Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 11-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #241
o_own3r

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.flexyjerkov
Just taken a glimpse at some of the other maps in development with my fav being FF_Colossus. I am now thinking to myself:

Should i add loads of various effects and details to the map which will probably make it look a little over the top for the size of the map.
Or!
Stay away from adding too much more to it and just work on the layout and game play of the level.

I need ideas!, I'm stuck for what to do next.

I feel that i may stick with something similar to the wood effect as its not something you often see in TFC but i would like to give the wood team colours or something.

I would not mind seeing a gothic theme, though I would not worry about that till you have the layout sorted and gameplay tested when the mod is released.

Gothic style is very impressive in my opinion if you have any old style churches or even cathedrals about check them out!

Alternativly A combine citadel style with high ceilings in the enterence hall with high balconies you can conc up to... *dreaming* anyway maybe that should be something I should do.

So yeah make it gothic.
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2006, 02:32 AM   #242
o_bumgravy

The first thing I think when look at this map is that it's totally backward-portable, I know this is a remake of your HL1 map (which tbh I havent seen), but theres nothing here that couldnt be faithfully built in HL1. You need to let your imagination go off on one, try smoking drugs.

The second thing is the theme. I mean, what you have here aint perfect, but it has a much better feel to what you have now, which is very important. I know you are kind of setting yourself on the idea of keeping the wood theme, but unless you know exactly how you're going to get this to immerse the player and look believable as some kind of defendable fortification, i would drop it and look to something else. It looks like it could be blown to hell with one mirv, or just burned down entirely by one mad pyro.

Quote:
Should i add loads of various effects and details to the map which will probably make it look a little over the top for the size of the map.
Or!
Stay away from adding too much more to it and just work on the layout and game play of the level.
As to just concentrating on the gameplay aspects, I never played the original and cant comment on its strengths or weaknesses in terms of gameplay. For aesthetics, look for places where you can say "that would look cool if it had this or looked like this", then try some stuff out, but don't go throwing random props and entities in for the sake of it.

Try and experiment more with different themes, go nuts on some architecture you probably will never use and see if it inspires you, but don't be scared to hit delete just because something is adequate and only a little boring.

I dont mean to go off on one, I just find expressed criticism very handy, even if you think my opinion is worthless and I'm an idiot maybe you can take something from this.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 AM   #243
o_nezumi

What I mean is that the style of trim at '1' looks better to me than at '2'

If you cut the ramp along the grey line and make that little edge bit be the same texture or a similar material as the grey trim along the edge I think it'll look better. You may disagree, and it is adding unnecessary brushes and polys, but whatever.

For details, try playing around more with details you've already built. You've got the blue logo under glass in that one screenshot, so maybe put around some more glass pannels or something like that.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #244
o_theres *nothing* here

Why'd you call it Flexibility?

Just wondering. I dig the wood thing though, you never really see that sort of thing. Maybe, if you decide to keep it, you could add the sound of walking on a hardwood floor.

Edit: Glass panels? Maybe make them smashable. It's unnecessary, but I dunno. =P
o_theres *nothing* here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #245
o_dr.flexyjerkov

thanks for all the comments and I'm going to take them all in.

BumGravy with your comment about deleting something if it don't look right. I've already done that multiple times to the flag room as I've never been happy with it until recently.

Unsure about the wood theme, downloaded a large HL2 texture pack lastnight so ill give it a go today.

Trimming ill give a go but i find that it can be hard to do in some sections such as curves around the ramp room flooring.

Need to create a skybox too and possibly redesign the bridge as its too blocky at the moment and i don't like blocks as it looks cheap...

Anyway will post new screen shots when i made significant changes.
o_dr.flexyjerkov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #246
o_dr.flexyjerkov

Some doodles I've just done at work, going to implement them when i get home.
Doodles of what i need to do...

http://flexy.tnradio.net/ideas2.JPG

Last edited by trepid_jesse; 02-19-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #247
o_luminous

make the whole map cell shaded
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #248
o_dr.flexyjerkov

that would take too long, maybe if i make it for TF2 though :P

Old 11-22-2006, 07:50 AM   #249
o_luminous

if i was any good at making textures id make a load for u, but ive not used photoshop in nrly a year so forgotten loads of stuff might have a go later or something though just for the sake of it
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #250
o_dr.flexyjerkov

Been working on the piping but came to the problem that the spacing between the bumped in walls is not wide enough so if I'm to do this I'll need to change a large area of the map.

Also tried doing trimming round the edges in the ramp room but i have the issue with getting a rounded edge to look smooth as it looks all bumpy.

90 degree angle edge 90 x 90 x 90 with with a thickness of 4 and 8 sides.
Any ideas what i can do?

Old 11-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #251
o_bumgravy

Im compiling and have nothing to do so id love to help, but dont quite understand the queston.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #252
o_dr.flexyjerkov

well i'm at work now so cant do nothing. but i can explain to you this evening if your around. i'll be in #flexy quakenet.org around 8:10 tonight. Ill draw you something in paint so you can see what its doing.

Above shows what the trimming looks like when i create it using the arch tool.

Last edited by o_dr.flexyjerkov; 11-22-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #253
o_bumgravy

so you want a curve that goes 90* on x axis, but also curves down?
like the walls in this pic: http://usera.imagecave.com/bumgravy/pic3.jpg ?

if so, triangles are your friends!

*edit sorry ill clarify:

the arch tool works on Pi so you will get vertices off the gridlines, just manipulate them back on. If you get invalids split the squares into triangles, or just split them all into triangles to be sure of valid brushes.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:49 AM   #254
o_dr.flexyjerkov

similar but not curved down. It so triangles work better than squares? also when using them with a width of 2 or 4 it does not work right. could you try it for me doing an arch, 90 degrees 80 x 80 x 80 8 sides and 2 width and see if its smooth edged for you

Old 11-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #255
o_bumgravy

Ill try it next time i can get hammer open... compiling still, been going 5 hours almost and still doing VIS lol. Dunno how long im gonna be up for, i been awake about 30hrs now, shift at work then stayed up all night mapping and been up all day compiling and playing geetar lol. Hopefuly ill start hallucinating soon.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #256
o_dr.flexyjerkov

heh, i work from 8:30 till 4:30 but dont get online till later so hopefully ill see you tonight if you aint asleep.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #257
o_dr.flexyjerkov

Ok so I've done what bumgravy said about don't be scared to delete stuff so i have now deleted some of the corner walls of the flag room as i have rounded walls of many random sizes so I've re-done them hopefully this will help me out immensely with doing trimming around the edges.

Its surprising what mistakes you can find when you re-look over all the older areas of the map. I noticed that one of the corners was just a carved triangle put in front of a flat wall to make it look curved... So I've now sorted that.
vvvv Picture to explain vvvvvvvv

Unsure whether to make the ramps up to the top floor of ramp room curved as they go down or curved steps...

You think i should give it a go? also the floor window looks kinda silly so i dunno, ill see what happens.

Anyone know where i can get some good team colored textures from? i got the FF_textures which are OK but not enough choice...

Last edited by o_dr.flexyjerkov; 11-23-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #258
o_bumgravy

Quote:

Its surprising what mistakes you can find when you re-look over all the older areas of the map.
Yeah man i been looking at bits of my map i did before and been going wtf? It would be very easy to infinitely go in circles, redoing older bits of map.
[QUOTE=dr.flexyjerkov]

Unsure whether to make the ramps up to the top floor of ramp room curved as they go down or curved steps...

You think i should give it a go? also the floor window looks kinda silly so i dunno, ill see what happens.[quote]
Just save under a new name,then try out your new idea, if you dont like it you can always revert to your old save. I only ever save under a new name when i want to pull out something major and redo an area - Im currently on version 16 LOL.
Quote:
Anyone know where i can get some good team colored textures from? i got the FF_textures which are OK but not enough choice...
FF textureS?!?!! Whered yu get them, hacking the devs?

For team colours youll notice in my map I just use neutral colours then use coloured trim - this affords you a lot more variety of textures - although Im doing AVD with blue defending, so I dont really have to find red team coloured textures.

- By the way I stayed up for like 36 hours before i crashed out at 8pm, sorry I couldnt help you out, did you get those bits sorted we talked about in posts yesterday? I take it your at work again today?

Old 11-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #259
o_dr.flexyjerkov

ye still at work hence the mspaint
also i think I'm on my way to sorting out trimming by re making all the curves i think i've got them all either 128 x 128 or 256 x 256 depending on how large i want the arch.

Made the mistake lastnight of trying to use carve inside an arch and ended up crashing hammer.

Going to work on it tonight once i get home, see if i can get it looking good. I may have to work on making the ramp room look bigger, Maybe make it longer. Unsure yet though...

Will upload some new pics when i make some changes...

oh and the ff_textures, its a pack you can download somewhere on the forums. they aint the official ones tho.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #260
o_bumgravy

They any good?

Yeah Im not a fan of the arch tool, I make all my architecture by hand, just VM and cliparoony. It means i can have nice, tidy brushwork, more control over every brush and I never have to worry about leaks. The latest pics I posted with the curvy bits on the base were all hand made.

One technique I like to do is put down a 32-sided cylinder as a guide, then manually make brushes over the top of it, Vming in the 2d views, to simulate a curve. Its not mathematically correct, but all my vertices are on grid lines and have fairly simple gradients.