Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Communities, Leagues, Clans and Guilds

Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
VinnytheBoss
Boss 4 all da rite reasons

Class/Position: O scout/med D sol/demo
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Founder of the Goodfellas.
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
4vs4 Cash Prize Tourney!

Okay FF community!

The time is now! Ian.sir is funding a cash prize tourney FF in a 4 vs 4 format. Neon and I will be hosting this tourney along with a few admin's alongside for helpful purposes (To be determined).

Neon has wrote a rough draft copy of the rules which I am sure he can reply to in here.

First place prize will be $800
Second place prize will be $200

We will be doing an 8 week season to determine play off seeds.

After 8 weeks: Playoffs

The top tier teams will be competing for the $800
The low tier teams will be competing for the $200

We would like to do this format specifically to keep things interesting and to not have a predictable set #1 and #2. Gives a low tier team a chance to win some recognition/cash.

So far we have about 6 teams signed up and we only opened sign ups about 1 week ago.

Now is the time to get with players/friends/enemies to make a team as we are looking for the league to officially open after the new year. Sometime mid January.

Please don't feel discouraged about blowouts happening. In any league, in any game, there will always be top teams and there will always be low teams.

The fact that low tier teams will be eligible for winning the "Runner Up" prize, should give you guys enough incentive to just PARTICIPATE in this league for a game you guys love so much.

There should be no excuses!!!

Link here for tourney to sign up

www.ffpickup.com/league

Ready, set, GO!

Last edited by VinnytheBoss; 12-11-2012 at 09:35 PM.
VinnytheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Could you post a link to the league site in the above post? I'm 2lazy.

I kinda like the 2 tier thing, although I'm still not sure that's the way to go. But I don't have any suggestions my self, soo.

Anyways I think if you really wanna set FF off we should try to make this a little larger event that can encompass the entire FF community, including people who've never played before.

Maybe some sort of pubbing events for small prizes. And a mapping contest aimed at comp ctf maps, with some sort of small prize too. I think if we did something like that the entire community of FF competitive or not can come in and have some fun and maybe get a lil somethin somethin as a reward.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
VinnytheBoss

FDA, thats actually a really good idea. Maybe we could organize a pub style competition? Maybe like x vs x on AVD maps consisting of only pubbers?

Warpath, Ksour, dustbowl etc

Last edited by VinnytheBoss; 12-11-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
ian.de

Posts Rated Helpful 14 Times
I endorse this thread.
ian.de is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Here are the updated rules and guidelines. Things have changed from the normal ones since this is more serious with cash on the line.

2.1 Match Day, Duration, & Clan Contacts

Match schedules are posted each SUNDAY night. Matches are to be completed by 11:30pm EST on the following Sunday. Both teams are encouraged to communicate and play at an earlier date and or time.

Matches are two (2) 15 minute rounds. Teams switch between offense and defense each round. Matches are to start within fifteen (15) minutes of the agreed upon starting time. Team leaders are required to contact their opponents within a reasonable time after the schedules are posted to determine and auspicious match time and exchange server information. If neither team has a server, contact an admin for them to control it for you.

During playoffs dates and times will be given to you. There will be a 15 minute grace time before forfeits occur. This is to keep the tournament running smoothly.

2.2 Match Rescheduling

Teams may reschedule a match to an earlier date and or time. Team leaders wishing to reschedule must contact the opposing teams leader at least a day in advance. Teams having trouble reschedule a match need to contact an official for assistance.

2.3 Match Reporting

At the completion of the match both team leaders must submit the final scores on the website. The winning team must also provide screenshots for both rounds.

2.4 Reporting False Match Scores

Intentionally reporting false or erroneous scores may result in having the match overturned (regardless if the match was played or not). If you know you have reported a match score incorrectly contact an official.

2.5 Forfeits

Teams that cannot field the required minimum number of members within fifteen (15) minutes of the schedule match time will receive a forfeit loss. Three forfeit losses by a single team will result in the team being suspended from the remainder of the tournament.

3.1 Rosters

All player’s steam id’s need to be on the teams roster for which they are playing. Playing unrostered players without the express permission of the opposing teams leader(s) will be subjected to dispute and possibly penalty. Rosters are not to be changed on the agreed upon match day. Rosters may have a maximum of SIX (6) players on them at any time. Roster additions are limited to one after the seeded tournament has started.

3.2 Player Names

Vulgar player names must be changed at the request of any member participating in a match. If a member is found to be using a handle that is deemed offensive after being asked to have it changed by an official, that member will be issued a warning. A second violation will result in that player being suspended from match play for ONE (1) week.

3.3 Leader Requirements

Team leaders are in control of all aspects of the team, and have an obligation to not only himself but to the other members on the team to perform and lead. Team leaders have the right to add or remove members on his team at any time during the roster unlock period.

3.3 Mutiny Rule

Team leaders may be removed from their position if the majority of the active roster agrees. Players who feel that their leader(s) is unfairly removing their team from the league may choose to dispute this action and control of the team may be transferred to another team member. League officials need to be contacted via IRC pertaining to any such instances.

4.1 Server Requirements

Match servers MUST be 66 tic rate. Servers with poor performance may be deemed unsuitable for match hosting at an official’s discretion. Team may contact a league official if they feel the server on which they are playing is not capable of reliable performance.

4.2 League CFG Requirement

The current FFPL_4v4.cfg configuration file is required to be executed for match play.

4.3 Server and Map Choice Guidelines

The “HOME” team is the team listed on the LEFT side of the schedule. The “HOME” team has the right to determine what server they wish to play on first.

Maps during the season are pre picked. These maps may be changed if both teams agree. During the seeded tournament 3 maps are given. The lower seeded team vetos a first map, higher seed vetos the next and the last map is played. Semi finals and finals are a best of three format so 5 maps will be given. Veto order will go: low seed-high seed- low seed- high seed.

4.4 Server Crashes

If a server crashes during any “LIVE” event match, all rounds fully completed will count towards the final score. Any uncompleted matches crashing with less than 3 minutes remaining will be replayed with the remaining time as the mp_timelimit. This rule will continue to stand inthe even of a second crash. If a server rashes a second time during a round, the other teams server should be used for the remainder of the round

4.3 Spectators

NO spectators are allowed in a match server while a match is underway with the exception of league officials. Any person interested in watching matches should do so via SourceTV or the supplied stream.

5.1 Class/Role Restrictions

Defense: 1 Engineer, 1 Demoman, 1 HeavyWeapons.
Offense: No more than 2 heavy offense (Engineer, Spy, Soldier, Demoman).
Absolutely no Sniper or Pyros.

5.2 Yard Defense Guidelines

Yard defense is prohibited unless the flag is visible to the yard. Maps that have a line of sight barrier in the middle can have a defender at the front door. (Ex, Well and Schtop)

5.3 Minimum Player Requirement

All matches are to be played with a minimum of three (3) players per team, each round. No team will be allowed to play with less than the required minimum number unless the match has already started and a player has dropped. If a team cannot meet the minimum player requirement after the first round, the match will be counted as a forfeit loss.

5.4 Overtime

In the event of a tied score after both rounds are completed, sudden-death overtime rounds will be played. Each round will be played until the offense captures a flag (or dets an objective, such as on ff_bases). Once the offense scores, the time will be noted (by screenshots or by server logs) and the teams will switch. The team with the fastest time of the first points scored will be the winner. Each round will have a time limit of 15 minutes. If no points are scored in either round, the match will go into double-overtime where the same rules apply. The offensive team of each round will have the right to choose which server that round is played on.

5.5 MM1

MM1 (public chat) during the game is reserved for team leaders. Abuse of MM1 during a match is grounds for a dispute. Unsportsmanlike dialog constitutes abuse of MM1.

5.6 Halftime Guidelines

After the first round, if both teams agree they may take a ten (10) minute break.

5.7 Match Restart Guidelines

Once a match is deemed LIVE, teams are not allowed to restart the round.

5.8 Player Substitutions

Player substitutions are allowed at anytime during the match. A player is only allowed to join the dedicated server AFTER the player whom he/she is substituting for has left the server. Failure to do so and allowing a reasonable advantage may result in a loss of rounds. If gameplay has already started substitutes may only be from the team’s roster.

6.1 Disputes

Disputes are taken seriously to ensure a fair match environment. Only the Team leaders have the right to dispute a member(s) or team they feel is in violation of the rules. All disputes must be filed within twenty-four (24) hours of the completion of the match. A match must be reported regardless of whether a dispute is being filled. If the dispute is filed after the twenty-four (24) hour period, the dispute will be disregarded. Disputes will be handled before the following weeks schedule is released if possible.

6.2 Game Exploits

It is illegal to intentionally utilize any game or map exploits. Officials may penalize offending players or teams at their discretion and to a degree deemed appropriate.

6.3 Cheating

Any players caught cheating in a match will be suspended from the tournament along with their team, and for a minimum of one year from participating in a future league (for the player only). Cheats include aimbot, wall hacks speed hacks, ESP hacks, or any third party program which modifies game behavior. Officials have the final word on what is deemed a cheat or hack.

6.4 Penalties

Penalties for violating rules are determined on a case by case basis and range from warnings to suspensions to league wide bans. Multiple or recurring rule violations may result in forfeits, suspension or a permanent ban.

7.1 Map Pool

Phantom -- Ibex -- Tidalwave
Destroy -- Catharsis -- Evenflow
Propinquity -- Fiddle -- Bases
Monkey -- Ameliorate -- Roasted
Schtop -- Reloaded -- Raiden
Mortality -- Nyx -- Resolve
Chimkeyz -- Siden -- Profilique
Baked -- Schrape -- Siege
Stowaway -- Alchimy

Last edited by NeonLight; 01-09-2013 at 07:19 PM.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Dr. eXpl0si0n
exploder of things

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
adding if cake and neon add
Dr. eXpl0si0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I will personally fund $100 to the team that gets third place if a decent number of teams play (pls don't collude lol)
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

I'll take a picture of the coolest rock I can find in my neighborhood for the team that places 4th. Bout all I have to offer.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I'll take a picture of the coolest rock I can find in my neighborhood for the team that places 4th. Bout all I have to offer.
lol

all teams that didn't win get a complimentary picture of a rock from ahab.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 12-13-2012 at 02:24 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
-mooney-
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 34 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
lol

all teams that didn't win get a complimentary picture of a rock from ahab.
fda?
-mooney- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Oh shit, there are no cool rocks where I live...

...WHAT SHOULD I DO?!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #12
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
I will personally fund $100 to the team that gets third place if a decent number of teams play (pls don't collude lol)
what do you define as 3rd place?

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

err, misread post, not sure how the cash is split among tiers

Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
err, misread post, not sure how the cash is split among tiers
Two divs, only first place in each div gets a prize at the moment. You could take your hundred and split it between the two divisions second place teams.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

ah yeah ok. I will make a decision once I see what the teams start to look like

Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
VinnytheBoss

Rather then making a new post, I will keep it under this thread.

The league is going to be opening February 1st. Please ensure you have all of your players rostered with CORRECT steamids. This is not optional.

More information to come soon. (Schedules, Map rotation, Rules implemented)

If anyone would like to help please PM me and we can work out something.

We are looking for a couple players to be on the Anti Cheat team. Reviewing demos etc.

Please help us out here and take the initiative with making this league successful. The admins trying to make this work can only do so much. It is up to YOU to play your matches and staying active throughout the league's season.

http://www.ffpickup.com/league/

Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
Deadly Furby
Elder Scroll

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
There's a post on the Black Mesa forum about it now.
Deadly Furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
hello?

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #19
Features-
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier / Medic
Affiliations: has left the game
Posts Rated Helpful 10 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXtric View Post
hello?
ello
Features- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #20
absolute
VP Marketing
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via Skype™ to absolute
My 2 cents...

With only ~40 players in a tournament, most could probably assume the top 3 teams anyways. So the tourny obviously isn't about determining which team is best. With that said, I'm assuming this tournament is to boost activity in FF. Otherwise it's the most rediculous use of money I have ever seen. Far out-weighing the purchase of a laptop that does not exist.

$1000 (+ $100) could be spent in much better ways to promote this game. This is a 1-shot tourny that will soon be forgotten. You are throwing money at the market share you already have; preaching to the choir. It will go up in smoke faster than you could imagine. $800/5 people is $160/person, after paypal takes it's cut, the reward is minimal. Lets be honest, we're all adults now, $160 is nothing. Gaming tournaments these days are never less than $10K, and often $100K+.

From the conversation we had earlier, it looks like there's about 40 die-hards interested. Lets call it 25% of the community. You have a pretty low ceiling for teams & players.

If your desire is to boost the player base, I say you get together and arrange a marketing plan that is 2-fold.

1, creates further & deeper awareness of the game. 2, encourages users to vote YES on this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=121303449

Getting on Steam is virtually FF's ONLY chance of influx in players. That, and an updated website.

A plan needs to be put in place, one that makes sense both financially & time wise.

Invest in creating a new-user friendly environment. That includes multiple 24x7 2fort & dustbowl servers. Something familiarfor the TF2 players, which no doubt a good # of your new players have played. Use that $100 to setup servers for the duration of your marketing campaign. You may even be able to partner with a GSP in exchange for site advertising space. I had something in the works with the #1 ranked GSP on google before I went dormant.

Spend some money on Facebook ads, and other big sites. I may be able to setup cheap advertising at www.backpack.tf (over 1.5 Million unique viewers a month) if interested.

If you're hell-bent on a tournament, you may want to consider hosting it on a major 3rd party site, like www.battlefy.com, this allows you to expose the game to their users as well.

Nothing wrong with a tournament, but do it wisely. I suggests doing the tournament when your Facebook count has hit 5000 likes, and the # of active users online is consistently over 1000. At this time, you can look into having someone shout cast your tournament. Find a caster on www.twitch.tv who has a large following. They'll cast your match for a few bucks (they make ad money anyways).
Twitch gets 30 Million unique views a month, hopefully you get some new exposure by casting through a relatively popular channel there.

$1000 could be spent much, much wiser. There's far better ways to generate exposure and interest than a tournament.

1 members found this post helpful.