What's with all the imaginary rules?

Some examples:
  • Don't shoot enemy offense
  • Don't spam SG's with grenades
  • Don't spam midfield
  • Pyro not an allowed class
  • Don't infect enemy players
  • Don't chase FC past midfield

Why do these "leet" Fortress players have to come up with such ridicilous, completely imaginary set of rules? Is it simply the lack of skill? Why haven't they banned bunnyhopping etc?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
Doompiggy
Banned

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidy
Some examples:
  • Don't spam midfield
Why do these "leet" Fortress players have to come up with such ridicilous, completely imaginary set of rules? Is it simply the lack of skill? Why haven't they banned bunnyhopping etc?
They're just clanners, get over it...

Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
Drunken Zealot

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
  • Don't spam midfield
Those are some pretty horrible rules. Should just get down to business and tell everybody that they need to stay in their own bases and hit stuff with crowbars only.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
fidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Zealot
Those are some pretty horrible rules. Should just get down to business and tell everybody that they need to stay in their own bases and hit stuff with crowbars only.
I have been informed that these are "clan rules" and I was told by an elite "earthQuaker" that this is how TF games are to be played.

Also, only 1 engineer and demoman per side.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
barronofhellion

Quote:
[*]Don't shoot enemy offense[/list]
so dont shoot people ? what do you do make a big wall of fatties and try to block them all ?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Bomber
Skillet

These people are retarded, rolf at them and go about tking them if they keep up this nonsense

Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Thormier

Just ignore them or just say , go play in a clan server , eventually youll get annoyed at people shooting offy though after years of clan play , just ignore them :P

Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Sureshot
Winner

Point 1 and 3 are to avoid proceedings degenerating into a mid-map DM fest.

Point 2 I've never heard anyone use before, even in clanstyle matches.

Point 4 used to be said to some extent (partly due to pyros being pretty useless in TFC), but I think they're more accepted now.

Point 5 really only applies when you're playing 4v4 OvD (as the other team generally has no medic to counter-act the infection). However, on certain maps the medic wouldn't get around to healing you anyway, so there are some exceptions.

Point 6 from a defensive point of view makes more sense. It's usually more beneficial to let a flag carrier go once they're far enough out of your base, to avoid chain capping by offence who have snuck into the flagroom while you're out chasing. It also gives defence a chance to reset and get back into positions without the threat of the flag being stolen.

In any case, unless you were playing on a clanstyle server, I'd be disappointed if someone was trying to enforce these rules in your game.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
pushit

fidy, you were playing on a clan-style server. clan-style servers play by match rules set by leagues. it's just a different way to play, and some people prefer it that way. if you don't want to just randomly blow shit up, you should try it, it's fun.

in other words, there are other servers out there, go play on them. people are allowed to run their servers however they want, no matter how silly you might think it is.

seriously though, if you've ever been in league play, you almost come to prefer to play that way a lot of the time.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

well, the rules are there only for clan matches type game, which are analogous to sports rules such as soccer(football) or volleyball, or tennis.

It's there to enforce competitive gameplay, and to force capping flags, rather than having a frag fest.

So, yea, if you're like me, and tend to play pyro, or just would rather go fragging, then it's not a very good idea to join clan-rule servers.

Some ban you for yard defense. (i know from experience lol)

Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
fidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushit
fidy, you were playing on a clan-style server. clan-style servers play by match rules set by leagues. it's just a different way to play, and some people prefer it that way. if you don't want to just randomly blow shit up, you should try it, it's fun.

in other words, there are other servers out there, go play on them. people are allowed to run their servers however they want, no matter how silly you might think it is.

seriously though, if you've ever been in league play, you almost come to prefer to play that way a lot of the time.
I played TFC in leagues and I never understood these rules. They are, IMHO, made by people who simply want stuff easier for them. If these rules were OK, the developers would define a midpoint to maps and make the FC invulnerable after they crossed this line etc.

I quit TFC just because of these degenerate rules as they ruined any competitive gaming I wanted to do, and it's quite sad to see that these retarded rules are making it into FF as well. I hope leagues will not import them this time around.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #12
Alastair

It always comes down to whose server you are on, what rules are in place, and then what rules of those actually get enforced

If you are on a pub where anything goes, tell that guy to go fall in a hole and find a server with those rules on it.

If you are on a server with those rules in place, either play nice or find a pub. It's a simple process.

Thanks for asking the question so others may figure this out if they haven't already.

-Alastair

Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
Sureshot
Winner

Quote:
I played TFC in leagues and I never understood these rules. They are, IMHO, made by people who simply want stuff easier for them. If these rules were OK, the developers would define a midpoint to maps and make the FC invulnerable after they crossed this line etc.

I quit TFC just because of these degenerate rules as they ruined any competitive gaming I wanted to do, and it's quite sad to see that these retarded rules are making it into FF as well. I hope leagues will not import them this time around.
It's the same as playing a game football (or soccer to you merkans!) in the park with your mates. Sure, you could pick the ball up with your hands and run down the pitch before throwing it in the goal, but you don't do it, nor do you have your hands tied behind your back so that you can't.

The rules aren't about making the game easier, more about keeping some integrity in match situations. However, as mentioned previously, I would loathe for people to be trying to enforce them on regular pub servers. They have no place there.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
fidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshot
It's the same as playing a game football (or soccer to you merkans!) in the park with your mates. Sure, you could pick the ball up with your hands and run down the pitch before throwing it in the goal, but you don't do it, nor do you have your hands tied behind your back so that you can't.

The rules aren't about making the game easier, more about keeping some integrity in match situations. However, as mentioned previously, I would loathe for people to be trying to enforce them on regular pub servers. They have no place there.
That's a really bad analogy since not grabbing the ball is a basic part of the ruleset in football.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #15
Titan

Quote:

About the midmap rule..i have to agree with it..the aim is to cap the flag and if everybody is outside shooting each other than it becomes a spamfest and nobody ends up capping cus everybodies outside in the yard spamming each other..Its quite a simple rule..offy dont shoot offy...This allows them to get to the nme base to attemtp to steal the enemy flag..instead of all being outside blowing each other up..theres 4 defenders and 4 offy..if your getting to the nme base with 10hp with a soldier stood at door shooting you with his shotgun isnt gonna be much fun is it? If you do find that fun then join a mulch server..which basicly IS a spamfest!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #16
Sureshot
Winner

Quote:
That's a really bad analogy since not grabbing the ball is a basic part of the ruleset in football.
So, do you think the rules in football were just 'there' or something? Do you think whoever invented kicking a ball around has been consulted about every rule change?

The rules you are talking about have been tried and tested in clan play, and are active in a number of leagues as they have been found to benefit the integrity of the game. Just because TF doesn't have some 100 year old history, doesn't mean some general rules can't be formulated and adhered to.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #17
fidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshot
So, do you think the rules in football were just 'there' or something? Do you think whoever invented kicking a ball around has been consulted about every rule change?

The rules you are talking about have been tried and tested in clan play, and are active in a number of leagues as they have been found to benefit the integrity of the game. Just because TF doesn't have some 100 year old history, doesn't mean some general rules can't be formulated and adhered to.
As far as I know, there isn't a different set of rules for park-football and UEFA-Cup-football.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #18
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
the only thing ive told anyone else to do so far in FF is to move the fuck out of the way on the conc ramp exits of well

Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #19
Sureshot
Winner

Quote:
As far as I know, there isn't a different set of rules for park-football and UEFA-Cup-football.
Since you can do what the hell you want in park football, they can be different if you want them to be. You might ignore the offside rule, for example. However, if I then went and joined someone else's football game who were going exactly by the book and started complaining because my goal was disallowed for offside, then how does that make me look?

Many rules in football have been formulated as a result of decisions by various leagues, and there have been many changes over the years. I'm not saying you have to like league rules or participate in using them on normal pub servers in FF, but when a general and widely recognised bunch of rules are in operation on a server and you're playing on the turf of those enforcing them, you just have to deal with it or go elsewhere.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #20
LeMaltor

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Some examples:
  • Don't spam midfield

Is it not as imaginary to think that they do not exist as to think that they do?

Closed Thread