Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Where do you think you will go after TA? I'm not trying to be a doomsayer, but I've heard from many sources, including this one, that the community is slowly declining in size.

Shootmania? Fortress Forever? (heh) Quake Live? The next "big thing?"

I hope Spider Crossings is going well.
Very good question. I'll probably just let my life go to waste and play Guild Wars 2 until Quake 5 comes out and hope it's mp is actually good.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 03:43 AM   #42
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
I have given up hope on another decent Quake game. Quake 4 was just bleh, and Quake Live has so many problems after years of being released, it's unfathomable, not to mention the ridiculous addition of a premium/pro subscription model.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #43
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Yeah I've lost faith in id software since q4 mp, but I'm just hoping they'll do it right this one last time.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #44
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
id didn't do q4 though. It was developed by raven software and published by activision.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #45
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

True...

Also, if there was going to be another iteration of Quake, I doubt it'd be a pretty close copy of Q3A/QL, which is what many consider to be the golden triumph of arena shooters concerning gameplay. It'd be too hard and wouldn't sell well, so it'll probably have a bunch of crap to make it easier and more accessible so it'll sell more to newcomers, but inevitably alienate the current Quake crowd even more. I doubt it'll be a good game that pays proper homage to its predecessors, and what made them so great in the first place. Hell, I play QL in spite of its many glaring issues because, well, the gameplay is just so damn good. Unparalleled these days, in my opinion.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #46
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
I dunno. Tribes 1 (and even 2, even though Dynamix fucked tribes 2 up so much that classic was its only redeeming feature) was huge at the time, and even though the peak for TA was larger, that's largely because there's a much larger amount of people playing games now. The retention rate seems piss poor - but then again, almost no games released these days have good retention rates.

I dunno what game I'm gonna be playing next. DayZ has been fun so far, but still too many CoDkiddies playing it. NS2 was good until around patch 198, now there's no fucking hope for it from what I see. No other FPSes have caught my eye. Maybe I'll go back to T2 for a bit, but I have shit for ping (110-130 pinging from ohio to texas, what in the fuck) and the community certainly isn't going anywhere for that.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #47
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
I think more games should go the pro-mod route. Dumb your shit game down all you want so that people can jump in and have fun. But have like the equivalent to cpma for q3, where it's a high end level of gameplay that's mainly skill based and targeted at comp players.

Couple that with a one time fee I can pay to own the entire game, rather than this freemium/subscription bullshit, I think a game would be a substantial hit. I would easily have paid 50 bucks for a game like QL where I had access to all game content. But I am no where near stupid enough to shell out a fucking subscription just to get to the stuff I want in a game. Honestly how does that even play into a developers hands? Gamers are for the most part younger dudes. And us younger dudes don't have the most stable of incomes, a lot of us are way more willing to make a one time impulse buy, than sustain a sub.

And with a promode, I think you'd see more people all around playing it, and a higher turn over into comp play. You can start of playing the regular game, and once you get to like it and feel comfortable, you can start taking on the advanced techniques and play your promode stuff.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #48
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
I dunno. Tribes 1 (and even 2, even though Dynamix fucked tribes 2 up so much that classic was its only redeeming feature) was huge at the time, and even though the peak for TA was larger, that's largely because there's a much larger amount of people playing games now. The retention rate seems piss poor - but then again, almost no games released these days have good retention rates.

I dunno what game I'm gonna be playing next. DayZ has been fun so far, but still too many CoDkiddies playing it. NS2 was good until around patch 198, now there's no fucking hope for it from what I see. No other FPSes have caught my eye. Maybe I'll go back to T2 for a bit, but I have shit for ping (110-130 pinging from ohio to texas, what in the fuck) and the community certainly isn't going anywhere for that.
At one time I hoped that TA would help make Starsiege or T2 more popular... too bad that didn't happen. I've thought about trying to get some sort of a "reddit brigade" together through the Tribes subreddit, but I doubt that'll happen. However, there has been some renewed interest in Starsiege from what I have gathered now that people are getting fed up with Hi-Rez and such. Who knows.

I've heard NS2 is going down the toilet from other places as well (friends, forums, etc.)

As for retention rates, I agree, most big-budget multiplayer games seem to explode after they launch, then for about 6 months they have a stable amount of players -- then the next "big thing" comes out and they immediately start to die off in favor of the next game, be it Battlefield, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, or what have you. I feel like CoD has the best retention rates (I mean look at the sales from year to year), as a series. But as for each game? Once the new CoD iteration launches, the previous one immediately dies off, I mean practically within a week. By "die off" I mean the majority of the community jumps ship, leaving a small percentage remaining. I guess this is different on PC (I hear COD4 and MW2 have the largest communities outside of the latest, MW3).

I guess it's a shame that the majority of gamers these days don't favor shooters like Starsiege Tribes (which, from what little I played, blew my mind), Fortress Forever (still blowing my mind), and Quake Live. They want flash, bang, boom, headshot, nutshot, 2600 points flashing all over the screen, blood spraying everywhere. Winning a hard-ass duel on Aerowalk doesn't seem to have the same appeal as getting an achievement and blood splattering all over the screen for many people.

And shooters, outside of a few games like BF and CoD, aren't even as popular as I'm assuming they used to be in the pre-MOBA/RTS era. E-sports and popular gaming in general is being dominated by SC2 and LoL, which is a shame for those of us who live and breathe in tough-as-nails, most-skilled-always-wins shooters. Oh well, they're fun with friends... I guess.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #49
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I think more games should go the pro-mod route. Dumb your shit game down all you want so that people can jump in and have fun. But have like the equivalent to cpma for q3, where it's a high end level of gameplay that's mainly skill based and targeted at comp players.

Couple that with a one time fee I can pay to own the entire game, rather than this freemium/subscription bullshit, I think a game would be a substantial hit. I would easily have paid 50 bucks for a game like QL where I had access to all game content. But I am no where near stupid enough to shell out a fucking subscription just to get to the stuff I want in a game. Honestly how does that even play into a developers hands? Gamers are for the most part younger dudes. And us younger dudes don't have the most stable of incomes, a lot of us are way more willing to make a one time impulse buy, than sustain a sub.

And with a promode, I think you'd see more people all around playing it, and a higher turn over into comp play. You can start of playing the regular game, and once you get to like it and feel comfortable, you can start taking on the advanced techniques and play your promode stuff.
If id Software opened up QL to mapping and modding, even with a subscription they'd start raking in the cash. Too bad the game is practically beyond saving at this point.

It's ironic how the only game I've seen do something like CPMA is Q3A, which was already ridiculously insanely bafflingly amazingly hard to begin with. I'd be down for a game like that, though I don't think it'll happen. Fans of those types of shooters are far and few between. I was hoping Nexuiz might bring in a lot of new fans and help restart the genre, but that utterly failed. And now you have spinoff projects like Xonotic and Warsow with their own miniscule communities, further dividing the arena shooter fan base into God knows how many communities -- QuakeWorld, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, CPMA, Quake 4 (believe it or not...), Quake Live, Xonotic, Warsow, Open Arena, Unreal Tournament '99, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament 3, Alien Arena, Team Fortress Classic, Fortress Forever, QWTF (I guess?)... the list goes on and on for fast-paced, skill-based shooters. An already pretty small community that is still a fan of these types of games that require dedication, practice, skill, patience, and time to succeed at is split up amongst about 12 games, and I didn't even include any Tribes titles. Xonotic and Warsow I highly, highly doubt are going anywhere with Quake Live still alive, even if it's on life support comparatively speaking (though Xonotic is awesome, just freaking awesome).

Oh well, sometimes smaller communities are better (not the case for Quake though, sadly). I just hate not being able to convey why I love Fortress Forever and Quake so much because I can't show people killstreaks, perks, flashy graphics, and military-torn environments on a console.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #50
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Guys... Check this out, not all hope is lost!!!

those fucking graphics, I wonder what the multiplayer portion is like?
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #51
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Guys... Check this out, not all hope is lost!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOgNxrJrpJU

those fucking graphics, I wonder what the multiplayer portion is like?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #52
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

I'll be updating this playlist with various scrims and matches:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA37B9AC2134CA1C0&feature=mh_lolz