Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
o_shaolin

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
We owned you first map :P

Was a great game though, probably the most stand out game in TFC for me. Loved playing HK

Gun: I think the cat attack emotionally scarred him and started the whole thing....
o_shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
o_kani

I love you guys for reactivate the greatest game on PC as a FPS ever !!!

Either Q3F or Unreal Fortress are as good as TFC was for more then 5 years. TFC was the first online game i have ever played. At this in 1999 i used ISDN and didn´t knwo anything about letancy or ICQ. I spent every day more then
6 hours playing TFC. Learning concs ----> learning hand concs ---> learning rocket jump ----> learning bunny hopping ----> lerning defence on every map and position new. Every CW i played it was a highlight for me. My mates from school all played f****** CS. Not me. I hope you guys make FF as good as TFC was. The movement, the aim and the atmosphere.

Please make me happy and let the spirit of TFC never die. Hope the community will be good as in TFC.

P.S. i am from Germnay and i apologize for me bad english speaking

Hope see guys on FF servers soon !!!
o_kani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
o_[p]asphyxia

Greetings and hallucinations to all! As a long time TF/TFC player, I was excited as could be to find out that someone was doing a TF mod. I am eagerly awaiting it's release and from what I've seen so far, I like it. It seems to me that you all have made a great deal of progress. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more as the project continues!

A little about me...

I was introduced to QWTF by a close friend in 1997 after playing months of Thunderwalker CTF (say it with me.... SPOOOON!) and Rocket Arena. It took a bit of getting used to it, but I soon fell in love with it. I joined [P] (The Pact) in 1998 and played in a few memorable matches against the fellas at PlanetFortress. Unfortunately, we disbanded not long after I joined, but several of us took up the torch and reformed the clan for TFC.

For the better part of three years, we played together. We weren't 404 or PF but we could hold our own. We had our share of good times and bad times. After a merger with KoB, most of the original [P] decided to hang it up.

I spent most of my QWTF time as a sniper and a medic. Having the work connection didn't hurt me there. I would drive in to work (one hour one way) after hours to participate in matches. I had a blast! When TFC came out, I started as a soldier, but fell victim to a poor cable connection at home and became quickly discouraged at my drastic decline. I then decided to take up a new career as an engineer and that seemed to be the answer I was looking for.

My clan was one of the classiest clans around. We didn't break any records, take any league by storm (#20 in OGL, STA Silver, TFL Division 2) but we played with honor and won or lost graciously. We didn't believe in trash talking, complaining about other clans, or badmouthing the dirty players. We have had three meetings of our members in Chicago, Florida, and Washington DC and we have developed an almost brotherly bond.

That's enough waffling....

Keep up the good work! If you fellas need some late night testers... I will gladly help!
o_[p]asphyxia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
o_frontovik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Well i played TFC through my teens tbh my older brother formed a clan called XsD about 3 years ago , and i just never stoped playing tfc since then
I was in XsD too but at that time I used the nickname Ortz. Unfortunately for me, all the other players became better and I regret now that I complained a lot at not being picked to play

Before that I was in a clan which used a pyro, spy and medic on offence so the enemy flag room often became a pit of spam, but most of the time I played engineer or sniper on casbah and well. I remember a bug on Well where you could see enemy snipers through one of the battlement walls, which I used shamelessly to get those "fast reaction" kills.

After XsD I played CS and DoD, which is when I started using the nickname frontovik, as I thought it more fitting for a second world war game. Recently I've started playing TFC again and I'm still crap
o_frontovik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2005, 06:05 AM   #5
o_lithium

It's a freakin long story , i was 12 ( now i'm 19 ) awww , QuakeTf was awesome i played a few months before HL got released , i played some DM until TfC came out , played it until i steam came out , i quit and i came back for a few months then the community was crashing down sooo i took a break and that's when i flipped out , looking at PlanetHalflife , i was like , OH NO , YOU ARE F***ING KIDDING ME , and since then , i visit the mod's website everyday.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2005, 05:16 AM   #6
o_bullurine

I got my first glimpse of TF way back in 1999 when i went down the street to my brother's friend's house. He was playing on 2fort and was the sniper. It looked like so much fun i couldn't wait to get the game myself, but because of my crappy 85Mhz Macintosh i couldnt play it at all. I finally got it in 2000 after getting a sweet 800Mhz comp and have played it on and off since.

I played hardcore for 2+ years. Going mostly freelance onto any server i found interesting. I first joined the clan -=ES=- for a little bit, then I eventually settled into clan [HBA]. they were taking almost anyone who would show up at the saturday practices, so along with me came a bunch of newbs and unskilled players. I fragged for a while, getting my ranks up to one of their top most active members. Then it all went downhill from there.

About 2002 we decided to join a clan match league. By then our clan leader Whiteboy hardly showed up anymore. Conflicts on who would be on which team along with no one taking control created chaos within the clan. Fed up with our divided clan, me and pal Billastrilla left the clan to make our own. The Dark Shadow Empire was born.

Clan [DSE] had a rough start. Our goal was to get enough members and join a league. With the help of our website and a fellow clan member with a server we finally established solid ground. We joined a league but didnt do too well. We constantly had problems getting enough people to show up. The clan went on for a few months until our clanmember who owned the server had his little brother start playing in his place. He was annoying as hell and he even closed down the server! our strongest assest was gone and we soon disbanded.

I still play on occasion, taking breaks every once in a while. I haven't played in proly 6 months. Im sure once FF is out ill play for another solid 2+ years. this mod looks extremely promising. Probably the main thing that kept me interested in TFC for so many years was Custom-TFC (cool site) they always came out with new and interesting models to intise me to download and test it out.

The TFC community rocks and i want to become a more active part of the community than i was before. TFC was always more entertaining and more exciting to me than CS. lets hope FF does the same! When i first heard of this mod, ive been addicted again ever since. Thanks guys and keep up the awesome work!
o_bullurine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2006, 11:32 PM   #7
o_naproxen500mg

Right on BullUrine!

Whiteboy is still running people off. 10 years of bliss? Don't think so. Happy Anniversary HBA! LMAO!
o_naproxen500mg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #8
o_nezumi

Waugh! New people! Change makes me uncomfortable and grouchy!

To be serious: Welcome. There's coffee tea and refreshments on the table. The trolls will be along to haze you presently, and from me: Doyooo!
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
o_josh1122

I started TFC back in 2000 I believe. I lived right down the street from my cousins house and one day when I went over there I saw him playing this game and sat there and watched him play and thought ''damn this game looks pretty cool''.

He eventually let me play it on his computer, the first map i ever played was Hunted,at least from what i can remember it was. Needless to say i got my ass handed to me pretty good, but i tried out every class to see what everyone was capeable of.

The next week I picked up Half Life for myself so I could play TFC too along with my cousin. After I practiced and got beat by him dozens of thouands of times he told me about this league that he was in that played matches every week, it was called Area51, he was currently on the team [PG].

I joined the league shortly after he told me about it and got put on GK, which was short lived because the leaders of that team were total assholes and was aked to be removed from that team and asked to be switched to the newest team in the league, [LRC] Little Red Corvette, Which turned out to be the greatest decision i ever made in the world of TFC.

We started off as a total noob team but stayed together and got alot better as a team, working hard with eachother every season and eventually we won the league title in Season 5. After the Area51 finally died i decided to try out the STA clan scene.

Starting out in STA 5v5 with a bunch of friends from the Area51 league, we formed [iF]. We lasted a few months,we didnt do too shabby but eventually we broke because of members running into RL issues. I finally then decided to try my luck in 9v9 with tM. which lasted short too before it ended up dying.

I eventually got good enough to play at higher levels of gold/plat level as soldier and stayed clanning at that level for awhile,eventually dropping down to Bronze here and there to play with old friends as i did in a clan i formed called [gOg] Girls on Girls..even though we had no girls in the clan lol.

I retired from TFC shortly after being on [D.v.S] because of real life issues with my family. But in the end I started ''getting the itch'' to want to play again and did come back, ive been back for 4 months now,still trying to shake off the rust,currently playing Sundays to Thursdays for CbK,BoA and iE.

Hearing about FF excited me,basically just because of the way it looked. I had always wondered if TFC was polished and had better graphics, what would it look like? Well I found my answer. I even bought HL2 last week so id be able to get FF as soon as it comes out. If my anticipation for a new Fortress game wasnt enough, Valve announces TF2. Now people can say what they want about ''omg sucky cartoony graphics,ITS NOT TFC!'' but I for one think the game looks really good and am excited about both Fortress games.

Plain and simple, the reason why i still play TFC is because of the community. I'll always say the Area51 community is better than any other gaming community ive been in and im sure alot of other members can say the same. That community was like one big family to myself and i'll always remember my time spent there and the friends i made.

I look forward to continuing Fortress Forever and TF2 in the revived Area51 League in due time SUNDAY BRUNCH WILL BE BACK
o_josh1122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #10
o_masterjeff

Its kinda funny, I started pubbing shorty after TFC was released and have been clanning in TFC since Jan 2000 and I only heard of Area51 just before it died. I had heard of Andy Hodges but really didn't pay attention to the threads devoted to him. Anyone care to inform me on how Area51 worked? I don't know many people that played it in.
o_masterjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #11
o_monks

[DSE] Dark Shadow Empire

yo BullUrine i dont who the hell u r but u should kno me
r u the guy name [DSE]paginho-BR
well i'm [DSE]SuperDragon the one who is annoyin as hell
if u r paginho-BR then u should listen
u the one who ban everyone the whole server
ok u ban me for no reason cuz of [DSE]PrOsNiPeR words
n besides dat time i dunno how to use admin command
the reason Prosniper gave me dat cuz wen he's not in the server i can in charge at anything
also one more thing u kno the clan [HBA] well its gay
i join dat in past 3 months n i got ban for no reason at all cuz i help [HBA]3LeggedDog if u kno who is he
well he got ban too
i saw ur comments bout HBA well thank you for ur comments about dat thing
but wen u said bout Pro's brother dat annoyin i dont forgive u n trust me u r [DSE]paginho-Br
cuz u ban me after wen Pro took my admin away
Dark Shadow Empire was a good clan until u show up n started to ban ppl away
anyway if ur not paginho-BR then who u r
then maybe u r [DSE]SON_GET_OUT_OF_MY_LAWN
cuz i remember i ban u by accident so srry
well thank you for readin this comments
n plus it happens like 4 yrs ago i think around there so can u stop actin like [HBA]Whiteboy does
talk bout him he's just mad cuz [DSE] have more members than his
n now he still complain bout it cmon 4 yrs ago n still forgive wtf
well i hope u read this comments very clearly!!!
o_monks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #12
o_roadrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by monks
well i hope u read this comments very clearly!!!

Sorry, that final statement added to that post just made me laugh...I have no idea who either of you are and I haven't read the other guy's post. But ha
o_roadrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #13
o_naproxen500mg

Monks and BullUrine

I saw where a couple of people posted some stuff on the [HBA] Forum and it didn't stay on long. I guess the brainwashing continues as well. Evidently, he doesn't want his "faithful" to know the truth. Remove this, WhiteToy! Now go and post on your forum how you're being bashed so your "faithful" will show compassion and pat you on yer little hiney. God knows you've trained 1000's and 1000's of people. You should have quite an entourage by now..............NOT!
o_naproxen500mg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2005, 05:31 AM   #14
o_shauntron

First time I hopped on TFC it was right after I first bought half life in 99 (I was 12 at the time) and I was attempting to play online with 56k... I joined an empty Hunted server and was quite put-off by how slowly the crowbar swung so I didn't try again until a few months later. That was when I got DSL It was awfully daunting at first, getting used to the maps and the classes and dealing with all the incredibly skilled people but obviously the more I played it, the better I got. Since then i've been in and out of TFC, usually taking breaks from CS when it got boring/frustrating, from DOD when the Axis kills everyone all the time, or from UT when server modifications got too stupid. I once even took a break from the HL2 single player to ease into some TFC. I feel that all the maps and classes in TFC are well balanced, and the required teamwork has rarely been matched by other games. It's been a crazy-fun 6 years and im looking forward to many more.
o_shauntron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2005, 06:04 AM   #15
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Hmmnn...let's see... The first experience I had with "online" multiplay DM was on DWANGO....played a little qwtf...but did not catch fire until Half Life. I picked up HL early in 99 and, over the summer, I started crossing paths with a few THD Clan members. They were nice and good players. Pyrocat stands out most in my mind. At that time I started getting interested in 3 Clans. Talked with THD, CA and 30+. 30+ was tougher to get into as I seem to recall that it was invite only. After talking with Xarnon in THD and spending some time pubbing with him and a few other members I was invited to join. Played few matches. One of the most memorable was the match against a Euroclan DICE where the lag was horrendous....I was D on the 2fort Elevator. By the time I realized that someone had jumped down the elevator and detted the pipes he was already on the bridge with the flag....nice....

Old story....but THD blended with CA and VYL to form Resurgence. With the dynamic personalities within Resurgence it's days were numbered. Out of it's ashes 404 was formed and I followed my friends and clanmates and have been there ever since.

The old netcode had it's pros and cons....one the the best HPB snipers I ever saw was my very own clanmate Arcane. No one EVER sniped like him with a 600 ms ping...

People who's only experience is pubbing or even teamplay on TPF servers miss alot of the experience. There is nothing in this world like playing a match. The Rush of Adrenalin....the joy...the frustration....but when your team is all synced up...there's no feeling like it at all.

I ran a server myself for years and was one of the chief architects of 404-LN....which was the Late Night contingent....whether we were clowning around on a 404 server or invading various public servers (who can forget 6 SG's in the water of 2morfort and our soldiers knocking the flag carriers into the water.......) we always had fun. Along those lines FNF (Friday Night Fights) was formed. A precursor to this was a webpage I crafted after a particular nasty go round with league admins over a clan that 404 did not have any particular love for... I called it the "LFL" or Llama-free League....it was, in part, that upon which FNF came to be formed on...particularly memorable was the night Fisich fell asleep while admining....

Personally, the game changed dramatically with the loss of the Super Powerful concs and the change of the mirvs. There were other things I did not like....reducing the power of the pyro...few things more fun than burning snipers through the roof of the Snipers Deck in fort.... And I did not like the "new" netcode.... Then other things as vALVE seemed to facelift the game to make it easier for newbs (IMO). Part of the fun of the game was the effort it took to master certain things.....back in the day....we could go coast to coast in Rock2 in seconds....exploit the door to the gas chamber and have invulnerability to get us back to the office....annoying? Yeah...we'd eventually run out of concs....speaking of which...I got booted off of Yiffy Foxies for concing with the flag. "It's an exploit and you were warned" was the explanation I received...whatever!

Anyway, seemed like the community eventually turned nastier or maybe I grew less tolerant. Too many mouthy punks running their mouths. I eventually left IRC and online play. I am excited at the prospect of FF but I am hesitant to go back to online play just because of how people behave....or I might build a new server so I can send the jerks to where they belong....permaban....

ok...file this under tl;dr
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2005, 06:15 AM   #16
o_voipme

TFC was the first game I ever truly played regulary. It allowed me to meet such an incredible amount of awesome people, and an incredible amount of questionable people. But for a span of 5 years or so, TFC was one of the best parts of my life that I can remember.

All of the nights learning how to conc, how to rocket jump, how to do all those things that made the newbies go "WOW! HACKER!", etc. None of it could have been possible for all of the people that I've known throughout my clanning days and my pubbing days.

I started off TFC just randomly playing from server to server as an unknown player going by the name of p-Nasty. Not really understanding why I was getting my ass kicked constanly by those players that could come in and utterly own the maps. After some time (I'm not too sure at this point), I ended up joining what would be known as my first clan, Xtreme Players, or X-P. Being a total noob clan, it quickly disintegrated and everyone went their separate ways. I was more or less passed off to what would become the only other clan I have played in, Tortured Minds, tM.

Amazingly, I passed their tryout and was let into the clan. Not getting much playtime (mainly due to the fact that I couldn't get IRC working), I spent a lot of it attempting ot pub with clan members. Necrobrain, Arcadion, Twitch/Battery, Dan/Vent, Ally/Celeste, and all of those other resident tM folks that I spent way too many hours getting to know by playing against them, with them, and of course, playing multiplayer notepad with them. They are the reason why I stayed in this community for so long. Playing the game was more of a hassle than anything at the end of my career in TFC.

That is why I'm here. I'm here to see this mod take off much like TFC did and build up a similar base of players that formed the community that is still making this. Judging by the list of people directly responsible for developing this, I can see we're in good hands with old school players such as Schtoofa, Dospac, Mulchman, and FriedBunny. (Sorry to the rest of the team, I either don't remember you or never have heard of you. :P)

p-Nasty
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2005, 11:16 AM   #17
o_decoymilk

I just stopped by to say that I truly hope this MOD can succeed where TFC ultimately fell short, by having a community that embraces sportsmanship and friendly competition, that encourages new comers to learn and succeed and does not tolerate any bullshit from anyone who thinks that they are above the game and it's players.

Hello to all the old school TFC fellas, and hello to all those who have just found their way here.

The best part about Fortress Forever is that it's a fresh start, we're all "newbs," and I hope that when it's done I will have as much fun learning to play it and meeting people who enjoy the game as I did with TFC back in 1999.

Thanks Dospac for pointing me here, I will keep an eye on this project, for sure.
o_decoymilk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2005, 08:25 AM   #18
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
np, thanks for stoppin by, dm. Looks pretty sweet huh?
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #19
o_sk

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I never really played online multiplayer games. Too busy with consoles I guess. Only briefly tried Quake with a joypad (I wondered how others managed to look up/down so quickly. I found TFC when visiting a friends house at college. After having a quick go (with a mouse) I managed to borrow Half-Life off a friend. I download the HL update and the individual download for TFC (ISDN in college was the shit back then!). I basically lived on Demons servers with rock2 being my favourite map. I didnt get on with wireplay since I wasnt a BTInternet user at the time and also the shit client you had to install. Looking back though I praised GameSpy at the time . After a time I joined a few mess about clans. I finally joined +SA+ which was really my first serious clan. We never really did too well and lost pretty much every match we played
Was fun though and after a very few number of games the clan just fizzled out. I joined BarrysWorld as a public admin after not too long and also joined the BarrysWord TFC League (BWTFCL) as a ref. Season 6 of the league I took on an admin role and sadly pretty much ran the league by myself with the help from some refs. I closed the league at this point since teams were hard to find and others weren’t interested in the league. BarrysWorld got brought out by Game UK and renamed to Game.Net. Shortly after I joined Jolt as a public admin and im still there today. Game.Net disappeared along with my TFC memories. I do miss reffing games as I have never considered myself to be as good as many others. So I do enjoy watching others, being a ref you get exactly this. I tend to live at the www.DemoCentre.net viewing every demo that gets posted there. If there’s any leagues that need an active ref/admin then im still around!
I currently run a website which has been quite some fun, I also host a small SvenCoop server which has been the #1 UK server for some time now.
No one tends to remember me but I suppose thats what you get when your not playing the game professionally.
o_sk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #20
o_smack

TFC hooked me because of Dustbowl.

I remember playing Doom DM on the original WON way back in the day, and playing Quake DM on office lans and such. In fact, I've been playing video games since before Space Invaders, and i always dreamed of more of a team game, like storming a castle with a team of players against another team.

in 1998-99 i wasnt gaming much, but a friend of mine bought HL and showed it to me in 2000, it was obviously a great game and I had just gotten a new comp and my first cable connection. He also described TFC to me and I tried it but the CTF gameplay just didnt do it for me that much and i wasn't totally motivated to play.

after i finished HL, in the fall of 2000 i tried TFC again, and my friend showed me a new map called Dustbowl, where one team only attacked and the other team only defended. Now THAT was team-based FPS play the way I'd always visualized it. in those days, DB wasnt the non-stop spam fest, people hadn't perfected those techniques yet.

But at the time, there was no other avenue for that different style of play, there was one map for it, and it was basically ignored by all the leagues. so over the next two years, along with perhaps a couple of dozen other instrumental people who really liked this attack/defend style of play, i directed my efforts toward getting it recognized and played.

i became the leader of the premier a/d clan, 3v. I was in on the creation of the first two a/d leagues, including the Attack-Defend League which became the main (and now only) league for a/d play. i did two popular .avis which displayed attack/defend play to others.

now, a/d is a popular and recognized sub-genre of TF play. when UT2K4 came out with Assault mode or when FF announces a/d maps on their initial map list (thanks to Zouave, another tireless champion of this different style of play), i feel happy that my efforts were not in vain. a/d play is a TFC innovation and keeping it going is what will motivate me to be involved with FF and getting it played and popularized.
o_smack is offline   Reply With Quote