Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
battery
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
It's done. One of the reactor has lost all water, leaving fuel rods exposed. Total meltdown is immient. Let's hope the containment shell will live up to its spec.

What surprises me is that there is no containment shell whatsoever to quarantinethe spent fuel rods! These rods contain all kind of nasty, unstable isotopes. Radioactive iodine, carbon, oxides, gold....
And guess what, these spent fuel generate intense heat. Unless cooled by water, it can melt and transform into a messy radioactive ooze. Yet, they didn't put a bombshell around this thing.

Honestly, what is this shit? I thought nuclear technology has advanced far enough over the decades.

I am stocking up food and drinks imported from Japan. For all I know, we won't be buying Japanese imports for a long time to come.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #22
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery View Post
It's done. One of the reactor has lost all water, leaving fuel rods exposed. Total meltdown is immient. Let's hope the containment shell will live up to its spec.

What surprises me is that there is no containment shell whatsoever to quarantinethe spent fuel rods! These rods contain all kind of nasty, unstable isotopes. Radioactive iodine, carbon, oxides, gold....
And guess what, these spent fuel generate intense heat. Unless cooled by water, it can melt and transform into a messy radioactive ooze. Yet, they didn't put a bombshell around this thing.

Honestly, what is this shit? I thought nuclear technology has advanced far enough over the decades.

I am stocking up food and drinks imported from Japan. For all I know, we won't be buying Japanese imports for a long time to come.
Japan took two Atomic bombs and eventually rebuilt cities in the wake of that damage. Whatever gets thrown out by these reactors will be minor by comparison and it will hardly hit all of Japan.

So long as you're beating on the age of the tech at Daiichi...how many facilities in the world can take a near hit from a 9.0 earthquake and then a tsunami and not have serious containment or recovery problems?

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #23
battery
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
Japan took two Atomic bombs and eventually rebuilt cities in the wake of that damage. Whatever gets thrown out by these reactors will be minor by comparison and it will hardly hit all of Japan.

So long as you're beating on the age of the tech at Daiichi...how many facilities in the world can take a near hit from a 9.0 earthquake and then a tsunami and not have serious containment or recovery problems?
Well, Germany is already shutting down pre-1980 nuclear power plants as we speak. Also, America has a much more sensible requirements on storage of spent fuel rods: The facilities must be able to contain and cool the nuclear waste even with loss of coolant.

And it makes no fucking sense whatsoever for Japan to drag on for days, before the government "considered" asking for help from foreign experts. They are treating this as a national crisis rather than an international issue. Much of the world's economy depends on Japan. For a culture that puts so much value on duty and accoutability, I find myself deeply disappointed.

Last edited by battery; 03-17-2011 at 01:46 AM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #24
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
If only you were in charge.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:01 AM   #25
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Battery, do you live in fucking Candyland or something?
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #26
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Well, Germany is already shutting down pre-1980 nuclear power plants as we speak. Also, America has a much more sensible requirements on storage of spent fuel rods: The facilities must be able to contain and cool the nuclear waste even with loss of coolant.

And it makes no fucking sense whatsoever for Japan to drag on for days, before the government "considered" asking for help from foreign experts. They are treating this as a national crisis rather than an international issue. Much of the world's economy depends on Japan. For a culture that puts so much value on duty and accoutability, I find myself deeply disappointed.

Give me a fucking break. This has nothing to do with the fact that MOX fuel rods were used, the one, and only problem, is that a fucking WALL OF WATER took out the backup generator, making the shutdown procedure impossible. The design of the Fukushima plant is a GE1, or in other words, it's fucking old, 40 years old to be exact. The very plant that is experiencing problems was actually due to be completely shutdown and converted into the newer GE2 model of a Nuclear power plant, but unfortunately, just a few weeks before it was about to be decomissioned, a gigantic motherfucking Earthquake and Tsunami decided to randomly strike.

Japan's engineers are some of the best in the world. American engineers are fucking pansies compared to the Japanese. The fact that Tokyo isn't a pile of rubble is testament to this fact. Americans can't even build/maintain bridges (2007 anyone), and the American Civil Society of Engineers says that over 70,000 bridges and roads in this country are structurally deficient. Our electricity grid is comparable to a third-world country's, and our telecommunications infrastructure is laughable.

Just stop posting entirely, it's evident that you honestly don't know what you're talking about, yet you pretend like you do. Your posts wreak of the attitude that you're some passing expert on everything, when it's clear you're not.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #27
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Also, America does not have a more sensible policy on storing spent fuel. This is pure falsehood. America's version of storing 'spent material' amounts to simply deeming anything as 'waste' as an irredeemable substance that must be locked away in a vault in a mountain, miles away from civilization. Spent fuel can be converted into MOX fuel, or it can be repurposed for a number of industrial applications. Perhaps one of the best uses is in the bio-medical field. However, know-nothing environmentalists have made it a political nightmare to repurpose spent fuel, and they use scare tactics to achieve their ends. Places like France, where a majority of their energy comes from Nuclear, AND they repurpose spent 'waste' into MOX fuel, etc., have literally a fraction of leftover waste that America does. The french have a single Olympic-sized pool to store ALL of their waste, meanwhile here in the States, we need dozens of storage facilities, and we're locking away valuable material that can be re-used.

The fact that Japan had MOX fuel rods isn't a problem, again, the problem is that the cooling process was not allowed to adequately come to a draw-down because a goddamn wall of water fucked eveything up. Nuclear power and as an extension, MOX fuel, are perfectly goddamn safe, it's a technology that's been used for decades. It only becomes a problem when.... GIANT GODDAMN WALLS OF WATER DESTROY SHIT.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #28
Icculus
D&A Member

I think we should all just relax and let Nuclear Boy put things into perspective.

-Icculus
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #29
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
I guess nuclear regulations aren't bullshit?
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #30
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
Also, America does not have a more sensible policy on storing spent fuel. This is pure falsehood. America's version of storing 'spent material' amounts to simply deeming anything as 'waste' as an irredeemable substance that must be locked away in a vault in a mountain, miles away from civilization. Spent fuel can be converted into MOX fuel, or it can be repurposed for a number of industrial applications. Perhaps one of the best uses is in the bio-medical field. However, know-nothing environmentalists have made it a political nightmare to repurpose spent fuel, and they use scare tactics to achieve their ends. Places like France, where a majority of their energy comes from Nuclear, AND they repurpose spent 'waste' into MOX fuel, etc., have literally a fraction of leftover waste that America does. The french have a single Olympic-sized pool to store ALL of their waste, meanwhile here in the States, we need dozens of storage facilities, and we're locking away valuable material that can be re-used.

The fact that Japan had MOX fuel rods isn't a problem, again, the problem is that the cooling process was not allowed to adequately come to a draw-down because a goddamn wall of water fucked eveything up. Nuclear power and as an extension, MOX fuel, are perfectly goddamn safe, it's a technology that's been used for decades. It only becomes a problem when.... GIANT GODDAMN WALLS OF WATER DESTROY SHIT.
The political climate has forced us to hide this shit away. Anytime any fuel is moved around people come unhinged. American media is already stirring the paranoid pot of nuclear discontent. Turn off NBC, it's affecting the national IQ.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #31
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
I think we should all just relax and let Nuclear Boy put things into perspective.Nuclear Boy

-Icculus
FINALLY somebody explained this in a way I can understand.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #32
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Context: http://imgs.xkcd.com/blag/radiation.png