Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 06-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #121
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Blue Team
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
damn, looking nice

and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
hows the fps doing
-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #122
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

This map get a big "FUCK YEAH!" for awesomeness!
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #123
barronofhellion

thx as always.. beetle: well fps are doing really good considering that i am not runing vis , and have taken out all of the nodraw so i can compile it. average fps are in the 200's but keep in mind i have dual 512meg 7950's. i am actually building another pc that will have a bfg 640meg 8800 and dual core 2.4 to do the compiling and rendering and other such long LONGG tasks although im not sure wich one will be doing it, depends on if this 8800 is faster then dual 7950's.. anyways heres more sshots of another compile..

-

-

-
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #124
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
very nice
-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #125
own3r
Custom mapper

I cannot make textures so cannot really comment but I couldn't help but feel a terragen skybox would be better the low res of the stars doesn't really do it for me. In source 512 x 512 is really the lowest you want to go the quality does tend to suffer below that at least in my experiments.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #126
barronofhellion

hmm maybe your right, i think ill take that and work on it, ill make a terra gen astroid ridden moon, and use the stars for the bacground on that, i was going to have a bunch of astriods floating and spining around in the skybox.. but imo your idea sounds better

Old 07-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #127
Zaskar

Yea i guess a little more high res of a space skybox would be nice.

I didnt really think of that cause the way it was now really reminded me of the old Quake star textured warps/windows
Zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #128
barronofhellion

zaskar: yea i had thought i was going to do a skybox similar to how the one in quake2 that rotates around ... only i was going to have just astroids spining , but the same style star cluster looking like thing.. with all the red dust stuff , im not sure how i am going to do this that im thinking now... the windows are really tall where the sky is... ill think of something tho

Old 07-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #129
Zaskar

I think it would work perfect if you just make a skybox outta some nice looking deep space photos. Nothing with large objects or anything, something easy to make seamless. Just diff color stars/small galaxies or something.

[EDIT]
Few Examples:

Search through some more of the stuff here:
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/

Last edited by Zaskar; 07-02-2007 at 08:59 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 AM   #130
barronofhellion

thanks for the reference material, seamless is the key , and the skybox is very difficult. the last time i did a skybox texture was actually for tfc for badlands, way back when it did not have one (a personal one , not actually the one that it comes with now). it turned out ok , it was actually a terra gen one also ... those 2 pictures are basicly what i had in mind.. ill see what i can do,.... although i still have serveral textures left in the works... they are narrowing down... not like there is a rush or anything i plan on really going all out on this one... just placed the rest of my pc parts on order .should be in tomorrow or the next day.. this way when my 20+ hr compile time comes around i dont have to go insane waiting to use my pc again... while also waiting for even the 10min render times i can still make progress... that is if i can pry myself off of the computer i hear these 2.4 dual's are fast for compiling in 3ds because it has multi cpu support

Old 07-03-2007, 04:11 AM   #131
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Actually I got an idea that might work. Instead of having a starry texture, have a black texture with those particles slowly moving around, as if they are stars (that move, so sue me).
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #132
BumGravy
Black Cyclops

Surely for a space texture it would be easy to make seamless because you just start with a black background and just throw some stars and galaxies in there? Make sure to do a 3d skybox with asteroids, that would rock. And a window on the floor of your level looking down to more space so it looks like youre floating in space, maybe like an airlock in the spawn rooms or something.
BumGravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #133
Zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
Surely for a space texture it would be easy to make seamless because you just start with a black background and just throw some stars and galaxies in there? Make sure to do a 3d skybox with asteroids, that would rock. And a window on the floor of your level looking down to more space so it looks like youre floating in space, maybe like an airlock in the spawn rooms or something.
Using any of those pics could be easy, just gotta make sure to black out any of the border stars that are "cut" then maybe select/copy some random ones from the center area and place them close to the edge or even a few cut between 2 diff sides.

The only thing that could be hard, is if you want a really nice one, which uses different pics for each side, gotta make sure the blacks are adjusted to be the same. (some are a bit more washed out then others)

Like that first pic I posted, its really cool, but could only be for 1 side, as something like that wouldnt look right on every side.

BTW BumGravy, remember those pics have at the bottom links to higher resolution versions on the site.

Last edited by Zaskar; 07-03-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #134
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
And a window on the floor of your level looking down to more space
true, actually atm i have 2 bay floor doors at the bottom, i could just have one raised up a bit to look like its open, once tiled both sides would have a open bay door... this would work

Quote:
gotta make sure the blacks are adjusted to be the same
oh i mostlikely would not just use the pictures on the site i would just create them in 3dstudio wich is quite easy, however i have pictures now to look at to judge... those stars are actually generated in 3ds right now, but like most of the textures i have atm they were just tossed up there to see how they fit and will have more detail soon... really the skybox is going to take the longest out off all the pictures because they are 1024x1024 and will require the most effort to not look like crap... esp now that i think im going to do a terra gen astroid moon , with a high detail star system with more astroids in the sky :{

Old 07-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #135
Zaskar

Dont do a moon :/ then when you look through the bay doors it will be ground :/

Also, on 3d skyboxes, can you put lights, or do objects like that not work?
Dunno how bad this would impact lag, but could make a black skybox and populate it with small concentrated slightly varying color light sources to look like stars.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #136
Beetle
Beta than eva'

I think you can put in lights, but i don't think they scale. I could be totally wrong though. I haven't tried adding anything other than models and brushes.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #137
Zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
I think you can put in lights, but i don't think they scale. I could be totally wrong though. I haven't tried adding anything other than models and brushes.
even if they don't scale, can you adjust the size of a light, like the orb and how far the visible light that it emits from it is? Im assuming so since ive seen bigger ones on street lights, and smaller ones on tiny ground lights. Could just use the size you want then, and place them in the area that the 3d skybox will go to.

If your gonna go outta your way to make your own by hand instead of using those photos, then if that method works, I really think it would looks the best, and best of all, unique.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #138
barronofhellion

Quote:
Dont do a moon :/ then when you look through the bay doors it will be ground :/
well i thought it would look cool..

Quote:
Also, on 3d skyboxes, can you put lights, or do objects like that not work?
afaik like beetle says they dont scale but i could do a few light_ambients wich would work.... however for a 2 min compile time without 1 light ambient, it tacked on 30 mins to the compile time... so if that gives you an idea on how much more it adds heh... but i have the new computer parts right here so ill i have to do is compile and forget ... although i dont know if i would want to do that anyways, after i get the green lights in from the side walls , the place will be full of all kinds of colors anyway...
Quote:
varying color light sources to look like stars.
i think that would just make a white color anyways.. i have a light ambient in there already but it doesnt really add much wow factor..
Quote:
the visible light that it emits
well you have some control, but its really difficult to get it just right, from a light source that would be that far away you really would be better off using the light_ambient but at a low brightness..
Quote:
make your own by hand instead
well i had some thoughts about this , i could make my own star field a transparent texture and add it to the skybox that way it would overlay but imo i think i would just be better off doing it apart of the skybox texture..

Old 07-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #139
Beetle
Beta than eva'

in your 3dskybox you could do one of those vortex things (like in bum's map) as sort of a blackhole in the distance.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #140
barronofhellion

hehe the dr. breen escaping model... yea also more thoughts.. but its probably going to be a while before i get back to the sky/skybox right now im doing the main texture for the walls, i have to do the ceiling texture and then another texture for the green vats on the walls (probably will take the longest to do besides skybox stuff) then the spawn area ... the spawn area should go fast but i still have some thoughts about that area, such as where i will place the spawn turrets and how to make it so there is not a brutal spam spot , wich i think i have it planned, just have to make it... theres a few textures in that , probably after that ill start on the skybox stuff...then i should be onto the mirroring phase along with the tweeking.. and the long compile waits by then ff will out and everybody will be playing lmao