Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Class/Position: Sniper, Spy
Gametype: Spy Deathmatch
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
ff_mayhem

EDIT: HERE IS DL LINK

http://www.mediafire.com/?qz1efg7vycmv16r

Well, I have started 2 maps within the last couple months, and one of them is almost complete. The other one... well, lets just say it is going to be a massive map that is going to take a while. But anyway....

Mayhem is a small map (about the size of fightyard) that focuses on architecture. It has helped me become more familiar with working with hammer, so in reality, it started out as just a test map. It has now evolved into an almost complete crazy complicated map.

It is a CTF map with 2 identical inside "bases" and i use quotation marks because the bases are pretty much just 2 spawn rooms and a flag room. The rest of the map is the mid area. With spiral stairs, support columns, a suspended catwalk, and large conc areas. The flag room has 2 entrances, one through a hallway accessable by the third level platform, and a dropdown passage, from the top level. All respawn rooms have the resupply brushes that you walk through (no bags or medkits). The cap points are in the mid area above the attacker spawn rooms.

Textures are a bit bland at this point, but i am having trouble picting ones that i like and fit well. Also, I am working on the doors too. I cant seem to find a step by step tutorial on how to get doors to work as far as what to name them and what to put in the LUA. help is appreciated.

SCREENS!!!!
attacker spawn

defender spawn

comments and suggestions are welcome

Last edited by Snipe; 05-01-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Looks intricate!

Those grey areas -- will they be replaced with some form of scenery?
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

I'm assuming you mean the "outside" of the map. I really have no clue what to do with it. This is the problem I am having with the whole map. Visual details. The layout is done, I just can't think of any ideas to spice up the looks. And it really needs it, it is very bland at this point. I also have to add all the lighting yet, but I think I will release a beta 1 before that just to get a feel of how the map plays.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
I assume you're going to add lighting and not leave it full bright? Looks very interesting.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Looks really interesting. I'm excited to play it. Good luck with the rest of it.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I'm assuming you mean the "outside" of the map. I really have no clue what to do with it. This is the problem I am having with the whole map. Visual details. The layout is done, I just can't think of any ideas to spice up the looks. And it really needs it, it is very bland at this point. I also have to add all the lighting yet, but I think I will release a beta 1 before that just to get a feel of how the map plays.
Yes, I was talking about the outside of the map.

Maybe a space (Dead Space?) theme would suit this whole thing nicely.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

So, I got everything fixed as far as functionality. All doors work, resupply works spawns work. I'm ready to release it as a beta. I want to get a feel of how the map plays before i finish it. In the meantime while people are playing it, I can focus more on the bland textures and the skybox.

Any server admins out there willing to put it up on their servers? If so, what do i need to give you as far as the files. I know the bsp and lua, but do i need to give the other files? theres no custom textures btw.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Contact me on Steam, we can do a play-through of it.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

finally had a chance to play last night with a few folks. overall it went pretty well. Only had 1 major problem with the map, theres a spawn point that spawns you inside the wall on the upper red team spawnroom. other than that, everything went great.

Thanks to Smokey, Korn, Black, and Ender for throwin ideas at me and giving me some tips and hints. Also for helping me find the problem with the spawn.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
good map played it thoroughly enjoyed it. i feel its a much better DM than CTF. but that can always change i think flow needs to be established just a bit direction a few barriers (maybe not walls but somthing to greate some direction. right now it feels chaotic DM map instead of a CTF map.

spawns has issues but im sure you already know that as well as the fact that im no expert so im not gonna help in that department.

flag room needs work right now its looks like a nightmare to play ctf in as there are 2 entrace 1 you fall down right into the middle of the room pretty much acting like a chokepoint then the only actual doorway you get a simlar vibe having to move up a small hallway into an open room with an enemy healing station in the back of it.

the top floor feels isolated and hard to get to. a cool idea be to add air tubes like in a post office that you could get into and be shot out the other end it would be bad ass. also a few floating platforms up there besides that bridge might make it a viable place to fight as well.

main thing is needs more Ramps. idk about everything ramps but thats your the mapper not me so ima let you figure that out. Some other alternatives include adding rails on the sides of the stairs to bunny hop up. (by rails i mean like in monkey on the stairs by the flag cap they look like a bit rail road trackish.)

otherwise a fun map and its your first that's what impresses me i don't' think id be able to do half the job.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 05-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Thanks wifidi. I will address some issues you posted in this post.

Ive talked to a bunch of guys while playing on rice's server (there was about 16 people i think WOOHOO!) and ive got a list of things to add or change for the b2.

- DONE - fix spawn issue
- teleporters between spawns
- DONE - offensive and defensive specific spawns
- DONE - add turrets to upper spawns
- widen the sniper pole spiral stairs
- DONE - air tube system to upper floor (sounds like a really good idea to implement this)
- DONE - add a pit to the middle of the map bottom floor that opens up via a switch on the catwalk above
- add security for even more mayhem, hence the name
- ADD CLIP BRUSHES ON ALL STEPS!!!!!!!! thus turning the steps into ramps without loosing the step look. LOTS of people were complaining about this
- DONE - retexture everything
- DONE - possibly redo the majority of the map for performance purposes. theres a couple spots where my amature mapping skills are noticable.
- add turrets to flag room that get disabled when security is off (thanks to black for this idea) (ive already figured out a way to do this without lua editing)
- spice up with details like barriers
- lighting!!!
- 3d skybox
- DONE - make the flagroom bigger and add another entrance

PHEW!!!!!! thats a long list of shit...

9-20-12 EDIT: Retexturing is almost finished. Added the pit to the center with maintenance tunnels leading to a tall access shaft that leads to flag room (the grate will have to be det'd to open). added another catwalk and 2 platforms above the main flagroom hallway doors. extended the flagrooms back to make larger and added another platform for defense. added 2 large "tunnels" that take you to the top level (wind tunnel type thing that wifidi was talking about) scrapped the 3d skybox idea. instead i am making it underground, so you will only be able to see cave walls etc outside. added some more details to main room like garage door entry ways, metal trim in certain areas. I am currently having problems with hammer taking a shit while compiling so I dont know when b2 will be released. just thought id keep everyone up to date.

Last edited by Snipe; 09-20-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

well..... didnt know editing a post doesnt bring it to the top with new posts tag. so..... POST!

edited previous post btw.

Last edited by Snipe; 09-20-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I've got b1 on my server and it's looking pretty awesome so far. Can't wait to see what b2 looks like when it's released.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #14
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

FUCKING FINALLY. i finally got my old files back off of my defective harddrive. and this baby was on there (along with 2 other maps i am working on). just gotta fire up hammer like old times and get workin on b2.

been forever...