Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
The 32 Totally Essential (and Free) Apps for Every New PC

The 32 Totally Essential (and Free) Apps for Every New PC

I found this article very interesting. It's probably more useful to those who don't know as much about the great, free software out there. While I agree with many of their choices, some simply make NO SENSE for the average user.

Also, I simply can't use the GIMP after many years of photoshop usage. And VLC is total shit. (Ya, I hate VLC. Why don't you use a program with a usable and stable GUI?) And while I totally LOVE VMware... why would the average user need VMware server? And why are there like 5 DVD ripping programs?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I liked that list, many of those apps I already knew, but there was a couple I thought interesting that I've never heard of before

Quote:
why would the average user need VMware server?

This list was not put together for your average user. Even at the start they say.

Quote:
We've put together a list of what we think are the most essential PC apps for every Maximum PC reader
People who read PC articles and such aren't generally your "average" user. Other than a couple malware virus things, this is a list of stuff for people interested in going above and beyond every day computer use.

And what's wrong with VLC player? I think it's pretty handy to have, I like the fact that its failure rate at playing movies is like 1% on my machine. Plus I like the fact that it'll play movies only partially downloaded
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I missed the part where it explained the audience... woops.
My issues with VLC is strictly the GUI and overall UI. Running in full screen is annoying. Doing simple things like pausing and playing are annoying. Use with multiple screens is buggy as hell.

I LOVE Media Player Classic and the klite codec pack. However, with windows 7 I've been using it's default player with the klite codec pack and I've been VERY impressed. The invisible GUI is AMAZING.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Etzell
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Love VLC. Don't see how pressing spacebar to pause/play is annoying.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #5
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
not a bad list... love that they have foxit reader; mr beefy turned me on to it back when he joined ff and its so much better than adobe reader

and it's always good seeing foobar2000 getting props

Old 05-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

In my grad class we talk for about 10 min about Foxit reader and other PDF alternatives. Adobe reader has PAINFUL load times. Foxit is great!

Old 05-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
VLC is good. It's kind of pathetic that I had to go download VLC because Windows Media Player told me I needed to pay them for some bullshit to watch DVDs through WMP. Shouldn't that come standard? Y'think? Did I only pay $250.00 for a more visually attractive start bar and Directx10 support? Anyway, I don't get these problems. VLC runs fine in Full Screen, the GUI works flawlessly. Maybe you all just.. fail?

GIMP is complete shit. I've decided that GIMP stands for "God, I Miss Photoshop". Clever, I know. Don't remind me of my godlike thinking patterns, peon. Every thing in that terrible program is complicated. Want to copy a picture from the internet and use it in gimp? Right click, copy. Open GIMP. File, New. What? I have to .. manually input the image size? It doesn't auto-detect them like Photoshop? You can't even drop a picture into a project as a layer. You have to manually right click the 'pasted layer' and convert it to a standard layer before you can edit it. Well, fuck this. That's just the start of the pain, too.

Notepad ++ also sucks. Oh wow, so you took Notepad and threw in a bunch of completely useless features and illogical shortcut keys while advertising yourself as being 'simple to use'? What a laugh. Want a superior text editor for programming or web development or what have you? VIM, motherfuckers. There's the learning curve, but it's worth it. (If you want a text editor for creative writing or letters or whatever emo-shit you're choking up, use Abiword.)

Then, while you're at it, give up that silly little input bar in Firefox and all that useless filler at the top. Download Vimperator and browse the internet like a real man. I used that shit for an entire week when I had no mouse. I still use it now. It's just that good.

Adobe Reader has fine loading times.
(If your computer wasn't build around the same time early man roamed Earth.)
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free software, open source, shitware