Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 AM   #21
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkynYrd
*skeet skeet*

I am an astrophysics major... this makes me hard in my nether regions.
Where? (As in where do you study.)

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #22
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronius
So why is this necessary again? couldnt we use this shit on starving ppl in africa to make the world a better place, then invent this shit?
People in Africa are starving because they won't fucking and having babies! What do you think they'll do with that food? Have more babies! Instead, they need birth control, sexual protection to help with AIDS, they need some damned smarts to realize that they're the ones in charge of their fate. Have 20 kids, someone has to feed them and I damned sure don't want to. I have sympathy for those who are truly out of control of their situation, many third world countries abuse their people and there are ways to help them. Sending their country billions of dollars to spend on AK's and other weapons to kill more of their people off is not the way to do it. Besides, we send millions of tons of food overseas, not because we make money off of it, but because it would be wasted here in the US. Do some research and tell me how much of it actually makes it to the people that need it.

But back on topic, this kind of research will eventually help us find more places to live, so we don't breed ourselves into extinction here on Earth.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 12:40 AM   #23
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
Where? (As in where do you study.)
I'm just going into my second year so I haven't really gotten past basic physics yet. I go to Tennessee Technological University (TTU).

Also my degree will just be in Physics but I plan on studying Astrophysics in grad school.
SkynYrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 12:46 AM   #24
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luminous
i dont think that the countries it would "help" would fancy getting another $8b added to their already massive debt
Im not saying loaning them the money.

And lost, why not send them condoms and shit for the money instead of giving money then? i think they'll happily accept. + i dont think they want to be living like shit just popping babies out each day etc.

neway i think i made my opinion clear and dont really want to give any more arguments for it, im quite sure you can imagine them yourselves.

Last edited by Coronius; 08-16-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Coronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 01:02 AM   #25
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

I think it's our investment in technology and science that has improved the human race as a whole.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 01:20 AM   #26
StrickNine

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
I think it's our investment in technology and science that has improved the human race as a whole.
Yes, and maybe this LHC will lead to the creation of 'food replicators' like on Star Trek. Then we will charge 8 billion dollars to countries that want this tech.
StrickNine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 03:17 AM   #27
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

Coronius, I am not picking on you, but I think your opinion is an example of the problem the scientific community faces with the average person. They do not think research like this is important because it has no immediate advantages.

I'm sure people thought Benjamin Franklin was wasting his time trying to conjure lightning with a kite... but now, over time, that has led to a world in which so many people benefit from electricity in their homes.

It cannot happen in one step, but if we don't try we will never progress. I wish people cared more about immediate issues like health and education too, but keep in mind that its very hard to just "go to Africa and give them food and condoms."

Almost every region on this Earth that is considered Third World is that way because of political oppression. Maybe if we didn't waste our time trying to win the "Christians vs. Muslims Showdown" we could do more about starvation and disease, etc.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:33 AM   #28
YomMamasHouse

Some idiot friend of mine said that the whole world was going to blow up because of this lol. He is one of those guys who talks in a casual yet critiquing manner about stuff like this as though he some semblance of understanding by using big words, including the mandatory use of the word "string" once.

Anyhoo, if they really manage to find a higg's boson that would be rather neat. If it doesn't work, well, major bummer.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 05:48 AM   #29
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkynYrd
Coronius, I am not picking on you, but I think your opinion is an example of the problem the scientific community faces with the average person. They do not think research like this is important because it has no immediate advantages.

I'm sure people thought Benjamin Franklin was wasting his time trying to conjure lightning with a kite... but now, over time, that has led to a world in which so many people benefit from electricity in their homes.

It cannot happen in one step, but if we don't try we will never progress. I wish people cared more about immediate issues like health and education too, but keep in mind that its very hard to just "go to Africa and give them food and condoms."

Almost every region on this Earth that is considered Third World is that way because of political oppression. Maybe if we didn't waste our time trying to win the "Christians vs. Muslims Showdown" we could do more about starvation and disease, etc.
Im not saying it shouldnt be done, im saying we could have different priorities.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #30
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
If the government has any dabblings in this (I'm sure it'll be revealed if there's success), then you know.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #31
luminous

the problem in a lot of african countries is that they are either muslim or other religions which prohibit the use of contraceptives, and men being men will always want some action
luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #32
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Geez, thats what the asshole was designed for.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #33
Bubbles
Bueno

Less pope.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #34
C-Aim
Better than Never

If you send the countries money the corrupt governments take it all and spend it on guns for civil warfare or line their own pockets. If we try to help overthrow a corrupt government the world hates us and another, more corrupt, government takes its place.

If you send countries food they eat it, then they need more. So you send them more, they eat it and need more. Impoverished areas don't need more food, they need to be taught how to grow high-yield crops and the seeds need to be placed directly in the farmers' hands.

Its nice to think that your $10 is going to help people but it just isn't. The current system of handouts/aid is obviously corrupt and saying things like we should have better priorities in spending money is meaningless without a real solution.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #35
SkynYrd
Cry some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Aim
...meaningless without a real solution.
Wholesale massacre of militant extremists and their followers...

Whoops did I let that slip out?

Old 08-18-2007, 06:17 AM   #36
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Build a nuclear reactor in poor places in Africa, have the UN operate and control it until the local government can stop being a bunch of irresponsible fucks.

Start a "AK-47s for food" program.

Donate livestock and other things that will grow. You know, the gifts that keep on giving.

But hey, they are helping themselves plenty. After all, they have some pretty innovative people over there.

You know what is one of the most valuable things in Africa? A solar panel. They can get a decent solar panel for USD$100 or so. With that solar panel, they can charge a car battery, which in turn can power a television, radio, or some lights for a few hours. This allows them to study at night and further their education, enjoy some entertainment, etc.

How many of you can imagine not having any power at all? Or running water? This is what these people deal with every day. Hell, there are millions of people who do not even have access to clean water, much less plumbing.

That aside, scientific research is just as important. What if the discoveries made via this reactor lead to cold fusion, which would probably be the cheapest sort of power there is? In the hands of the Europeans you know that it will not have "issues that need to be studied" that are just a delaying tactic so the oil companies can fill their coffers for a few more years.

Bah.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #37
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

UN? Running a nuclear reactor? Non-corrupt third world country governments? How about we focus on getting them to an area where they can actually live first.

UN... managing something... lol.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #38
halo

I'm keeping my crowbar at the ready just in case.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #39
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
UN... managing something... lol.
qft

edit: If Gordon Freeman signs on to this project kiss your collective butts goodbye!

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2007, 01:22 AM   #40
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

OMFG! We're doomed!