Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 01-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
o_farmer

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Question about round stuff

I beg everyone to excuse this uber-noob question, but what's the best way to do such stuff in Source?

That's just a simple pipe going through a ceiling the way I used to it in HL1. Everything done manually with the vertex tool. I've seen tunnels and closed pipes done with displacements, can it be used for this purpose too? How much more efficient would displacements be on that example?

Second one, the famous round edges. I'm not a huge fan of them, but sometimes they look good. In HL1 I did them with 4 or 5 vertex-tool'ed blocks, but this looks way smoother. Of course the round thing will get -> func_detail and the backside the usual nodraw, but I wonder if there's a cleaner approach than the "cut-tool-abuse" to this. Or should they also be done with displacements?

I suspect my vertex crap to be totally outdated in HL2 and of no use for round things, a single ramp like the one in THIS would produce insane ammounts of polys to be so smooth. Guess I can't get around learning that Subdivision stuff, eh? I only want to build some small soldier-arenas and funmaps for clan-internal use but they should be fast so everyone has decent fps on them and look a bit like "FF".

I'd really appreciate a good tutorial that explains how to texture displacement rounded stuff. That's completely beyond me.
o_farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
o_nodnarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer
I'd really appreciate a good tutorial that explains how to texture displacement rounded stuff. That's completely beyond me.
as would I
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
o_nezumi

The best way to make brush-based curves in source hasn't really changed.

The first screenshot looks good. You can make a pipe like that out of displacements, although it's usually probably best to make it out of brushes if you can see the inside, outside and end surfaces.

In the second screenshot, I'd pull the back vertex of all those triangles into the corner just so you don't have to put nodraw on as many faces.

Making things out of displacements just takes some practice. It's handy to have a template of what you wanted to make made of brushes, then wrap the displacement around that. Uncheck 'spatial' then nudge all the verticies around by 1 unit untill they're in place. OR if you know how far you want the point on the displacement to move by looking at your template and grid, set the 'distance' to that ammount and move the point all at once. This is handy because a lot of the time you're trying to move verticies by exact ammounts it will move twice when you only click once.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
o__mj_

http://www.snarkpit.net/editing.php?...ame=HL2&id=162
o__mj_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
o_nezumi

DO NOT listen to that tutorial. It's got it all wrong. You'll wind up with WAY more polies than you'll need.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
o_bumgravy

In reply to first post, I would chop the end off of the pipe that sticks past the surface and make it func_detail, and perhaps hint brush over the hole.

Apart from that I understand this to be the best way of brush mapping.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
o_farmer

Thanks for all your answers, good to hear that the basic brushwork-rules haven't changed that much. The other things, like physics, displacements, lightning are already 'nuff fun to learn .

Btw. for the displacement-texturing I found a tutorial by trepid jesse on Snarkpit:
http://www.snarkpit.net/editing.php?...ame=HL2&id=174

Last edited by o_farmer; 01-15-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
o__mj_

rah rah
o__mj_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2007, 01:50 AM   #9
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

Yeah, that shit is fairly outdated. We don't use that method anymore as it's too time consuming making all that shit with brushes.

Aside from that, it isn't all that great because Hammer has shitty precision when you go to making shit like that with brushes so you end up with shitty guide brushes anyway. It also doesn't talk about how you should create your displacement brushes because, at the time, we had really just figured that shit out and figured we'd let other people know as well -- there were still quite a few things we didn't know at the time of writing that tutorial.

For cz2 we ended up using this other way that's a lot faster and easier. It's a method that allows for more accurate representation of curved shit. It's a way that eliminates a fucking shitload of useless, potentially fucked-up, guide brushes.

Now... now I would only suggest you use that tutorial to help you understand that displacements can be really fucking useful for other shit cause that shit is too old and wrong to be viewed as anything incredibly useful.

Reading that tutorial now makes me want to go back and strangle myself, but yeah.. today it's got stupidity all up in that shit.

Trepid, what?
trepid_jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 AM   #10
o_a boojum snark

That post reinforces my initial thoughts when I read the tutorial, those being: "...wth? This is written by jesse? Nowai, it's too coherent and has no expletives."
o_a boojum snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2007, 04:24 AM   #11
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

If I actually talked liked that, I'd have kick my own ass.

Yelling shit at kids in Blockbuster is way more fun.

Trepid, what?
trepid_jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
o_bumgravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jesse
Reading that tutorial now makes me want to go back and strangle myself, but yeah.. today it's got stupidity all up in that shit.
I'm sure writing a new tutorial would have a much better cathartic effect
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #13
o_farmer

>t's a method that allows for more accurate representation of curved shit.
May I beg you for a slight hint on how this method works?
All I could do in exchange is putting "TREPID'S RULE" in my server-MOTD or name .

Old 01-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #14
o_sta_sirtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
I'm sure writing a new tutorial would have a much better cathartic effect
Ugh, fucking yea...

Jesse, it doesn't really help us to know "that shit is fucking fucking old don't use that fucking fucking way!" Instead of leaving us in the same position as we were (not knowing shit about curved/hollow curve displacements [although I have the basic understanding and actually have managed to do some, not many, after 10000 attempts]), why not write another tutorial that ACTUALLY explains step by step (with pictures) on how to do that shit (not like the others users who just tell you....oh, unspatial and move shit....okay?) Get writing and contribute your knowledge of displacements (since you seem to talk about their wonders so much ).

Displacement Magic!
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #15
o_nodnarb

you forgot "PLEASE"
o_nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 02:54 AM   #16
o_nezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by STA_SirTiger
(not like the others users who just tell you....oh, unspatial and move shit....okay?)
That's how it works!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:58 AM   #17
o_sta_sirtiger

Do a tutorial on it? Possibly a video one (very easy using that program which records your pc). PleaSe!

[ perhaps do an arch..... ) AND ( but not only one sided, perhaps 2, top and it's actual geometry ]
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote