o_stino

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Some new screens:

this is a bit dark, but current compile contains lights in this hallway

o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 06:44 AM   #143
o_drtom

dont overdo the grass, especially in that main canyon bit, looks a bit silly! but other than that it looks very good!
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 07:09 AM   #144
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtom
dont overdo the grass, especially in that main canyon bit, looks a bit silly! but other than that it looks very good!
thats the problem with grass
its pre set
if you know a %detailtype with grass that would fit the map :d

Old 07-20-2005, 08:23 AM   #145
o_valk

id remove it completely from the bottom of the canyon and add puddles of water here and there very sparingly
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #146
o_kam

get rid of the tree tbh

lol no water, unless you make an easter egg kinda thing of an oasis
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #147
o_jerm

why no water kam?

Most canyons (AFAIIIIK) have a river at the bottom of them, this is how they are created
o_jerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #148
o_kam

Well if you look at the original, it looks too dry to have water tbh!
Yes deserts have water, but not everywhere~

That and it'd look out of place imo

edit: actually I really don't care, badlands is a shit map rofl
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #149
o_valk

^

and its dried out hence puddles
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #150
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
although in the original badlands it comes to an abrupt stop at the far side of each base lol

but ya, definitely have some water at the bottom of the pipes too (in the bottom of the canyon leading to midmap canyon area)
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #151
o_js

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaMIKazE
edit: actually I really don't care, badlands is a shit map rofl
badlands is awesome, the only let down is the excessively large midmap (but its nice to conc around anyway )
o_js is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #152
o_someoldguy

I'd also concur that you should use the grass sparingly... just here and there like a "real" desert. I like the tree for the ambience (just my opinion), but can you walk thru those bushes? If not, I'd suggest to get rid of them, as that's an unneeded impediment to movement in that area. Maybe if you removed the grass there and just left the bushes it might not be so "busy" looking"

Are the stairs the one in the spawn? If so, I'm not particularly fond of the wall blocking the jump down to the lower floor... I'd say leave it open like the original. If not, I'm totally lost as to where those stairs are... ???

If anything, I'm partial to the don't add stuff just to add stuff everywhere... a little bit of entity additions here and there make for nice eye-candy. When there are lots of "things", it takes your eye away from the gameplay.

All that being said... nice work so far!!!
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 02:47 PM   #153
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy
I'd also concur that you should use the grass sparingly... just here and there like a "real" desert. I like the tree for the ambience (just my opinion), but can you walk thru those bushes? If not, I'd suggest to get rid of them, as that's an unneeded impediment to movement in that area. Maybe if you removed the grass there and just left the bushes it might not be so "busy" looking"

Are the stairs the one in the spawn? If so, I'm not particularly fond of the wall blocking the jump down to the lower floor... I'd say leave it open like the original. If not, I'm totally lost as to where those stairs are... ???

If anything, I'm partial to the don't add stuff just to add stuff everywhere... a little bit of entity additions here and there make for nice eye-candy. When there are lots of "things", it takes your eye away from the gameplay.

don't really know what you mean with the stairs
if you jump from the little brige you will get down
if you mean i should lower/remove the cilinder with the logo in the middle , ok than i know what you mean

the gras i've used was idd tho thight, but i have found another detailtype

Old 07-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #154
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk
id remove it completely from the bottom of the canyon and add puddles of water here and there very sparingly
1. water in a badlands canyon?
2. water isn't cheap !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
although in the original badlands it comes to an abrupt stop at the far side of each base lol

but ya, definitely have some water at the bottom of the pipes too (in the bottom of the canyon leading to midmap canyon area)
where do you want water? in those pipes with the flag ?
don't think so, it's an expensive area
water will be visible while in the hottest part of the battle, so that wil cause an huge fps drop :s

Quote:
why no water kam?

Most canyons (AFAIIIIK) have a river at the bottom of them, this is how they are created
yes, that is how they are created, but ...
water and sun
its really hot in the badlands so that water won't stay there verry long
and id doesn't rain there every day like here .

Old 07-20-2005, 03:01 PM   #155
o_imbrifer

Actually, some deserts have lots of vegetation.. I went hiking in southern texas and there were grassy-type things everywhere...

But as for grass in this map: I'd suggest either changing the sand texture to fit the grasses more, or only put grasses in a very few places.

The corner stairs you posted look good, but are they a pain-in-the-ass to climb? I could see someone trying to run up the right side and basically hitting a wall, or running up unrealistically fast...

All in all, you're definitely putting it together. I'd consider doing some more unique indoor brushwork on hallways and such, but I must say that I can't wait to see what it'll look like when the FF team releases its textures...
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #156
o_catzeyes93

I love your work.. it looks fantabulous! No suggestions here, but then again I am normally easy to please!
o_catzeyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 03:19 PM   #157
o_someoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
Quote:

if you mean i should lower/remove the cilinder with the logo in the middle , ok than i know what you mean

These are the stairs I meant:
Quote:
If I remember "correctly" (and there is a good chance I don't), the only "stairs' were the few steps in the side room by the main entrance, then the stairs around the big cylinder/pipe thingie (the orangish-red one you have for the lower entrance up to the entrance with the fan at the top) goin up to the upper level where you can drop down to the flag. Then there were the stairs in the spawn room, which go to the upper level and also where the cap point was and go in that same direction (to the right). The rest of the areas were all ramps.

Am I forgetting one? Or have you changed the layout somewhat? Maybe that's going up from the sniper's nest?

Anyway, what I meant was that if those stairs ^^^^^ were in the spawn, that wall IMO would cause "issues".

If it's not there, then just ignore the comments from this old fart!

Old 07-20-2005, 03:24 PM   #158
o_stino

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

These are the stairs I meant:
Quote:
If I remember "correctly" (and there is a good chance I don't), the only "stairs' were the few steps in the side room by the main entrance, then the stairs around the big cylinder/pipe thingie (the orangish-red one you have for the lower entrance up to the entrance with the fan at the top) goin up to the upper level where you can drop down to the flag. Then there were the stairs in the spawn room, which go to the upper level and also where the cap point was and go in that same direction (to the right). The rest of the areas were all ramps.

Am I forgetting one? Or have you changed the layout somewhat? Maybe that's going up from the sniper's nest?

Anyway, what I meant was that if those stairs ^^^^^ were in the spawn, that wall IMO would cause "issues".

If it's not there, then just ignore the comments from this old fart!
ok i know what stairs you mean, but those stairs are the way to the sniper towers, not the spawn :s

in the original version it was just a slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Actually, some deserts have lots of vegetation.. I went hiking in southern texas and there were grassy-type things everywhere...

But as for grass in this map: I'd suggest either changing the sand texture to fit the grasses more, or only put grasses in a very few places.

The corner stairs you posted look good, but are they a pain-in-the-ass to climb? I could see someone trying to run up the right side and basically hitting a wall, or running up unrealistically fast...

All in all, you're definitely putting it together. I'd consider doing some more unique indoor brushwork on hallways and such, but I must say that I can't wait to see what it'll look like when the FF team releases its textures...
ok, eh the stairs thing is quite right, you go a little fast when you go at the right side, so what do you suggest? make the place where te stairs equal to the upper level an but straight stairs to that plat?

---------------**OFF TOPIC**---------------------------------
does someone knows how high you can jump
stepsize= 18 units
jump = ?? units
croush-jump = ?? units
and no i don't want to know how high you can conc-jump

(its for the flag exit)

Old 07-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #159
o_someoldguy

Quote:
ok i know what stairs you mean, but those stairs are the way to the sniper towers, not the spawn :s

okay... works for me!

Quote:
ok, eh the stairs thing is quite right, you go a little fast when you go at the right side, so what do you suggest? make the place where te stairs equal to the upper level an but straight stairs to that plat?
Would maybe curved stairs like the lower level going from the spawn room entrance to the upper level work to "solve" this issue?

Old 07-20-2005, 03:51 PM   #160
o_stino

Quote:
Quote:

okay... works for me!

Quote:
Would maybe curved stairs like the lower level going from the spawn room entrance to the upper level work to "solve" this issue?
it will defenitly solve it, but i should OR make the lower hallway smaller or i have to redo the structure around there (quite complex )