Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 AM   #21
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
record "demoname" will record a demo with the given name.

I haven't had too much trouble sniping in FF. I generally manage to hit what I'm aiming for, but there's something to be said for countering the lag compensation. A lot of times you just need to shoot way ahead of a target for any reasonable effect, and sometimes you just luck out.

Sometimes a dead-on headshot - which even triggers blood and a hint - is actually a miss, too. False positives are a real problem with sniping.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #22
Gunslinger

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Erm, I didn't think the Source Engine returned false positives for hits as the blood spray is determined only once the server has registered a hit (i.e. it's not done client side [by default; you could alter this in TFC with cl_lb 0]).
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #23
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Bad news: it does.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #24
punk

I'll start recording some demos then, and see if I can capture what I'm talking about. It seems that on some servers, I don't have the same issue, so it might be a server side variable of some sort (don't know much about HL2 engine).
I've tried simple things such as restarting and joining the same server, and the missing shots still happen. So I don't think it's something related to the client so much as the server.

Thanks for the replies and input.
punk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #25
nad

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Just wanted to say that I've experienced exactly the same problem.

Sniper just doesn't work properly - shots I absolutely 100% KNOW should have connected just didn't.

It's a huge shame, because this game looks seriously good, and Valve have just about completely emasculated the sniper class in TF2 (yeah, I know it's a different game, just going to miss sniper terribly!)

Please, please, please do fix it guys!

Last edited by nad; 09-28-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #26
Nurdbot

Also, the Sniper Assault Rifle seems to be missing a firing animation. Something really off putting when you go into combat for some reason.
Nurdbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #27
Stephen
Sniper hater.

^^ yeah they're aware of that one. Other examples are the single shotty missing a reload animation and the medkit missing a heal/infect animation.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #28
Meathook

Send a message via AIM to Meathook Send a message via MSN to Meathook
just wanted to ask what people thought of snipes having to get a head shot for an insta kill?

I personally dont like the powered hit anywhere shot.

legs shots are always fun though... the panic the target feels while knowing they're fudged.
Meathook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #29
lollerskates

I don't play as a sniper myself, but I've noticed the absence of snipers. Basically you can just walk out the front door without the thought of snipers ever crossing your mind. They're nowhere to be found.
lollerskates is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #30
punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollerskates
I don't play as a sniper myself, but I've noticed the absence of snipers. Basically you can just walk out the front door without the thought of snipers ever crossing your mind. They're nowhere to be found.
This is because the sniper (for me, and apparently others) seems to have outstanding issues, which can't be specifically pin pointed. As I, and others have stated, plenty of shots that should have hit, just don't. They miss, not in any one particular direction or fassion, they just miss completely.

I think FF is a great mod so far, great fun, superb looks, etc, but the issue with sniper really turns me away from playing more often. I really enjoy sniper, one shot kills or not, I just enjoy the class and it's role. Between working and schooling full time, it's hard to find time to play, and when the class you like has some outstanding issue, it's a bit discouraging.

I'd love to see the sniper fixed, or at least a really good explanation as to why so many "sure shots" miss.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #31
nad

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Amen to that - I'd be playing it non-stop (well, within reason!) if sniper was working properly. Hell, I'd even pay for it (I'm going to get flamed for that!)

Old 09-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #32
Kanadwen

Send a message via AIM to Kanadwen Send a message via Yahoo to Kanadwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollerskates
HA, talk to anyone on FFS or hyc | server about snipers!
Kanadwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 02:24 AM   #33
cunnelatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
Hello Punk! I remember you from Q3F/ETF and I will have to say that the Sniper is easier in ETF compared to FF. The FF Sniper has to actually hone his skills.
Eh I played etf too and I didn't find the sniper too bad, but you couldn't afford to ignore them. At least in FF they have a really dangerous autorifle
cunnelatio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #34
NewKleer

so any plans to nerf the AR? there was talk of recoil or something else to make it less powerful, but nothing like that is in current FF. i can take people down as quick with it as with the AC. 80% of sniper kills these days seem to be AR... maybe need to rename the sniper class to assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk
I'd love to see the sniper fixed, or at least a really good explanation as to why so many "sure shots" miss.
and why many missed shots hit..in tfc at least you hit and it hits, you miss it miss, im not even sure how it works in FF? are hitboxes lagging or preceeding the models or something weird?
NewKleer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #35
mixer
Interzone technican

i have the impression that sniping is very strange, as if theres a random-factor that decides you hitting or missing. And the AR is too strong me thinks ...
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #36
punk

I agree, while I do like the strong AR, it's kind of crazy. I can run around with it and take down demo man and soldier without too much issue.
It does almost seem like a "random factor" whether you hit or miss, it's pretty hard to describe exactly, it just doesn't "feel" right...

Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #37
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
AR tweakage is in the works for v1.1
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #38
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
headshots (and footshots) are always going to be the most inaccurate shots for sniper due to the way the hitboxes are set up on the model. When i snipe I always go for the chest or upper leg and hit a fair amount. I know a while ago we had some issues with the head hitbox being off center from the actual model, so thats where some false positives might be coming. Also the hitboxes are a fair amount smaller than tfc so people are naturally harder to hit. If you are getting problems hitting people right in the center of the chest tho, i'd definately be interested to hear more.
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #39
NewKleer

do we have the demo playback controls like we did in tfc? i havent noticed them anywhere. might be worth recording a demo and then playing it back slowly to see where hits land and where they dont (ie to seperate perception from actuality).

any way to turn some visual hitboxes on (ie with cheats on even)?
NewKleer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #40
punk

I've had a number of direct, to the chest, shots miss. I've noticed lately it hasn't been happening as much on the server I've been playing on (ufg's well server). Not sure if it is something to do with some server settings, or a client issue, but the first few days I played sniper, I missed a lot of direct shots. People standing still, I aim dead center and still miss.
I've tried "leading" my shots various amounts, thinking to compensate for ping, but no help. Tried aiming off to sides a bit, thinking maybe the hit boxes were off a little, no help. It's very difficult to pinpoint what, if anything specific, is causing it.

Having played sniper for a number of years in other games, I can usually tell when I miss and hit, and countless times I know I should have hit someone.