Old 07-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Recording demo freeze

I was doing quite well as a scout and making some sweet escapes on Congestus, so I decided to take a demo to capture one to make into a youtube video for FF.

In console, I entered record boob for the demo, then I froze, nothing around me moved, I couldn't move, but I could look around, and make the appropriate noises when I shot my nailgun or hit grenade. But seen no projectiles, I continued to see chat messages, and hear voice communication in real time, and see all of the kills and such in the top right corner. I tried talking in chat but I got no replies so I assume they couldn't see my messages.

(Also, when I went spectator, I made the dead noise and changed to the spectator view, but my gun was still infront of me locked in the same position, then when I went back blue, I just went straight back to the frozen position :/)

The console was doing something funky so I took a screenshot, I also had net_graph on and I was receiving quite a lot.

Anyone know what's up?

Look:

Last edited by FreaK367; 07-06-2011 at 01:21 AM.
FreaK367 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Been talked about before no one seems to have a reason why its happening.

For some reason if you are so far into the game it freezes but if you are start it as soon as you get into the server it will be fine.

Also if you are recording a demo and the server switches maps the next demo will be black. Though if you stop it and and start it at the 300 tick mark it will play normally. Again no one has found a reason for this.

My suggestion is do like I do, start recording as soon as you get into a game. Soon as the server switches maps, you need to exit the game, right to the desktop, and then go back in. Just stepping out of a server and then right back in will not work. You have to exit right to the desktop.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
Don't know.

Gwarsbane, I've recorded across maps successfully many times and never encountered that problem. I do often have to use demoui and then select to play from a specific frame myself else the map doesnt load at all. So perhaps thats what you're talking about and I've never realised the cause?

Sorry I can't be very useful.
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 07-06-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Pretty sure it's just Source 2006 dickery, nothing the dev team can do about it sadly.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Don't know.

Gwarsbane, I've recorded across maps successfully many times and never encountered that problem. I do often have to use demoui and then select to play from a specific frame myself else the map doesnt load at all. So perhaps thats what you're talking about and I've never realised the cause?

Sorry I can't be very useful.
Actually yes thats the problem with them, it seems like it doesn't play.

But if you take one of those demos that just don't seem to want to play. Stop it. Then tell it to start at tick 300 or after, it will play just fine.

It has something to do with with the map switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Pretty sure it's just Source 2006 dickery, nothing the dev team can do about it sadly.
Its been a while since I played any other game or mod thats on the 2006 source engine, but I don't ever remembering this happening with any other game.

Something I'm wondering is if I stop the demo record before the end of the map, then start it up right after the map switches if it will work right.

I'll have to give that a try tonight to see if that works.

Either way there is still the big problem of starting a demo after you have been playing for a while. Again I have no idea what causes that and the only way I know how to solve it is to start recording a demo right as I get into the game.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
this happens to me in other mods like insurgency and neotokyo for what that is worth
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
I think it's got something to do with too many actions/entities happening during the initial 'freeze' you always get when starting a demo.

No clue how to fix it though, you just need to start the demo at the beginning of a match or else deal with it.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote