Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 07-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #41
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
There's a dev version but I haven't touched it in ages.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #42
thiz
Tealeaf
Beta Tester

Affiliations: fo!
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Any chance of releasing it as avanti_b1 or something Crazy Carl? It seems pretty playable to me, lua could do with work in places perhaps (personal annoyance of mine, getting moved around after every point is capped) but the map is prettier than the _classic version, which is popular due to it being avanti!.

Either release a beta or finish it and get a patch out, hate to see another map sitting in the svn gathering dust, all that work
thiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #43
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
But if u do, remove that combine door doesnt fit at all the theme ; x
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #44
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zE View Post

That isn't part of the map, the reason why it was there was to block off the other area, probably didnt want to show it.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #45
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiz View Post
Any chance of releasing it as avanti_b1 or something Crazy Carl? It seems pretty playable to me, lua could do with work in places perhaps (personal annoyance of mine, getting moved around after every point is capped) but the map is prettier than the _classic version, which is popular due to it being avanti!.

Either release a beta or finish it and get a patch out, hate to see another map sitting in the svn gathering dust, all that work
It needs a lot of work before I'd consider it worthy of release. The one in the beta doesn't have a coherent style at all and many parts are unchanged from the _classic version. I actually opened it up and made some changes last night, so we'll see how much I can shape it up.

Respawning after each cap is an experiment to try to stop the offense from sweeping the map. My plan is to include it in all IvD maps, but I want beta feedback before it's made final.

Quote:
The map I've been working on is based on ff_avanti_classic, not the one in this thread.

Last edited by Crazycarl; 08-04-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #46
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
The classic version plays fine, defense can hold it offense can cap it, i think the gameplay is fine, just needs a prettier version : D
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #47
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Quote:
The classic version plays fine, defense can hold it offense can cap it, i think the gameplay is fine, just needs a prettier version : D
I hate 11vs11 avanti games.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #48
GiGaBiTe

Send a message via AIM to GiGaBiTe
Quote:
It wasn't a combine door, it was a bunch of wooden fences (screenshots were taken in Garry's Mod). The were used to block a bunch of null faces and rape geometry that wasn't finished.

I stopped work on Avanti and Flagrun over a year ago because both maps weren't worth my time. The FF community consists of a grand total of 24 servers at any given time, and all but one actually have ANY players in them.

Casbah took a year and a half of my life that I'll never get back, and I'm going to be bitter about it for a long, long time. People thought it was a grand idea to port the map, so I pushed through the long hours of working on it and development hell of people offering help and constantly disappearing without a trace.

After that long hellish experience (which I endured because I thought I would actually be able to enjoy the fruits of my hard labor) the map was met with hate and harsh criticism. The few games I actually got to play on big servers, it would empty them out within minutes with people saying how terrible the level was and why I even bothered porting such a garbage map.

I was pretty devastated that a year and a half of some of my best work was hated by everyone that played on it, despite the few people on the forum that naysayed otherwise. I gave the source out to casbah more than a year ago now and I have yet to see anyone bother with it, nor have I seen any servers play it since the few days after I released it.

This is the reason why I'm not going to bother with either Avanti or Flagrun, they'll likely receive the same fanfare, and even if they were well recieved (which is unlikely) there are so few players that again, it's not worth my time.

I'm also not going to give out the source to the maps because they'll either be 1) Mutilated or 2) completely ignored like Casbah was.
GiGaBiTe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #49
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
It wasn't a combine door, it was a bunch of wooden fences (screenshots were taken in Garry's Mod). The were used to block a bunch of null faces and rape geometry that wasn't finished.

I stopped work on Avanti and Flagrun over a year ago because both maps weren't worth my time. The FF community consists of a grand total of 24 servers at any given time, and all but one actually have ANY players in them.

Casbah took a year and a half of my life that I'll never get back, and I'm going to be bitter about it for a long, long time. People thought it was a grand idea to port the map, so I pushed through the long hours of working on it and development hell of people offering help and constantly disappearing without a trace.

After that long hellish experience (which I endured because I thought I would actually be able to enjoy the fruits of my hard labor) the map was met with hate and harsh criticism. The few games I actually got to play on big servers, it would empty them out within minutes with people saying how terrible the level was and why I even bothered porting such a garbage map.

I was pretty devastated that a year and a half of some of my best work was hated by everyone that played on it, despite the few people on the forum that naysayed otherwise. I gave the source out to casbah more than a year ago now and I have yet to see anyone bother with it, nor have I seen any servers play it since the few days after I released it.

This is the reason why I'm not going to bother with either Avanti or Flagrun, they'll likely receive the same fanfare, and even if they were well recieved (which is unlikely) there are so few players that again, it's not worth my time.

I'm also not going to give out the source to the maps because they'll either be 1) Mutilated or 2) completely ignored like Casbah was.
Well Avanti is WAY more popular than Casbah, and I guarantee that people would actually play the map if it was finished.
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #50
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
You don't need his source anyways. If he refuses to finish avanti, then someone else can come along and make it. It is one of the all-time greatest TFC maps, and AvD enthusiasts such as myself would be more interested in this game with more AvD gameplay and new maps.

Shit, I'd start mapping right now, but I have a borked video card so I can't

Old 10-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #51
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I feel for you giga. I know what it's like to sink a lot of work into something and have it ignored.

No need to release avanti source. There's a classic version out and I've been (slowly) working on an official one.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #52
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
A lot of people were torn with casbah on TFC. I think because of the map layout it made it seem more difficult for one team than the other to cap the flag. But that's not your fault. You did take on the task though so that's good. And btw, we just got done playing casbah on the Talos server and had a blast.

You will receive criticism from anything you do in life, so my advice is to take everything with a big grain of salt. Especially from people who've been here for a while, because they are focused more on the overall image of FF and since everyone has their own opinions, those opinions will be heard by those closest to the community. Also, I'm glad you weren't coaxed into changing the map because despite its flaws passed down from TFC, it's one helluva good map, but mostly when there are a lot of people playing it. Casbah is just a big map, and a big map usually calls for a larger amount of people and that's something that FF hasn't had since its release. So even if you are bitter, you shouldn't be because you created a map that I like that my opinion matters more than everybody else's so there. Happy now?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 03:20 AM   #53
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Oh and speaking of Avanti, being that it's one of the most popular custom maps made for TFC, we should have a mapping contest to see who can come up with the best avanti map, and the one that wins will be released with FF when 2.5 comes out or something.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 10-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #54
GiGaBiTe

Send a message via AIM to GiGaBiTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
You will receive criticism from anything you do in life, so my advice is to take everything with a big grain of salt. Especially from people who've been here for a while, because they are focused more on the overall image of FF and since everyone has their own opinions, those opinions will be heard by those closest to the community. Also, I'm glad you weren't coaxed into changing the map because despite its flaws passed down from TFC, it's one helluva good map, but mostly when there are a lot of people playing it. Casbah is just a big map, and a big map usually calls for a larger amount of people and that's something that FF hasn't had since its release. So even if you are bitter, you shouldn't be because you created a map that I like that my opinion matters more than everybody else's so there. Happy now?
I can take criticism, as I have with all of my prior and future maps to Casbah. Casbah was the exception because unlike my other maps where there was a balanced pro/hate relationship, Casbah was almost universally rejected by the community. You can't really take that with a grain of salt when you see the map empty out a server, you know it's that bad.
GiGaBiTe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #55
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

That's with a lot of maps though. Some maps are just like that. Casbah is a good example, and that happened in TFC as well. The main reason the majority of people dont like that map is because of its sheer size and overall balance.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #56
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

...yea, not many people are fans of the map, which says nothing about your mapping skills. Personally, I think your screenshots of the map (avanti) a while back show that you're a good mapper, and shouldn't let the hate get you down.

Last edited by GenghisTron; 10-11-2010 at 03:08 PM.
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #57
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Yeah it's hard to say what map is going to be a huge hit or a big flop. You could make the best map ever, and people might never play it. It's happened with a few official FF maps like anticitizen or genesis. I rarely see a map vote for those maps. But you get maps like schtop or openfire and people are all over it. So you shouldn't let a community's criticisms hinder your ability as a map maker from creating more awesomeness. The new casbah is slick. I love the design of it. It's just not a map that will get played every single day because it's casbah.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 10-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #58
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Only reason people don't like anticitizen is because of the turtle on the side of the hill, and the HDR lighting is a little blinding at times, but otherwise it's a very well made map.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #59
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
And btw, we just got done playing casbah on the Talos server and had a blast.
Yeah, I almost had that map DL'd when it changed.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #60
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Oh and speaking of Avanti, being that it's one of the most popular custom maps made for TFC, we should have a mapping contest to see who can come up with the best avanti map, and the one that wins will be released with FF when 2.5 comes out or something.
I really don't think people want to put all their time and effort into a map knowing it might not be picked.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote