my hands on a few spare parts from my cousin and decided to slightly upgrade my old rig. It run with no problem, but as I left for lunch it was frozen when I returned (as in, stuck with the screen, nothing moving). Did a force-reboot and nothing loaded, no BIOS, no video input to the monitor at all, nothing. Not even beeps from the motherboard were heard. Anyone can think of a diagnosys, and a probably solution?

I have to say that what I did change was the Power Source, added a slave IDE and changed the motherboard as I had an ECS motherboard (basically a no-name) before and got a Gigabyte one from my cousin.

Here is a vid of the PC "starting" if it may help you:

Last edited by Bogdan6; 04-25-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Bogdan6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2015, 03:37 AM   #2
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
I'd start by disconnecting everything....pull the battery and jumper the "clear everything on thr mobo" jumper. Once done connect nothing other than the power supply, keyboard and monitor attached to onboard video if possible and reseat all ram. See if it boots. If it doesn't then swap for a different power supply if possible and try again. If you can get it to boot then slowly add components.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Bogdan6
El Hombre sin nombre

Class/Position: Medic, Offense
Gametype: Capture the flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Yeah tried everything from reseating-ram to changing the CMOS. Still nothing. In the end decided to put the power-source on my old pc so I can still use it if this one doesn't. In the end, both pcs behaved the same so the power source seemed to be the fault and changed it. Works fine now.
Bogdan6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan6 View Post
Yeah tried everything from reseating-ram to changing the CMOS. Still nothing. In the end decided to put the power-source on my old pc so I can still use it if this one doesn't. In the end, both pcs behaved the same so the power source seemed to be the fault and changed it. Works fine now.
Glad to hear it. Game on!

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote