Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Psycho 78

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Conc jumping exploit?

I was playing FF Sunday night on that map with the large outdoor area between 2 fortresses (sniper heaven). Near the flag is a big picture window you can look outside through.

ANYWAY, there was a scout on the other team that would leave his base, conc jump all the way across the outside yard at a high rate of speed, veering left and right in the air, and then he seemed to either conc again or keep travelling from the first conc and enter our flag room at a blinding rate of speed. Sentries could get him but not much else could. But he was so fast he would literally be back in our base 5 seconds later, over and over.

My impression was that he was somehow never slowing down after the conc boosted his speed. I saw him mess up the conc jump in front of his base one time and he suicided it and tried it again.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I might be misunderstanding this, but did he just say you can jump into that window to the flag room from outside?

I tried a couple times and got blown apart by instant kill lazers.

I thought maybe it was a security thing, but never bothered to investigate

Cheers,
Hammock
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Ohcanep

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Granted someone cuts off your security a scout can very well take the left side route amazingly fast and why not the respawn side as well but it is a little more cramped. I think he used two concs on his way to your main ramp, one on the deck and one in the air.

Other defenders might have trouble to wound him on the way but sentries usually pick even scouts off - although you'll need to place and aim them well. Placing the sentry right on the bag opposing the flag works quite well if there are teammates to cover you.
Ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Psycho 78

No I don't mean he came through the window, I think he was coming up the ramp just like everybody else. But he was so fast that as a soldier if I missed him with one shot from my RPG he was GONE.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
C-Aim
Better than Never

Holy crap that sounds like one skilled scout ... I'd love to see that in action.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Riff Zifnab
-TPF-

Was he hitting that speed pad and using that to boost his already excessive speed? It sounds like he was just one hella good scout.
Riff Zifnab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, Aardvark was made for insane speeds; blame caesium for that . The scout was probably just good at concing/rampsliding.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
Psycho 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Zifnab
Was he hitting that speed pad and using that to boost his already excessive speed? It sounds like he was just one hella good scout.
LOL, I'm new to that map (aardvark) so I didn't even know about the speed pad. However, it seemed to me he was dropping his (first?) conc just outside the right front side (as seen from our base) of his base. I assume the speed pad wouldn't work if he was already in the air.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #9
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho 78
LOL, I'm new to that map (aardvark) so I didn't even know about the speed pad. However, it seemed to me he was dropping his (first?) conc just outside the right front side (as seen from our base) of his base. I assume the speed pad wouldn't work if he was already in the air.

Conc + speed pad =

Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
n3m
BT King ^^

You can drop conc from your base platform onto the speed pad, if you hit the speed pad from that conc you hit the ramp at a serious speed while priming your 2nd conc. As you hit the top you can trimp to the left and conc again as you hit the ground sending you onto the flag and maintain your speed out the resupply side and down the ramp.
n3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
Psycho 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3m
You can drop conc from your base platform onto the speed pad, if you hit the speed pad from that conc you hit the ramp at a serious speed while priming your 2nd conc. As you hit the top you can trimp to the left and conc again as you hit the ground sending you onto the flag and maintain your speed out the resupply side and down the ramp.
I don't know how you guys do it, you must be on drugs or something. When I play medic and go running through the enemy base poisoning people, nailgunning sentries, grabbing the flag, escaping while poisioning the back of more enemies, and capping I get exhausted after 30 min or so.

But a scout using the above described method is many times faster than med.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I have figured out the first step of this, and I am really an amateur concer.

Drop one conc on the sniper deck and prime a second. Jump in front of it (aiming for the enemy main entrance). Let the second conc go off in your hands. Aim for that beautiful speed pad.

When you hit it, you will be going wicked pissa fast and probably smack into the wall near the enemy cap point.

More skilled players can jump off of that ramp, turn around, and hit another conc to whip around in the flag room and get out. This is just someone who has had a lot of practice with concing. I am still tryin' to get a hang of this particular one myself.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Yeah, Aardvark was made for insane speeds; blame caesium for that . The scout was probably just good at concing/rampsliding.
Okay now that I understand what he was asking, I'd have to say that the scout isn't that good at concing if he's tossing a conc on his battlements and HHing his 2nd in the air to hit the speed pad. That would only leave 1 conc left to strike at the flag.

A good scout will HH off his batts land on the speed pad with another already primed. Use his 2nd at the top of the ramp, prime a 3rd, and if he got by the sg's use his 3rd to get the flag as far down the ramp as he could (or out all together).

Using two concs to get across the yard doesn't make much sense, unless he just missed his first one and did a 2nd to continue his travel.

I can sometimes land on that speed pad with medic with 1 HH conc, but my lag issues don't make it consistent. As a scout I'd have to say I can land on the pad 40% of the time, 40% of the time I land just infront of it and bhop in 1-2 jumps, and 20% of the time I lag out/timer bar dissapears/beeps stop making noise or a combination of all 3 can make me land anywhere from halfway across the yard to 10 feet off my battlements.

Cheers,
Hammock
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #14
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Chaces are that that player has spent lots and lots of time practicing the art of conc jumping. I say, praises to him for dedication. But still, a supershotty to the face will slow anybody down.

If he's good, get better

The war is never over!

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #15
fidy

This is why a soldier at the top of the ramp is useless.
fidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #16
SmellyCat
Darknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
A good scout will HH off his batts land on the speed pad with another already primed. Use his 2nd at the top of the ramp, prime a 3rd, and if he got by the sg's use his 3rd to get the flag as far down the ramp as he could (or out all together).
Visualised

Would probably still get owned by hwguy + 2sg setup but you get the idea. Gave me an excuse to waste some minutes before bedtime and to see how poor demos play back (lag). Enjoy, or not.
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #17
Tarron

i hh with a scout from your own respawn ledge, you can hit the arrows in one and gives an excellent boost and you can then ramp slide to get the flag with your second, you can usually get a flag attempt every 15-20 seconds i love the map

video

Last edited by Tarron; 09-25-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Tarron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 11:40 PM   #18
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
lol, you might actually be talking about me... I was practicing some scouting moves on aardvark the other evening (don't remember when exactly) and someone started saying who's that cheating scout who goes insane speeds etc etc. Before I had time to explain, he'd told his friend let's go to a different server without cheaters, and he'd left the server

Btw, I'll show anyone the basics of concing if they'd like to learn sometime. It's great fun!
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 PM   #19
Tarron

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
Btw, I'll show anyone the basics of concing if they'd like to learn sometime. It's great fun!
same
Tarron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #20
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidy
This is why a soldier at the top of the ramp is useless.
You have not met Death Haven.