Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 01-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
o_frontovik

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Command Point / Security hybrid map

Originally I thought this was quite a good idea for a map, but on reflection I'm not sure. I've no experience of mapping, so if anyone wants to have a crack at it they are welcome, preferably in TFC or later FF.

The map would consist of three command points as in cz2 or pipezone. Teams aim to control two of these points in order to deactivate the laser security around the enemy flag which they then have to capture as on a regular CTF map. The CPs are parallel to each other rather than in a warpath-style line; however, they are captured warpath-style rather than carrying a flag to them.

The cons I can see with such a map are that it would be probably be overly difficult to gain access to the flag, and the game might stall as both teams spend more time DMing for the CPs rather than going for the flag. I don't think a map with this format exists though, so it would be interesting to see what happens.

Please discuss / tear apart this idea
o_frontovik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
o_storm

It's always good to have new ideas! I don't quite know what you mean by having the command points parallel to each other as I am imagining one long road with command points as either side (which would be a bit silly) explain what you mean by this as I would think you would need to have command points well spaced to avoid the game being one big death match. Also I think you have to be very careful with creating maps with multiple aims as it's very confusing for newbs and it means the maps are never played properly on publics meaning the map has limited appeal.
o_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I think he means equally spaces from either base and each other.

base

point point point

base

It's an interesting idea but balance would be a serious issue. Maybe the flags should be held at the middle point or something so it's not impossible to cap?
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
o_cenobite

a thing that could be a nice add to the game would be like that mode in unreal 2004 where you command couple of points and hold them for some time and if you succed the team scores and the commandpoints reset to get captured again.

guess those who love cz2 and pipezon and other cp maps would like this
o_cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
o_frontovik

That's the gist of it ekiM, but the flags would be in the open rather than a base, so that once the security is down they are a bit easier to get at:

Red Respawn

Red Flag

Point | Point | Point

Blue Flag

Blue Respawn

Each point is in a separate room or area with corridors joining them together allowing players to move between them fairly easily.

A similar idea would be to have five CPs, one belonging to the red team, the other blue. The teams then go after two other CPs to deactivate enemy security. Capturing a Team CP would temporarily deactivate CPs under enemy control. This way the CPs wouldn't have to be parallel to each other and hopefully allow for more movement strategy rather than rushing for the points and DMing for them.
o_frontovik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenobite
a thing that could be a nice add to the game would be like that mode in unreal 2004 where you command couple of points and hold them for some time and if you succed the team scores and the commandpoints reset to get captured again.

guess those who love cz2 and pipezon and other cp maps would like this
I think a map called scrummage (which far predates UT2k3/2k4) used this scoring system; it's an interesting one for sure

Old 01-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
o_kam

Maybe once you cap all 3 cps, the sec goes down for like 2mins or more and your team gets 5 points or less.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote