Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
ffdev roll call

http://www.fortress-forever.com/devteam/ (*edit 3: welcome to flat land, say goodbye to dev titles)

We're remaking FF. Or more precisely, we're remaking TFC on a modern engine and the remake of FF will come naturally from that as well as a whole bunch of other awesome stuff.

Anyone willing to help, feel free to speak up.

More info real soon.

*edit*

basically, if you're a dev in the "past members" section but want to work on FF again, then we can put you in the active list. For now though, consider this a fresh start. If you don't want to work on FF, that's fine. The door's always open anyways

*edit 2*

The dev team page will be updated as more devs confirm their involvement.

It's not just Jesse and me, I assure you. There are already devs that are active like Dexter, hlstriker, Elmo, and squeek. However, the only person who has confirmed anytime recently is Jesse, who I talked to on the phone last night.

Within the next few days/weeks, we should have a good idea of which devs are still active and want to do this.

The key is wanting to do it. Nobody's going to be forced to work on FF, they have to want it.

Last edited by trepid_jon; 05-26-2014 at 11:26 PM.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
MatiZ
FFcrab

Class/Position: Spectator
Gametype: Fragfest (Sometimes without "r".)
Affiliations: LCD
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
What kind of engine it is?
MatiZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiZ View Post
What kind of engine it is?
That's the first thing to decide.

At this point, it's either going to be Unreal 4 or Source 2.

Until we know more about Source 2, we'll just be in pre-production.

In my opinion, Source 2 is the natural choice. However, Unreal 4 has everythign we need so we can just run with that right now. I just think we need to find out more about Source 2 before we make the decision to go with Unreal 4.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
Do you find Unreal's script-based interface does all that you need to make a Fortress Game with steam workshop integration and can run one efficiently?

Yes that's a cynical statement, but I don't know tbh, maybe it's super efficient and flexible.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Yeah, I think Unreal will be a perfect fit for FF and all the workshop integration.

I also think Source 2 might be the better choice, haha.

So we'll see.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
u updated the website
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Chickenprotector
Flamer of Worlds
D&A Member

Class/Position: Pyro (O)
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
What it comes down to is how much work you need to put into it.

Source 2 is the best choice because it cuts your work in half. You can use the existing assets you all already have (as fugly as they may be compared to modern standards). You also don't need to worry about a new mapping format (I think). These are subject to new information that proves me wrong, but I can assume that I doubt it'll change.

The most major job is to clean up the code and get it optimized. Basically you'll be starting from scratch on that.

Unreal you get a shiny new engine and interface, but the issue is that you're starting practically from scratch. You need new assets, maps, etc. And that extends the development time significantly.

Basically, if you're looking to get the game out the door as quickly as possible, and in incremental updates, it's best to stick to source. If you want to put A LOT of effort in, use Unreal.

I wish I could contribute, but I don't have the necessary skills nor the time to devote to learn them at the moment.

And while you're at it, get rid of the fucking useless laser grenades *rages*

Last edited by Chickenprotector; 05-26-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Chickenprotector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
the_cake
Beta Tester

I'd just be worried I'd need to do something low level that the scripting engine wouldn't facilitate; particularly if you intend to model classic fortress physics. You'd need to either give up or find a hack, which is asking for problems. Also getting pretty far along and realizing the scripting engine isn't quite as efficient as you thought when there are 8 players and 10 nades in the yard.

Is anyone doing graphics and sound, or are you just porting FF's content?

Last edited by the_cake; 05-26-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
u updated the website
Haha yeah, it's been a while. And we're gonna update a lot about it, because this site is old. It has cool stuff, but man is it old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenprotector View Post
What it comes down to is how much work you need to put into it
And while you're at it, get rid of the fucking useless laser grenades *rages*
We're definitely starting from scratch, so the amount of work is a lot either way. However, it's not entirely from scratch since we have all the source files of FF to use as reference.

Also, because FF is old and we're making a new FF, that means we can make FF multiplatform. I don't mean some crappy port of FF on iPhone, but we could put FF or variations of FF on any platform we want. Steam for sure, so PC Mac and Linux. But what about PS4 and Xbox One? Nothing's stopping FF from being on those platforms except for the fact that FF is on old Source and the dev team needs to make that happen. Spectating on a mobile device? Why not. The possibilities are endless, all we have to do is design and develop FF for modern times.

And yeah, the laser grenade would be gone in the TFC mode. And then it might be there in the FF 2014 mode, but not in the FF 2007 mode, etc...if we even want to go that deep with variations of FF. I think the dev team will make a few modes, and the community will make a ton more.

The plan is to just make a modern TFC as pure as possible, and also as moddable as possible so we can also make vanilla FF and whatever else.

I really want an Axl mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cake View Post
I'd just be worried I'd need to do something low level that the scripting engine wouldn't facilitate; particularly if you intend to model classic fortress physics. You'd need to either give up or find a hack, which is asking for problems. Also getting pretty far along and realizing the scripting engine isn't quite as efficient as you thought when there are 8 players and 10 nades in the yard.

Is anyone doing graphics and sound, or are you just porting FF's content?
Licensing the Unreal Engine gives full source code. We can make FF movement in Unreal identical to FF movement in Source, or as close as possible. If not, that'd be another reason to use Source 2. However, even Source 2 would be different.

By the way, this is exactly how we made Fortress Forever. People were worried about the movement in FF being different from TFC. We matched it and then we went nuts changing it too, which some people liked and some people didn't like.

The plan is to make all new art and sound. Old FF will always be around, and it'll probably be on Steam as well. We just have to do some work to get current FF on steam. We were porting to 2013 sdk, but maybe we can just put it up the way it is now. However, the old/current FF would be an opt-in thing, because the main game would be remade to be modern.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
the_cake
Beta Tester

The free license gives you code? I'd say go for it then. Unreal is a much better engine for a fast paced game tbh, and I can't see Source 2 improving upon that aspect at all.

And honestly the bhop physics in FF are almost nothing like tfc, even pre-cap.

Last edited by the_cake; 05-26-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cake View Post
The free license gives you code? I'd say go for it then. Unreal is a much better engine for a fast paced game tbh, and I can't see Source 2 improving upon that aspect at all.
No, the $19 per month license of Unreal give full source code access.

I agree, I'm not sure about Source 2. We don't know enough. I have a feeling it will be good, but we also don't know how far along it is.

So before we wait forever for that, eventually we'll just make the decision to go with Unreal.

However, that doesn't matter right now. We're just in pre-production, so the engine doesn't matter at all. We're designing and planning the game, and part of that planning will be deciding on the engine to use.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
vatterin
David-

Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
This game (current ff) has suffered long enough and truthfully needs to be put out of it's misery. It never accomplished what it set out to do and never will. I truly think that breathing new life into the fortress series while sticking to its true tf roots is a really good thing. I support this 1000%. Change is good. Change is needed.
vatterin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
the_cake
Beta Tester

You need some way to make someone completely new enjoy the game enough to stay (keep in mind what modern gamers expect), and to expose the game to enough new players to build a community. That's what's missing. You cannot rely on the player base from the previous games (TFC/FF) to build the community. There are a number of reasons this ends in disaster, it didn't work with FF, and hasn't worked for other attempts and modernizing old games.

Tbh unless you're actually making a Garry's Mod clone aesthetic and gametype modability is a secondary perk, it will keep people interested in a game they already like, but won't give them a reason to like it to begin with.

In short I don't think this is going to work, but this game doesn't have a lot to lose and I'll be interested to see how it pans out. Best of luck.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Also, (and thanks for reminding me FDA_Approved) welcome to flatland (valve handbook), so say goodbye to dev titles.

One thing we'll do is add skill tags to devs or something, so we'll at least know who can code vs who can map vs who can slap hands, but most indie gamemakers wear multiple hats, so the titles are gone...sorta. It's a broken way to think of things and definitely not how to make a game like FF.

Last edited by trepid_jon; 05-26-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #15
Headz

Posts Rated Helpful 81 Times
Great news !
I am happy someone with a backbone and a bit of punch is taking charge, my kinda of attitude, expletives included, no pissing about.

I would personally prefer source2 as I guess hammer will still exist with intuitive tools, can't say I want to learn ur4 mapping.

The current ff weapons look high enough poly to be used to get the new mod off the ground ( beta at least ), but the player models will really need some work.

Looking forward to a future ff that has the looks of next gen but the game play still largely the same.

Couple of things, I really would love, model replacement to work, sg's to be built on movable platforms.

The porting of maps to source2 would also be a bonus, even if it is just for scale purpose.

I don't consider myself good enough a mapper to apply for level design but I will make some anyway.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #16
Chickenprotector
Flamer of Worlds
D&A Member

Class/Position: Pyro (O)
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
FDA cut the shit. I know you have valid concerns, but asking them like a two year old isn't going to go anywhere. If your question is not clear cut, you won't get a clear cut response. Stop beating around the bush and ask simply.

We're adults, aren't we? Stop slinging shit around like monkeys, it's unbecoming.

--

Moved my inquiries to another topic: http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...625#post503625

As for explaining this... I suspect you mean there'll be toggles for players to choose out different modes of play? I.E. different convars for different types of things such as bunny hopping or replacing the laser grenade with the nail grenade for instance? If this is what you meant Jon, then awesome.

You can gain access to the source code for Source 2. The Black Mesa devs did this for their retail version of the game that is currently in development; how much it cost to obtain it is unknown to me. Best bet would be to contact Valve directly and hash out some sort of deal. You'll be bound by an NDA then though, so it's up to you guys on what you want to do.

Good luck with your development, I look forward to seeing progress.

Last edited by Chickenprotector; 05-27-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Chickenprotector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #17
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
I'm around and willing to work on stuff.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #18
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
I'm in as well for marketing /social media/beta testing/voice over, or what ever else is needed.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #19
Bully
Beta Tester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spectating
Gametype: British Bulldogs
Affiliations: ®™ ^
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
As far as i see things it's about having a open mind and a glass half full attitude, rather than a closed mind and half empty.

Yes we have all been playing FF, pickup or pub , but there is a difference between a creator and a consumer and a team of creators need focus and direction.

In my day job i have to take charge of situations and lead my team of workers to deliver targets, i see no difference here to what Jon is doing. I have to decide on an autocratic approach or a laissez-faire depending on the situation. This is positive for FF and the genre as far as i'm conerned, progress, moving forwards. There is no ego swinging e-peen happening here, it's an open invitation, a vision to continue the great work already achieved.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:58 AM   #20
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I'd like to help.

Things I'm good at:
- Web design (though a bit rusty I will admit)
- Graphic Design
- Computers (specifically I am a software analyst at my job and a great problem solver, squashing bugs is what I do.)

I'm currently still learning how to map so maybe even if I'm not able to help build any official maps, I might be able to provide feedback and testing on other people's maps.

Things I have no clue what I'm doing but would still like to learn:
- How to model & animate characters (Including the initial drawing and design of each character and how to translate that into something real)
- Improving FF sounds to make it more hifi and rich as well as adding more personality to each character.
- Make some music videos
(I plan to go back to school in the next year or two to get my AA in Graphic/Multimedia Design)

I know this is a roll call for existing devs, but has anyone considered trying to reach out to any retired FF devs who could maybe make a comeback for the remake?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote