Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 10-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #21
Suite307

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Freelancing shit, Living life day by day.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 12:34 AM   #22
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
^ Works in maccys and is to ashamed to admit it
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 03:48 AM   #23
-=Roland=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Can you get ahold of a potentiometer for a Lunar Lander game? Also, could you possibly tell me how to re-attach the coin door?

As for what I do for a living.....

Greenhouse, FTW!
Depends on the potentiometer A lot of games use 5K pots depending on the size you can pick those up at Radio Shack. Just stay away from Audio Taper pots, they won't work right because of the resistance curve. I don't think I've actually have seen a Lunar Lander in about 10 years, so keep that one running.

Is the coin door detached from the frame or is the whole frame loose from the cabinet?
-=Roland=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #24
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Computer repair technician running my own home business which is being beaten solidly by the people who speak the languages I don't (Spanish and Portuguese, which a significant chunk of my city speaks).

I worked in an unsafe factory for one day via an unsafe temp agency. (BTW, L'oreal products and/or their distributors have barely legal working conditions in their packaging infrastructure in New Jersey. At best they have incompetent management.)

I also worked in general contracting, construction, and plumbing on a job-by-job basis with a few different people, one of whom was my father. I helped put up a prefabricated structure (basically one of these, but about 6 meters / 20 feet high). 10,000 nuts and bolts and a couple hundred individual panels. I also got screwed for half of my pay on this job. ):<

My current goal is to become an elementary school teacher. Yeah, I know, fun headaches.

I like how this thread is not just "Hey, what do you do?" but "Hey, what do you do and since you do that particular job can you help me with this problem I've been having?"

Speaking of which...

Question to C-Aim: Student teachers do not get paid? Does it count as part of your college education (and would thus be covered by financial aid), or is it more like an internship?

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #25
gizmofo
The Bestest

Send a message via AIM to gizmofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
I also got screwed for half of my pay..
Whoring yourself out, eh?
Haha, anyways, what are you doing to further the goal of becoming a teacher? Are you currently going to school?
gizmofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #26
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkarnes
Depends on the potentiometer A lot of games use 5K pots depending on the size you can pick those up at Radio Shack. Just stay away from Audio Taper pots, they won't work right because of the resistance curve. I don't think I've actually have seen a Lunar Lander in about 10 years, so keep that one running.

Is the coin door detached from the frame or is the whole frame loose from the cabinet?
The pot was modified for specific use in Lunar Lander games. Basicly, it looks like this: -+-[]
The plus sign is where the modification is at....it's a small pin through the dial pin(making terms up....but I think you understand). It's the throttle control, and hasn't worked right for years, but finally went up a few years ago.

The door is off of the frame, but the hinge in still attached to the door. I have hesitated to sand the paint off and try to solder it back in place, because I'm not sure it would work.

As for not seeing many....most of the cabinets were converted to Asteroids games. (You may know that, but I'm sure others here wouldn't.)
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #27
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmofo
Whoring yourself out, eh?
Haha, anyways, what are you doing to further the goal of becoming a teacher? Are you currently going to school?
No, I can not afford it right now due to:

Quote:
Computer repair technician running my own home business which is being beaten solidly by the people who speak the languages I don't (Spanish and Portuguese, which a significant chunk of my city speaks).
I certainly do not qualify for academic aid (I was kicked out of two high schools) and even if I could get financial aid, I could not stop doing my work now. I need money in the kitty to go to college and then money to live off of while I am at college. (No way in Hell I could work and go to college at the same time with the courseload I want to take.)

Quote:
Basicly, it looks like this: -+-[]
You know Iggy, you do have a camera...

Old 10-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #28
Ginger Lord
Retired FF Staff

Affiliations: Custard
Send a message via MSN to Ginger Lord
Final Year Degree Student

Landscape Contractor in holidays and occasional freelance level design.
Ginger Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #29
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I work for a background investigation company in the missing info field, which means our clients send us documents stating they need a middle name, dob, or some piece of info so we can complete the background check, so I find that info, and send it back. I also clean up documents that were printed/copied poorly and remove info that doesn't need to be on the document.

It's a pretty simple job, but I got thrown right into it, got on the job training right away, something completely different than any other previous job.

As far as how well I like it, I'm pretty comfortable with it right now, and even as the workload increases, it makes the day go by faster, and ultimately speeds up the process of me getting paid.

Career goals, I want to become a web developer at some stage, or work in advertising/multimedia design, which is the degree I will be going for starting in the spring school year for college.

My job only pays $10.50 an hour, but I live in Oklahoma, so the cost of living isn't all that high, and I am almost sure there is opportunity for promotions in the future. In the mean time, instead of just relaxing, playing FF or CS 1.6, I've been trying to learn more and more about the web as an industry so I can hopefully have an easier transition once I get into college.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #30
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Quote:

Cameras are for fools! Ascii Drawings are where its at

Last edited by TheWetMule; 10-20-2007 at 07:37 PM.
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 AM   #31
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
^^^ You know who to blame for this:

Happy now?
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 05:07 AM   #32
-=Roland=-

Quote:
The pot was modified for specific use in Lunar Lander games. Basicly, it looks like this: -+-[]
The plus sign is where the modification is at....it's a small pin through the dial pin(making terms up....but I think you understand). It's the throttle control, and hasn't worked right for years, but finally went up a few years ago.

The door is off of the frame, but the hinge in still attached to the door. I have hesitated to sand the paint off and try to solder it back in place, because I'm not sure it would work.

As for not seeing many....most of the cabinets were converted to Asteroids games. (You may know that, but I'm sure others here wouldn't.)
I think Radio shack does carry a pot that will work, but you'll have to modify it yourself. The one I'm thinking of has a long round shaft. Drill a hole and use a roll pin ( or small nail cut to the right size) and then cut the shaft down to the length you need.
Just checked their site and the one I was thinking of is Catalog #: 271-1714 sells for a whole $2.99.

Normally the hinge is just screwed to the frame, but if it wasn't they had tack welded it. Soldering won't hold unless you're thinking more along the lines of plumbing type of solder ( you know with a blow torch ). Look along the side of the frame and see if there are any small screw holes, if not you can probably add them. Be sure to use scres with small heads of the door won't close right.

Conversions...you got to love them. That's why you never see a lot of old games, they've been gutted and turned into something new.
-=Roland=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #33
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
As of tomorrow, im a NEET! :S :S

But im searchin for jobs tho, think i got one in a warehouse packin medical goods =D
Coronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 PM   #34
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Warehouse work never ends. It is not like other jobs where you can say "Hey, I finished up the Stottelmeiyer report. What can I work on next?"

There is no sense of accomplisment beyond "I finished packing this box". As soon as you are done with one, you move onto another. You literally do the job that they are too cheap to buy robots to do. No variety in it.

I hope to never have to work in a factory again. That one day was Hell; I could not imagine doing it for weeks or months in a row.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:49 PM   #35
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Well, were low on jobs here atm and my moma wont have enough cash to let me not have a job for a while so i gotta.
Coronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #36
Custos

I'm a personal assistant. Working for an organisation that's basically a users cooperative that runs the personal assistance with government money. Pay is actually quite good for beeing an unqualified job.

(edit: Thats PA for a disabled person.. just in case somebody would not figure this out)

Plans for the future is starting a business selling vegan food and... stuff. Maybe some time in the future I'd like to persue an academic career in history of ideas.

Last edited by Custos; 10-22-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Custos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #37
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Starving Artist / College Student.

The Art Institute of California - San Diego
Major: Media Arts & Animation*
Minor: Game Art & Design*
* - switching the positions of them soon
Anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #38
Suite307

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWetMule
^ Works in maccys and is to ashamed to admit it
Fuck!
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #39
neoslak
[NMD]

Send a message via AIM to neoslak Send a message via MSN to neoslak
Firearms Licensing clerk for Humberside Police. Yep. I license people to shoot cute ickle bunny wabbits. And yes, we do have a guy we like to call elmer fudd.

Oh and I'm the rhythm guitarist for The Clauberg Opera
myspace - http://www.myspace.com/theclaubergopera
webby - http://www.theclaubergopera.co.uk
neoslak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #40
Demasu
Official FF Medic

I'll find out tomorrow or wednesday if I got a job with a transport service. I'll start at $13 an hour.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote