Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Well, I've found something I *REALLY* don't like.....

There is no Adobe flash player for Win7 64-bit. Are you fucking kidding me?
I can't watch anything on youtube, or anywhere else that uses a flash player, without downgrading to a 32bit browser. What kind of shit is that?!
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #222
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

I can't watch anything on youtube, or anywhere else that uses a flash player, without downgrading to a 32bit browser. What kind of shit is that?!
I suspect it won't be long before that is addressed. Adobe is too big and this is too big of a product launch for them to lag too far behind.

I threw 7 on an ESX virtual machine at work to mess with. Fortunately my development work with 2008 makes this an easy transition.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 01:32 AM   #223
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:

I have no issue using flash with firefox under win7 64-bit. However, I'm guessing that firefox is 32-bit.

You can say the same thing about the 64-bit media player... it has NO support It's coming though... 64-bit is coming more widely accepted now, it just takes time.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #224
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

I put the 32bit IE(shut up, I know....) shortcut on my desktop.... but it's causing problems with 64 bit IE as far as OTHER shit goes. Specifically Java games that I play on Pogo.com.

I'll just bitch until they fix it... then I'll install the patches and be good again.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 11-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #225
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
I did buy the Win7 upgrade when it was 1/2 price...

I think I'm going to go 64-bit (even though some of my work apps are 32-bit) given that I have 4GB and can easily add more.

I'm just waiting to get an ~128GB SSD (whenever one of the ones I'm considering goes on sale) before I load it. I'm not caring about waiting because there will likely be more patches/bug-fixes/64bit drivers/etc. to happen in the coming month or two.

Big question here is that I keep reading/seeing lots of SSD failures even though the reviewers seem to love them as the C: drive (especially with TRIM).
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #226
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Anyone know what the deal with monitor refresh rate reverting back to 59Hz?
the instructions of my LCD say to set it at 60Hz in Windows but I have noticed in 7 is wont stay set at 60. My monitor OSD menu says it is in 60 though..
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #227
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy View Post

I think I'm going to go 64-bit (even though some of my work apps are 32-bit) given that I have 4GB and can easily add more.

I'm just waiting to get an ~128GB SSD (whenever one of the ones I'm considering goes on sale) before I load it. I'm not caring about waiting because there will likely be more patches/bug-fixes/64bit drivers/etc. to happen in the coming month or two.

Big question here is that I keep reading/seeing lots of SSD failures even though the reviewers seem to love them as the C: drive (especially with TRIM).
Is there a speed benefit to those things?

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 11-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #228
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Is there a speed benefit to those things?
SSDs are MUCH faster then any HDD. They also use less power. Using an SSD for your OS or commonly used programs would greatly improve performance and load speeds.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #229
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

!me grabs my flashlight and looks for an open cable connector.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 11-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #230
Paft
Beta Tester

..Can't choose specific wallpaper rotation order..
(have to name images a,b,c,d...)

Last edited by Paft; 11-07-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #231
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
after watching the ssd market for years i decided that the latest generation of intel drives appears to finally be good enough, and i got my first ssd drive the other day (160gb intel x25-m 2nd generation [34nm]). so far, i'm extremely impressed by it, but i'll obviously have to wait and see how its performance and reliability fare over time.

btw for anyone looking to get one, there are big differences between the manufacturers and generations.

oh yeah, and it's gone in my new laptop (along with windows 7), which runs FF amazingly well.. i'd only really hoped that it would be good enough to run FF well enough to develop stuff on it when on the road, but it copes with a spammy full public server with no problems amazingly which is nice. it's not perfectly responsive and smooth like my desktop is, but it's absolutely fine to play and a load btr than i'd expected. the laptop has a fairly good cpu (c2d 2.53ghz 3mb cache) but only an average gfx card (nvidia 9400m), so i guess it just goes to show how important the cpu is to FF

Last edited by caesium; 11-10-2009 at 02:40 PM.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #232
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy View Post

Failure rates of hard drives seems to be the dirty little secret right now. Everything I read suggests that the failure rates are far worse than any manufacturer is letting on.

On a different, but related, topic I read an article on the future of raid being a bit bleak. If you like I can dig it up. At issue is the failure rate and absurd rebuild times. Your danger is compounded if you're using a fake raid controller. I really wonder when we'll see the next quantum leap in storage technology to move things forward. Perhaps SSD but it's definitely not "there" yet for me.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #233
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
Failure rates of hard drives seems to be the dirty little secret right now. Everything I read suggests that the failure rates are far worse than any manufacturer is letting on.

On a different, but related, topic I read an article on the future of raid being a bit bleak. If you like I can dig it up. At issue is the failure rate and absurd rebuild times. Your danger is compounded if you're using a fake raid controller. I really wonder when we'll see the next quantum leap in storage technology to move things forward. Perhaps SSD but it's definitely not "there" yet for me.
Most of the time people ignore read write errors to the point the drive fails. Modern hardware raids rebuild on the fly so it's not an issue if you have the money for hardware.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #234
Paft
Beta Tester

I'm seeing people (from screenies around the web) using dockbars apps when they're on Win 7, and they have 95 - 99% room space on the taskbar.

*sigh*

Last edited by Paft; 12-22-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #235
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

The new GUI is very very sexy. And the mouse gestures are out of this world. I plan on moving the whole house up to Win7 once all the systems suport it.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #236
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

I had about 15 open documents and programs last week. Automatic updates rebooted my pc so i was plenty pissed off when I logged on. It took a while so I was feeling like Windows 95 when updates really had a potential to crash aspects of the OS.

Every single windows application state and web page was restored. All the programs I was using are MS but that was fucking sweet.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #237
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
If I could find a good deal I'd probably pick it up. Is there some type of protection against getting a friend to give you their .edu address and picking up Windows 7 for myself?

(Sucks that I waited so long, the $30 student Win 7 deal ends tomorrow ~_~)

Old 01-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #238
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
If he doesn't intend to use the deal... probably not. I couldn't say for sure though.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #239
Suite307

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Win7 is worthwhile ( I've been using the 64bit version ) no problem really. Not crashed once, the games all run smoother on it than Vista.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #240
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite307 View Post
Win7 is worthwhile ( I've been using the 64bit version ) no problem really. Not crashed once, the games all run smoother on it than Vista.

I find with FF the game runs dramatically smoother over Vista but not as well as with XP. And it am pretty sure it's teh v1d driver. Older legacy card running MS win7 driver.