Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 12-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
A1win
Nutcracker

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to A1win
[Release] ff_hold

Hold

Download - Unzip to your FortressForever directory!

ff_hold.zip (8.95 MB)
ff_hold.zip (8.95 MB - www.asseater.org, thanks 82694!)

Introduction

I wanted to create a map which plays well even with a small number of players, and so it does. You just simply can't avoid action in this map (at least not by accident), as everyone is running after the same flag in the middle of the area. Getting and holding the flag doesn't simply just give you score, but it also increases your damage to 400% (Quad Damage) and gives you a nice health and armor regeneration. That should give you enough motivation to push towards the only objective in this map: Pick up the flag, hold it and kill everyone who tries to stop you and your team.

Gameplay

Type: King of the Hill
Flags: 1
Teams: 4
Classes: 9

The gameplay of the map is almost identical to Murderball, at the exception of the area at the middle of the map where the flag must be held. Because of that, the gameplay could be better described as "King of the Hill". The area has a border marked with yellow-black hazard stripes and should be easily recognizable. If you exit the area, you will start taking some burn damage and the flag will return to the middle after 10 seconds. You can also hold the flag on the roofs of the four small buildings, which are marked with hazard stripes aswell.

The player who is holding the flag awards 1 score to his team every 10 seconds, 100 Fortress Points to himself and 50 Fortress Points to all of his team members. The player also regenerates health and armor quite fast and has Quad Damage (400% damage against enemies, not self).

Tips
  • You can hold the flag outside the Hold Area for maximum of 10 seconds before the flag returns to the middle. This should be usefull for scouts and anyone who's trying to avoid combat.
  • Knowing this, you can be sure that the flag holder will need to visit the Hold Area at least once every 10 seconds. If you can't see him, just look around until you spot him in the middle or on the roofs.
  • You gain score all the time when holding the flag, even when concing in the air.
  • Use EMPs against pyros or feel the burn!
  • Your sentry gun will also gain Quad Damage when you are holding the flag.
  • There are healthkits located in the basements of the four small buildings around the Hold Area and small armor+ammo packs inside the top floor of the buildings.
  • Four grenade packs are located under the water at the middle of the map, each providing some ammo and one of each grenades.

Screenshots (Click for high-res version)

If the pics don't show, the server is probably down. It'll come back up eventually.

Known Problems
  • When a player downloads the map from the server, all of the five .wav files don't always download properly. The files are defined in the ff_hold.res file and I have no idea how to fix this.
  • The flag texture is defined by a .vmt file that is included in the ff_hold.bsp using BSPZip. Sometimes after alt-tabbing, the flag texture reverts to the normal green flag texture. This can be fixed by using a custom flag model, but I don't know how to edit HL2 models. If someone who knows would be so kind and make one, it'd be for the good of all mankind and I'd really appreciate it.
  • If you try to host the map on your server without the ff_hold.lua file or with a broken lua file, the server will crash when you walk through the respawn room force fields. This is because of a trigger_remove that's used to remove grenades, rockets etc. So don't host it without the lua file.

Feedback

If there's anything at all bothering you in the map, comment it in this thread or send me a PM here or on IRC. The gameplay has been tested with only 6 players, so it can be quite chaotic with 20 players or so. If you get to play this with many players, I'd like to hear how it plays.

Notes

The lua file of this map (ff_hold.lua) is well-commented and might be useful for other mappers to learn more about Lua. I'll upload the lua file seperately on my website, and try to keep it up to date if I make any changes to it after the release.

ff_hold.lua (version 1.0, 16th December 2007)

The custom flag texture (flag_neutral_test.vtf) in this map is made by DiCola. To get it working in a map, you need to include a custom flag_green.vmt file to your map using BSPZip, and use the green skin of the flag model.

The required files and instructions (bspzip.txt) are located here: http://a1win.pp.fi/files/hl2/ff/. You can also extract the flag_green.vmt from ff_hold.bsp using BSPZip.

Last edited by A1win; 09-19-2008 at 10:15 PM.
A1win is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Wow this seems like an awesome map.
Hope too see this map on servers soon.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Here is your mirror hoe . I'll get it put up on the AE server today.

I pulled the link. One problem the flag doesn't have textures. Might want to check your files.Everything in your zip was uploaded to the fast DL.

Last edited by [AE] 82694; 12-16-2007 at 08:48 PM.
[AE] 82694 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
I'll add this to the map pack once that is fixed!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
A1win
Nutcracker

The flag's VMT file is included in the BSP with BSPZip and the flag's VTF file is in materials/ff_hold/ folder called flag_neutral_test.vtf. If you're missing the vtf file from that folder, then I've probably uploaded the wrong zip file... Could you check if the vtf file is in the zip?

No one else has said anything about missing textures after I fixed it last time.

If this is a problem with using BSPZip to include textures, then I need someone to make me a new flag model that has the custom texture on it. I have no idea how to do that.

edit: I downloaded the zip from your server and checked both texture files. They should be ok, and it's working for me and others who I've played with. It could be a problem with the game properly loading the texture from the bsp file... But then again, if it didn't, the flag's texture should be green, not missing completely.

Could someone else confirm that the texture is missing if it is?

Last edited by A1win; 12-16-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Ok I found the problem it was a bad up load to the server. Once I new the file to look for It was an easy fix. I just didn't want to send out a bad file so here is the mirror again.

ff_hold.zip

Thanks for the help I also put it into the rotation.Lets see what kind of play it gets now that it's a final. Thanks for the help.

Edit: At the Doc is it in yet?

Old 12-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82694
Thanks for the help I also put it into the rotation.Lets see what kind of play it gets now that it's a final. Thanks for the help.
Ah good, I have to check your server out then.

[edit]
Also

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

sexy
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #9
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

HWGuy is to powerful in this map. Sniper really hurt too because of the open areas.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #10
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Played it today with about 10 to 12 people. It seemed to have a pretty good drop in fps but im not sure if that was for everyone. So will continue to keep you posted.

PS if you see me on line in steam friend just give me a shout or RTV to put the map up.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:42 AM   #11
A1win
Nutcracker

Soo, does anyone have any ideas how to make it more balanced? I'll probably just decrease the regeneration if nothing else comes up. Also, ideas how to make scout better? I wouldn't really want to just give him some special bonus, but something that everyone can use but scout benefits of it the most.

Have you considered running with the flag instead of fighting as a medic for example? It's quite easy to avoid getting killed by running from behind a tower to another tower through the basement and then back up, or throwing a conc into a hole to the water, standing on the platform and getting conced high into the air, where your only problem are those snipers with a good aim... And when someone pops up in front of you in the towers, just one or two shots with your quad damage shotty should do the trick. When we tested this, medics were getting the best scores. But then again, we didn't try HWG or sniper much. And we had only 6 players. And we sucked!

EMPs are quite good against HWGs, too. I remember taking one HWG down a few times with those.

Remember that the map has a "new" gameplay mode. It's not exactly murderball because you can't just go anywhere with the flag. People needs to learn the best strategies and tactics before we can see how the balance really goes (no, I don't know the best strategies yet either).

Last edited by A1win; 12-18-2007 at 08:42 AM.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
That looks VERY good! And the gameplay looks like fun.
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #13
A1win
Nutcracker

I don't think HWG is as overpowered as you said. He's easy to take down as a sniper or engineer. Snipers can get easy frags in this map, but so can everyone else. It's just that snipers get annoying because they kill instantly. Snipers also suck for getting the flag, so I think it's balanced enough as it is. What I'm saying is, no offense, that it's just a l2p issue and knowing which class to choose against which.

The gameplay is indeed fun, but also very chaotic. I must say that I wouldn't be able to play this 24/7, there's the moment when you can just have "enough" of the map. But that's what we have all the other maps for.

Last edited by A1win; 12-18-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #14
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1win
I don't think HWG is as overpowered as you said. He's easy to take down as a sniper or engineer. Snipers can get easy frags in this map, but so can everyone else. It's just that snipers get annoying because they kill instantly. Snipers also suck for getting the flag, so I think it's balanced enough as it is. What I'm saying is, no offense, that it's just a l2p issue and knowing which class to choose against which.

The gameplay is indeed fun, but also very chaotic. I must say that I wouldn't be able to play this 24/7, there's the moment when you can just have "enough" of the map. But that's what we have all the other maps for.
I like the idea, but agree that it isn't a 24/7 map. still looks great. Is this the final version?
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #15
A1win
Nutcracker

I think so. I can't think of anything that should or could be fixed or changed to better.