Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-08-2005, 09:44 PM   #21
o_curly

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Actually, I can't say I've seen a single hack. There's a chance that I've missed some hackers, but hacking has not been an issue so far from what I've seen. Nearly every server worth playing has PB enabled, and is a pure server. This has some disadvantages howver, as you can't add custom models as they make your client "unpure". (and the built-in V models look like shit, they said they need a new modeler) The reasoning behind this is that many aimbots are made to lock on to solid-colored models. Basically your answer is "no, hacking is not much of an issue in ETF."

Oh, btw, one thing that hasn't been brought up before: Bunnyhopping. It works different in ETF. First off, you do not need to use the mousewheel or a script-- the jump key automatically works like it has a script. (and it won't fuck with your firing/doing stuff) (this is good imo, as it helps even the playing field for those interested in bhopping and making it less of a pain in the ass) You cannot generate speed/acceleration from simply straffejumping etc in ETF. Hopping just maintains a speed. You need to gain momentum from either a ramp/elevation change or a push such as an explosion or hit from a sniper/hw. I like this method much better.

Oh, and another thing: None of the weapons go into slot 5--- that was a pain in the butt for me to reach to it. This was most noticle on classes that require switching weapons often, such as the pyro. Actually, the secondary fire pans between the napalm cannon and the flamethrower, making it super-easy. I know, in TFC secondary selects the flamethrower, but it would be great if hitting it a second time would bring out the cannon. It really really makes life as a pyro easier. (either get it out of slot 5 or making it toggle with secondary fire; both is even better)
o_curly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2005, 01:46 AM   #22
o_billdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly
The reasoning behind this is that many aimbots are made to lock on to solid-colored models. Basically your answer is "no, hacking is not much of an issue in ETF."
As far as I can see, that would probably be the most inefficient and hardest to code type of aimbot in a Q3/ET mod. It's far easier to have the aimbot lock on based on vertex counts, which are fairly constant. Other aimbots work on the actual textures that are in the model skin (not the colours, but the checksum of the textures themselves). The irony is that if most people were to download one of these two types of aimbots and then change to custom models, there's a fair chance that the aimbots would stop working.
o_billdoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #23
o_3xternal

em sew enlightened
o_3xternal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #24
o_paddn ur stats

They arent very bright on the maps they port/make... Most of the shizzlemastic maps (not related to craptastic but a close relative) seem to have 2 respawns and next to each other for easy camping when one team has put the other down on O and D simultaneously. I can say about 85% of the maps they have atm I truely dislike with a passion. I still enjoy Well, 2fort... ummm.. heh thats about it. I havent seen much else thats enjoyable. I miss the variety that TFC had for maps but it had a large following for many years. <sigh>
o_paddn ur stats is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2005, 04:44 PM   #25
o_3xternal

They etf webby practically begs players to give it a second chance after the 1.1

Quote:
We again apologize for any headache these issues might have caused you and ask you to please try the game again if you were turned away by the problems in 1.0
No wonder the community is so small
o_3xternal is offline   Reply With Quote