Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 01-16-2007, 01:17 AM   #21
o_jinx

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
it's more than just the story. a graphic novel brings a whole visual style to a story, which become part of how it is told. what's interesting about Sin City and 300 is how they have managed to take that visual style and translate it to the screen in very powerful ways.
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2007, 03:35 AM   #22
o_soulcutter

I haven't read the graphic novel but I do know a little bit about Greek History. Saying something like the "storyline sucks" is retarded because it's based off real events. They're not just pulling this out of their asses, I'm sorry the way history happened is apparently stupid to you.
o_soulcutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2007, 04:02 AM   #23
o_uber

Lol SoulCutter, you're missing it, and you're way off.

He never said the story sucked because it was based on real events. Go back and read his posts again.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2007, 04:12 AM   #24
o_()))crayola))_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCutter
I haven't read the graphic novel but I do know a little bit about Greek History. Saying something like the "storyline sucks" is retarded because it's based off real events. They're not just pulling this out of their asses, I'm sorry the way history happened is apparently stupid to you.
To reiterate;

World Trade Center was based off real events and it sucked. That's fairly proof that you can fuck up historical events. Let me tell you why.

A movie is not an objective portrayal of a single event. If this movie simply put a camera in a war it would blow chunks. The director creates a story and dramaticizes the events to make it interesting. Here's another perfect example;

Gladiator is a historical real event. There was a coliseum, there were gladiators. However, to make the movie interesting, you follow one mans dramaticized journey, and add love etc. to the film.

MOVIES ARE NOT ACCURATE PORTRAYALS OF HISTORY. MOVIES ARE SIMPLY A FORM OF STORY-TELLING.
o_()))crayola))_> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #25
o_duffmanhb

who gives a fuck on its accuracy. Its going to be a good fucking movie.
o_duffmanhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #26
o_skanky butterpuss

movie looks badass, and gotta love that nine inch nails song in the trailer
o_skanky butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #27
o_uncle-argon

Hah, I forgot that the day and month go the other way around in America. It's not coming out in September then, I'm just stupid

I don't want to get into an argument about how awful Sin City was, because I already did that on another forum when it first came out and it was like banging my head against a brick wall. Essentially, my problem with the movie was that it was a classic case of style above substance; the pseudo-noir visuals and dialogue were what drew me to the film, but beyond a superficial stylistic layer there was absolutely nothing else there. It was just constant violence with virtually no regard for plot or character development. It nearly joined the Passion of the Christ as the only film I've ever walked out of; I'd have left after 20 minutes if the whole noir-style visuals weren't so captivating.

The conclusion that we came to in the other argument was that I didn't know that it was based off of a graphic novel and so didn't know what to expect. There's probably an element of truth in that, but I was still bitterly disappointed by it and, whilst I'll give this film a chance, it looks to be going the same way. Great visuals for sure, but the constant 'action' makes the action boring. I think I'm turning into an old man....
o_uncle-argon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #28
o_icarus

Ah thank you Uncle-Argon , was beginning to think I was the only one ,on all the forums I read ,that wasn't jerking off over Sin City

Personally I thought it was a huge bag of bollocks.

Watched the trailer for 300 and it looked well done but you could see the Sin City influences and that wasnt quite what i was hoping for. I'll wait and see
o_icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #29
o_skull

MADNESS? THIS IS SPARTA!

sorry, just had to do it :]

SPARTAINS, TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!

oops, sorry again :/

I'm fucking addicted to this movie (AND IT'S NOT EVEN OUT YET).
If it sucks I swear, heads will roll.
o_skull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2007, 02:18 AM   #30
o_addicted to morphine

In the book "Gates of Fire" based on the battle of Thermopylae, the hero says, enjoy your breakfast spartans, because tonight we dine in hell.
o_addicted to morphine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #31
o_nezumi

Thermopylae FT fuckin' W.
Also color correction FTW. I hope this movie is better than Sky Captain (which admittedly did gain points for having Starman in it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennovan
There's also continuous fight scenes so its minutes of straight action without cutaways.
This alone would make me want to see any movie. I hate chopy-cut close-up shaky-cam fight editing.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()))Crayola))_>
Gladiator is a historical real event
No, it wasn't. Most of the characters, excluding essentially only Emperor Commodus, were entirely fictional.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #32
o_duffmanhb

YOu know what i like about these movies. Nothing i dont care for in an action movie.

Ever see black hawk down?
LIttle plot, no love story in the side line, no comic reliefe.

10 minutes into the movie the action begins. Its like that for 2hours. Tons of action and explosions that keep you on the edge of your seet the whole time. Just how an action should be. Takes out all the fat and leaves just the steak of the movie.
o_duffmanhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #33
o_player

But Black Hawk Down is based on a real life events... Why would they include a love-story if there was none?
Why would they include a plot if there was none? (Rofl :P)
And comedy, in a film such as that, unless done correctly, would absolutely demolish the film's atmosphere and purpose.

Last edited by o_player; 01-18-2007 at 05:20 PM.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #34
o_loader

You like action movies that have Action, love and funny bits?

lol. 'nuff said about you.
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #35
o_uber

A little comedy in an action doesn't hurt.
o_uber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #36
o_player

If done properly, it is fine. Arnold Schwarzenegger's one-liners are fine, slapping in some Monty Python humour in a films along the lines of Black Hawk Down wouldn't work :P

Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #37
o_()))crayola))_>

Are you kidding? During that night scene, when the black dudes in the back of the truck with the RPG, and then the Delta guy shows up right behind him. What if the delta guy just pulled out a salmon and smacked him right across the face. I would have bought ten copies of that movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
No, it wasn't. Most of the characters, excluding essentially only Emperor Commodus, were entirely fictional.
That's not my point. My point was that there were gladiators that fought in the coliseum. What I'm saying is that filmmakers will take settings and general events and create a story around them, which is what I assume this story will do. Otherwise you're watching one war for 2 hours, and it gets boring as fuck. Savvy?

Old 01-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #38
o_player

But adding the fish slapping would detract from the film, sure it would be funny but it would destroy the atmosphere.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #39
o_()))crayola))_>

Luckily I'm never sarcastic.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #40
o_deadly furby

Lines (and acting) in the trailer were outright AWFULLLL
It's like someone took a great story handed it to a first year director who hired lousy writers and said 'Here, make a movie'.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote