Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
PurplePuller

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
FF Poorly optimized??

I came here because I am looking for help, but it seems like everyone else is having the same problems.

At first I joined a server after waiting a couple mins for it to load.

I get in, start running around and my fps is hitting like 5 - 10, unplayable.
So I go into video options and turn EVERYTHING to low or off, yet I still get unplayable framerates in most cases.

If that wasn't bad enough, I get complete freezes due to it seems audio. I will be running and then freeze and hear the audio 3 or 4 times over, half the time it crashes the game with no error.

I am thinking maybe the poor FPS could be related to this audio thing..

my specs:

core 2 duo
2 gig ddr2
ati x1800xt

yes my system and drivers are up to date, no i do not have any spyware/virus, and no I do not get these errors in any other half life or hl2 steam based game.

I will wait until a patch comes out I guess, it seems like a fun game none the less..

Old 09-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
JakeB

It's probably the steam update. It's been using a lot of CPU.

They've apparently found the problem.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Gunslinger

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I have a C2D6300 at stock, 1 GB DDR and x1900x and the only time I saw system lag was 15 people on ff_dm all spamming grens. That was with pretty much all settings on max.

Think that some people's PC's are in a bit of a sorry state.
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
Ginger Lord
Retired FF Staff

Affiliations: Custard
Send a message via MSN to Ginger Lord
There is something wrong with your system then if you turn everything down to low and still get poor FPS.

What C2D processor do you have?

I have a E6750, 2Gb DDR2 800 and a 7900GS and rarely drop below 40fps in a full server with everything on high. With noone in a server I find it hard to dip below 80-100fps.
Ginger Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
PurplePuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger
I have a C2D6300 at stock, 1 GB DDR and x1900x and the only time I saw system lag was 15 people on ff_dm all spamming grens. That was with pretty much all settings on max.

Think that some people's PC's are in a bit of a sorry state.
I can play F.E.A.R Multiplayer along with BF 2142 Multiplayer while running FRAPS to record my gameplay with a playable framerate, yet I cannot get a playable framerate in FF with everything turned down to dinosaur mode minesweeper graphics, while getting random audio crashes. My PC is not the problem as you can see hundreds or thousands of others are having the same problems as I am.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Ginger Lord
Retired FF Staff

Affiliations: Custard
Send a message via MSN to Ginger Lord
Is it the same in all other Source Games or SourceMods? The Steam community release seems to have affected quite a lot.

Just because you get playable framerates in one engine, does not mean you can get them in another.
Ginger Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Sureshot
Winner

Does sound like something with your rig. I have a similar spec to you (bar having an 8800GTS) and rarely get below 100fps. Generally it's anywhere between 150 and 300 in 1280x1024. As Ginger Lord says, try with some other Source Engine-based games and see how you get along.
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePuller
I can play F.E.A.R Multiplayer along with BF 2142 Multiplayer while running FRAPS to record my gameplay with a playable framerate, yet I cannot get a playable framerate in FF with everything turned down to dinosaur mode minesweeper graphics, while getting random audio crashes. My PC is not the problem as you can see hundreds or thousands of others are having the same problems as I am.
As GL says, you'[re PC might be fine with some games but it might suck for others ased on processes running and system setup. Only a relatively small minority of people are reporting system performance issues. Maybe it may be worth considering that it's your PC/PC setup rather thas the mod?
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote