Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #41
o_sureshot

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3-
From previous playtesting ive monitored, those points do not really come into effect. You need people with different sorts of connections to see how well it plays in different conditions, such as having a concing 56ker lag across the map to see how the sentrys react. As for the hardware, you need a wide range of hardware ranging from the best of the best, to the poor min spec HL2 playing machine. From the playtesters ive seen in II, the ones without playtesting experience are just as good as the people who have playtested before; they just need to know some ground rules and what to watch out for.
Yeah, that's also true. I did some testing of PC game stuff (won't bother plugging the company) and we used a broad range of machines to test on, in fact, mainly stuff at the lower end to see what screwed up. This included different OSes, driver combinations and peripherals. Obviously the FF team aren't doing the engine from scratch or anything, but it's still important to cater for both ends of the spectrum in the design process. Home testing on people's own connections was definitely something which went on too.
o_sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #42
o_tennovan

Let the brown-nosing begin.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #43
o_nodnarb

I'm first!! haha
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #44
o_atari

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3-
From previous playtesting ive monitored, those points do not really come into effect. You need people with different sorts of connections to see how well it plays in different conditions, such as having a concing 56ker lag across the map to see how the sentrys react. As for the hardware, you need a wide range of hardware ranging from the best of the best, to the poor min spec HL2 playing machine. From the playtesters ive seen in II, the ones without playtesting experience are just as good as the people who have playtested before; they just need to know some ground rules and what to watch out for.
I'm not sure they'll be looking for (m)any 56k connections, it's 2006 - if you're gaming on 56k, it's gonna cost the devs mucho money posting out the mod on CD/DVD, yet alone each change. It's safe to assume that if you do have a 56k, you aren't gonna get much out of it. Besides, FF will be using the HL2 netcode, which has already been tested to some degree.

I agree with you on the hardware specs, I didn't mean you need to have the best hardware out there, but having the hardware to at least play HL2 (rather than HL1/TFC) is gonna be a requirement imo.
o_atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #45
o_groovyf

Large post counts do not a forum contributor make
o_groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #46
o_sensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyf
Large post counts do not a forum contributor make
thank you, yoda.
o_sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #47
o_ohcanep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagual678
A good thing would also be having people completely oblivious to what team fortress is..
True... just find the trustworthy ones.
o_ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #48
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
The minimum post count is 42,000.
A-he-hem.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #49
o_soulcutter

Rofl circ.
o_soulcutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #50
schtoofa
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
A-he-hem.
Still want me to fix your post count back to what it was? ;D

Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #51
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Haha. So long as you're not usin' it to get money out of me I don't really care either way.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #52
o_[jif]timmay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer
ive been involved with the forum for a couple months but never really got into posting because of all the flaming that was going on. I really dont enjoy hearing the smart ass remarks, so i just read posts and kept up to date with the mod.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer
i know of a few ppl here that have been looking at this forum for a while now and only have a couple posts.
Or less.
o_[jif]timmay! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #53
o_sensai

I say we rate people on quality over quantity. I'm pretty sure that following the dev postings, my posts have the highest quality of them all. I mean, who else brought you the wips and leaked images to the forums?! Who has the L7 SG Bitching Power? I'm pretty sure that counts for something and puts me at the top of the list.
o_sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #54
o_tu!

i nominate phish.
o_tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #55
o_anshinritsumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
When anyone recruits (be it a game beta-test of a full-time job), you have the essential basics:
  • Good communication
  • Team player
  • Trustworthy
  • Mature
  • Reliable

Then you have the specifics for remote beta-testing a game…
  • Computer literate
  • Time
  • Good connection
  • Hardware to play the game
  • Experience in play-testing (a bonus?)

Then you have the specifics for FF…
  • Active member of the FF community
  • Experience with another fortress mod or online gamer new to fortress mods

I don’t think a high post-count will have any impact on your chances of beta-testing (unless they’ve been valuable contributions).

Just my 2p
I agree with this by far.
o_anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #56
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i agree on every count now apart from "good connection"

there still needs to be a variety of different connections, in a variety of different countries

Old 07-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #57
o_atari

So how low do you go with regards to the connection as we approach the end of 2006?

8mb? 4mb? 2mb? 1mb? 512k? 128k ISDN? 56k? 33k? Wireless? satellite? 2 tin cans and string?

How would Mr.56k get the mod? GoZilla?! for a couple of weeks? Snail mail? What about all the updates etc?

imo it's a step backwards testing for anything less than ISDN/512k these days, but then I'm not a developer, I just really don't see the point.
o_atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #58
o_whuh?

how about instead of kissing ass we all post screens of us "owning" in tfc so it looks like we are more qualified to beta test.

Ill start with just a snippet:
o_whuh? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #59
o_the russian

From my honest experience there exists no true beta tester profile outside of catering to minimal specs. The truth about testing is that the guy who does not know what he's doing is more likely to think of something totaly irrational, stupid, and off-the-wall that will break something for sure. The experienced tester is honed on to what were bugs in other programs that he went through, so he's going into it with expectations that might never play out and he'll never know. The conclusion being that you'll want individuals from both camps.

The only use I see for using post count as a gauge is to reward commitment, albeit, like others have said, it wont draw the difference between quality and quantity. Although, we can infer that commitment could make up for the lack of one or the other in the chance encounter that you'll need ppl so stick through weeks of buggy code and crashes-a-plenty. A lesson learned.

Lastly lets not forget the all important stress-test as well, else we end up like EverQuest. Theres something to be said about a server with 32 ppl left runing for 12 hours straight... you sure see any differences in class balance quick when half the red team are snipers and the other half engys. In many ways it works like a centerfuge, weeding out class differences by weight, or in this case power.

At Q4F we went with mandatory testing days / times and specific servers. I dont know how FF plans to execute theirs but I'm sure they'll have a specific set proportion for when/where to do some hard monitoring.
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #60
o_ihmhi

High postcount = people who probably won't shut up in Pubchat.

Think about that before you hand them out based on postcounts. d:

Please give qbaler a nod. He is one of the few people who has actually given me a run for my money playing D against him and he probably will cry at night hugging his pillow (shaped like an ammo bag) if he does not get in the beta. =/
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote