Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #221
o_grocam

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The show off "Im elite thread"

Well dinner is served girls

I've started with TF 2.5 in summer 1997 got hooked at the 1st minutes because of its "omg sniper with a red dot awesome lol !" feature.

Afterwards played on publics joined a French clan, my very first one and we even played clangames and joined the ITFL (international team fortress league)
got along the europeean community and well known clans : SG, saints, WK, HiV those were the days.

My 1st clan switched to another game Tribes, we were devoted to this game for years, but as for myself I was still interested by the TF gameplay so I followed the progress of Team fortress classic who was made by Valve and Robin Walker to make the wait of one of the greatest vaporwares (team fortress 2) much easier.

So thats it, TFC was sortof a emergency procedure - a "fill the gap" game.
And it went suprinsingely good at first .. and terrible when years passed community and gameplay wise.

So I made a clan TfP- with a old mate who also played QWTF with me, so we decided to show players our knowledge among the players who never heard of priming grenades, concussion jumping and even rocket jumps.
That way with friends we formed a community, shared tricks and got along with UK players (Anomaly) who were involved on the TFC beta version.

About one year after another version of TFC came up, TF 1.5 who completely ruined the game for once and for ever. Valve decided to apply their "newbie friendly" politic to Team Fortress classic and it came up with a popular game who is now about 2 times slower/nervous than previous versions.

Tribes and TFC 1.0.0.6 were very fast games and TFC became a truck grenades blast radius was ridiculous it became spammy as hell.

So with our former TFC clan and few players of the french community (the most mature ones because we're so damn elite) we decided to go play as a whole new clan for the upcoming Q3f who was a mix with QWTF and Quake 3 arena gameplay - demoman was playable, game was fast and newtricks came up with this new TF installement, this clan was named Rp (rocket poets) and since now we're still together - not with games but as friends.

I ve tried to play TFC again.. few times with all kinds of clans but I was never hooked to it - like the previous versions.

ETF launch was unsucessful, it was too similar with Q3f so my only hope to restore the original TF gameplay is Fortress fever - I except something suitable for players who are looking for a fast paced game with FF and of course ignoring that stupid "newbie friendly" thing.

Source developpement is hard, I hope your project will come to an end.
o_grocam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #222
o_perm

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm a Team Fortress player.

Quote:
*Posting how you got into TFC, why you stayed playing for so long, and what you look forward to in Fortress-Forever.
If you've played NA TFC you probably know me. If you don't, you've been intentionally avoiding me... which I get quite often.

I got into TFC right as our town received ADSL high-speed internet lines. I had dabbled in QWTF previously, but over dial-up it just wasn't fun.. so I stuck to Warcraft, Red Alert, Starcraft, etc, etc. The town I was in at that time (Lafayette, IN) was where Purdue Univ. was doing research on high-speed internet, so we were able to get these services long before even most major cities. Half-Life was released, I played TFC over ADSL... it kicked ass.

I *really* got into TFC after our team got hammered by 404. Those of you that know anything about NA TFC know about 404 I'm sure. After that match, I messaged a guy I didn't know at all... "Dospac" and asked how they did some of the things they did. He sent me his personal demos and we watched them together while on Roger Wilco. I'd ask him questions about how he was doing certain things. From that point on I was committed to becoming a better player. I realized just how good these guys were, and how it really took some effort to become a good player. Little did I know that several years later I'd be meeting Kelly at a national TFC tournament in Dallas and playing with and against the best players in the world.

I've played for so long for several reasons. First, the team-based strategy involved (an offense and a defense) gives the game an added dimension that most games do not have. Second, TFC is one of the few games that requires you to learn actual skillsets in order to get to a higher level of play. In a weird twist of irony, that's the very thing that caused the membership to fade in the later years, and will also be the biggest challenge for this new mod. Can they make it newbie friendly enough to recruit the giant numbers of a CS mod? Can they retain the original look and feel of the original mod and present players with advanced skills that are apparent and attainable?

Quote:
*Posting about a clan you joined or created, its history, and what it ment to you.
A clan I joined was [TDA]. Their history is fairly well known and can be viewed at www.konspiracy.org. Was one of the primary leaders for a couple years, but always acquiesced to Phish, one of the original members and one of the best all-around TFC players ever.

Quote:
*Describing a certain skill or concept in TFC and why it makes the game style fresh and exciting.
The *big* concept of TFC that sets it apart from a CS mod, is the "fun" gameplay. I find it interesting and a bit disheartening when a CS player comes over to play a round of TFC and instantly dismisses it as "unrealistic" and goes back to CS. Was Mario Brothers realistic? Was Tecmo Bowl realistic? Is Warcraft realistic? Is Unreal realistic? (hrm, dumb question?)

The most fun games in history are certainly not realistic. It's the gameplay that makes it fun. The chance to escape into something that's *not* realistic. The chance to excel at something that not many people can grasp. Those are the drivers behind good games. Yes, CS is very realistic... but I think I'd as soon go play paintball in real life as to play CS. On the other hand, I can't rocket jump in real life.

As I mentioned above, CS players will leave many times when they see players moving much faster than they are moving. Many times they leave before they realize that the movement techniques are learned. You don't instantly join a server and have the same abilities at your disposal that a veteran has. You have to work and practice to attain these skills and play at a higher level. After that, you have to make it all fit together in order to be at the highest level of play. There are alot of people that can aim perfectly, alot of people that can move quickly, and a lot of people who have great strategic minds that know how to play a team defense/offense. However, there are very few people who can fit these skills together and play at the highest levels of the game.

I've been passing time lately with World of Warcraft, which is fun... but very repetitive. Winning a PvP battle essentially entails memorizing your combo of spells/abilities that work against each class, and not much else. Two people of equal skill rely primarily on the luck of critical strikes or better gear in order to win.

I've tried other TF mods, but none have captured the quick gameplay with the balance of TFC. Here's to the new mod.

Mike

edit - grocam, sorry, but saying 1.5 "ruined" TFC is no different than the QWTF'ers saying TFC ruined TF. Observe, adapt, and overcome. 1.5 was different, even harder maybe. It added several features that allowed "lower" level players to compete more closely with higher level players. Saying it ruined the game is a cop-out.
o_perm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 01:24 AM   #223
o_fizzle

Zzubfizzle, admin on SHITTYBUZZ.2fort[Or Vote]

small, but close family there
damn server has been down the last few months

started playing...2 years ago? when my brother picked up HL

has anyone played the map 'pyrojump'? its like a conc map, but for pyros with napalm nades/ IC
o_fizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2005, 11:28 AM   #224
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
If I can just make two comments..

Perm: CS is *not* realistic. It's mildly realism-based, but it's not at all realistic.

Fizzle: Actually I just played it recently after not playing TFC for a few months, and I beat it on my first try. The one where you had to launch yourself through the little holes in the ceiling was a pain in the ass. Is there anywhere to go after that bridge?

Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #225
o_perm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Perm: CS is *not* realistic. It's mildly realism-based, but it's not at all realistic.
Paging Mr. Semantics... oh, I see you've arrived already.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #226
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Yeah, been here 'bout a month. Things have been real rough, though.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #227
o_perm

I see you live in Indiana. I hope you're enjoying your time here... I'm not a big fan, but can't seem to escape.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:52 PM   #228
o_wlv

I started TFC a long time ago, unsure of the dates but it was either late 1999 or early 2000. Not sure what attracted me into the game to start with, but once I started playing I used to love being a medic or sniper, esp on dustbowl . After a while I started to realise there were clans around and I got asked to join one, this clan after a year or so joined UKTFCL and from then on I was hooked to clan style TFC.

The pace of the game is what is very attractive, there never really is a dull moment.

What keeps me in the game now is the friends I have made and the fact that I still haven't learnt everything in the game, its very dynamic and there are new skills being made all the time.

I hope FF will expand upon this gameplay and perhaps bring back the feelings I had when I first started clanned TFC.
o_wlv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2005, 01:57 AM   #229
o_general levy

congrats Wlv you are the forums' 2000th user.
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2005, 04:14 AM   #230
o_doc

Bahr Nun...

I haven't played TFC in over 4 years and have definitely missed it at times. Bahr nun...the community was the reason I started and stayed, but unfortunately was the reason I quit. Too many little whiners and cheaters quickly made my pubbin' and clan matches a real bore.

IMHO, after discovering the existence of the FF project, I can say that my appetite is definitely whetted to consider returning for a frag or 2. I still haven't grown the nutz to fill my ballsack to try pubbing on the existing TFC servers yet.

Is it worth or it or should I just sit on my hands and wait until FF appears??

dOC (formerly of *E*)

P.S. Nice to see some names I haven't come across in many a year.
o_doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 AM   #231
o_d

actually i have some fun on pubs even today
o_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2005, 03:11 AM   #232
o_shadowedstranger

Quote:
why did i play TFC for 2+ years? because of the community. period
exactly dude. It is the same people keeping tf alive, cause we all know valve wont do shit with TF2. Before i had money, back inWON days I always played the same servers, every day, every week. I quit for about a year and a half, but finally got my own copy. I remembered a couple of the server names and joined them, sure enough a couple of my pals were still there. Only one of them remembered me right away, but hell it was a year What I hope the most for this mod is to make it EXACTLY what TF was but in the source engine. If you want modifications, gameplay tweaks or something, make a FF2 or something to that effect. I also want the atmosphere. I LOVED the color in TF. Everything was colorful and the atmosphere was great. One example, in your remake of the hunted there is a farmhouse, but it does not go with the feel of the level at all. others, such as rock2 Feel like a complete and perfect remake.

sry for the rant
-Shadowed
o_shadowedstranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2005, 03:13 AM   #233
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

I don't want to start an argument, but I'll say this: If you want a perfect translation of TFC, go make TFC2.

Oh, and welcome.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:34 AM   #234
o_internalchi

started halflife when it came out and really dont like any other game i get sick of it and then i still love it. TFC is my true heart in games but i moved onto CS but I will return when FF comes out. You best believe you got my support. I also started Flawless Styles #styles
I was in H2K Hard2Kill when they where noobs, I left in like 2 days lol, they eventually got good, |DN| Deeznuts, [DWD] cant remember the full name, and some other clans. The guilds i was in where in .mT Mr.T, 00D .012 helped ryu with that guild, and FlawlessStyles [tag changed so many times I was original owner and creator of flawlessstyles].
o_internalchi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #235
o_fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I don't want to start an argument, but I'll say this: If you want a perfect translation of TFC, go make TFC2.

Oh, and welcome.

wtf, the makers last comments were to "melting it down and rebuilding it"

unlikley its going ot be a port
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #236
o_jethz

Ran some Belgian clan from 1998 to november 2003 when we stopped playing TFC. After almost 5 years it got old and I got old.

The first year of TFC was the best. The community seemed pretty laid back and somewhat mature and most people played for fun. Then things started to come apart.

I haven't played TFC for 2 years and I probably will give FF a look, but I think I've become too old to cope with the stress from playing clan/league matches
o_jethz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2005, 05:35 PM   #237
o_schmucky

I've sorta been out of the TFC and in general PC gaming kinda scene for a while after taking a much needed exit from it all. With the recent mod developments for HL2 not to mention contacting old friends who i used to play with has kinda given me a yearning what for I used to love (time pending)

I got into TFC way back when it first came out. I had just recently at the time got a copy of HL and at the time I didnt really understand what mods were, nor how they got downloaded etc. All I remember was somehow playing a cooler version of half life It kinda went from there, I was playing it for nights and hours on end during my teenage days, probably getting extremely unhealthy in the process but loving every minute of it.

I met these two singaporean dudes (Aaron and H20) on a server who happened to be in Australia as well, we sat around talking for about an hour, including numerous crowbar and spanner wars. Having never really joined a clan before, I joined their clan [LEGION] and it kinda went from there. It was really amazing watching us go from hapless newbs who had our asses handed to us, to being a competetive clan in the aus TFC scene.

I have so many memories of wars with BBQ, TECH, DSX, E4E, iRG and making some damn good friends along the way. I still miss those times. TFC and LEGION in general was a great influence on my life, with friends made through LANs and playing games leading to real life friendships away from the pixelated world, still to this very day. It was a very sad day for me, even though I had stopped playing TFC sometime in 2003 before LEGION actually closed its doors. I dont know, I think being loyal to a clan for x amount of years I guess you form a certain attachment to it.

Back when I was really into TFC, I really admired the style of play that the Euro clans had. SHS, BC and DW were clans I always loved watching demos from. It was interesting to see how they improved on things or did them differently to Aussies.

I loved TFC because the people always made me feel welcome, and 'loved' in a sense. Its why I still come back.

I stopped playing TFC to kinda get on with my life, TFC had been a very large part of my life, too large a part unfortunately to the point where I felt I needed a change in scenery. After quitting TFC I went on to complete my computer science degree, met my future girlfriend (who i'm still with to this day) and am now working for NEC Australia doing systems design, web design, and testing for them.

I have been getting the urges lately but my life is simply too different for now to contemplate some sort of return. I do however, still enjoy reading up and catching up with old pals on forums, and offering advice where I can to newer players, as well as keeping up with the recent FF developments and the eager anticipation to see what the HL2 engine can deliver.

Look forward to chatting with you all.

- schmucky
o_schmucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #238
o_[eok]minion

I started off as playing at a friends house back in 99 before xmas and soon made me buy it and start playing. I must of dedicated all of 8th and 9th grade to TFC. Created a clan which some members are still around today called Equal Opportunity Killers, [EoK]. Although the clan died, and rebirth 4 or 5 times it had a impact that changed the way I played video games, primarly first person shooters now.

I didnt mention any names cause there are so many that contributed to the making of it, either good or bad, that you are appreciated and eok will never die, as long as i am around -_-

[EoK]OvErDoSe aka [EoK]mInIoN
o_[eok]minion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #239
o_garland-w

I started at a friend's house playing 2fort for a bit back in april 2001.
Got the game fall 2001 and started playing as a noob on hunted and warpath and such maps. I'm still a noob to this day even though I've been in some clans and atm I play for TLO.
o_garland-w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #240
o_disposablehero

i got into TFC because i downloaded the update that was released for HL the day that it came out that included TFC. since that day i have been completely in love with the mod. i also created a small clan with my dad, his firends, and my friends. we were [LR], La Resistance. i still use that clan tag to this day even though the only people claming [LR] still are my 41 year old father and myself (21). i would say that BF2 is the only game around right now that gives me the same kind of fix that TFC does. i still am looking forward to this mod very much and can't wait until it is released. keep up the good work guys.
o_disposablehero is offline   Reply With Quote