Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
pWEN
SHOOP DA WHOOP

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to pWEN Send a message via MSN to pWEN Send a message via Yahoo to pWEN
Vent boosting in FF_Hunted

I dunno about anyone else but I've had trouble getting rocket-jumping in the vent right. I'm sure new players are even more frustrated (if they even know it's there). So, I thought I'd offer some tips for the various Hunted classes.

***CIVILIAN***

Mini-Walkthrough: Courtesy of Circuitous

If you're trying to get the Civilian up the vent, have him jump on in.

If you're a Medic, toss a conc OUTSIDE the vent, slightly to the right of the hole. It'll boost the civi through the wall and launch him safely up with no trouble. This is far easier than plugging the hole full of grenades that he has to try and time his jumps against.

***SOLDIER***

Mini-Walkthrough:

Now the best thing to do is to crawl through the vent until you can stand up again. Then back up into the wall. Aim your rocket launcher downward, then run forward until your aim is an inch or so behind the red light on the ground. Jump, fire your rocket, crouch & look up towards the hole in the top part. It'll take some practice, but if you time it right, you'll slide right up to the top.

Tip #1:
Aim! You need to aim your rocket straight down. Then you need to position yourself so your targeting reticle is behind the light on the ground. Here's a screenshot to give a rough position.

Tip #2:
Crouch! As soon as you rocket-jump (jump while firing down), hold the crouch key! If you're positioned correctly and you get the timing right, you'll shoot up the vent and actually slide across the ceiling to the top of the hole.

Tip #3:
Practice! I still keep screwing it up, even though vent-boosting is my preferred modus operandi. Keep trying until you die; even if you have 3 HP left when you reach the top, there's a health pack and armor vest waiting under the stairs to your left for you.

Tip #4:
Be wary! If a sniper hears your rockets going off in the vent, they will come investigate. They'll camp at the top and shoot you if you're not double-checking that the top is clear. It's generally a good idea to fire up before you fire down.

Tip #5:
Be considerate! This is mostly for everyone else. If someone is in the vent trying to boost, and especially if it looks like they're having trouble, please don't crowd them in. Parking your butt directly under them when they come back down makes it even more difficult (if not impossible) for them to boost out the top. Spamming "move pls" doesn't help either, because by then they're obviously stuck with you in the way.

Hope this helps at least a couple people. I'll tweak this guide as I get the hang of vent-boosting more, give better positioning, etc.

Feel free to contribute and I'll make additions to this!

Last edited by pWEN; 09-22-2007 at 07:22 AM.
pWEN is offline   Reply With Quote