Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-14-2007, 08:28 PM   #21
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Check your rate setting! The default is most definitely not 3500, it is something like 20000. Try bumping it up to that value.

If you have rate set at 3500 it is likely the issue here -thats around 56k modem rates.
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #22
[BHC]Farmer

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Thanks a lot, with 15000 it runs very smoothly. I checked the other comp, 3500 is the default value on my installations. I changed nothing on them. Just install -> play.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:43 PM   #23
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [BHC]Farmer
Thanks a lot, with 15000 it runs very smoothly. I checked the other comp, 3500 is the default value on my installations. I changed nothing on them. Just install -> play.
If 3500 is your default rate go to the steam options and change your connection setting, that could be why it started out so low.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #24
Xialbon

I'm an idiot...

Could someone please explain what he just did to fix it? I have the EXACT same problem and I'm an idiot so I don't even know what net_graph 3 is... If someone could direct me on how to do whatever he did to fix this problem, I would GREEEAAATLY appreciate it...

Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #25
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Click the steam icon on your start bar, and then click on settings. In the settings window, click on the tab labeled "Downloads" and then dropdown list, select your internet connection and try playing again. When you start up your game, go to options, and go to the keyboard tab; Click the "Advanced" button, and check the box next to "Enable developer's console." Now join a server, open the console by pressing the tilde key(~) and type "net_graph 3" without the quotes. You should get something that looks like this(I removed the hud so it was easier to see(It'll be in the lower right)):

That shows you your ping, fps, and loss and choke(for the important ones). If you notice it still doing what it was doing, after you fixed your internet settings, look at the choke(located here):

and see what it is. If it's still high, open the console again(tilde key(~)), and type "rate" and hit enter(without quotes), and post what your rate is here. Do the same for "cl_cmdrate" and "cl_updaterate".

Old 09-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #26
Xialbon

Ok, my steam connection was set to 56k so I changed it to the far more accurate 256k dsl... Once I did this, the whole choke thing dissappeared, and now its a green like where the choke was that says "100%" and while it still is a little choppy it's running a WHOLE lot better...

My rate is currently 7500.
My cl_cmdrate is 100.
My cl_update rate is 60, however there is a note that says it normally would be 90.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:45 PM   #27
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xialbon
Ok, my steam connection was set to 56k so I changed it to the far more accurate 256k dsl... Once I did this, the whole choke thing dissappeared, and now its a green like where the choke was that says "100%" and while it still is a little choppy it's running a WHOLE lot better...

My rate is currently 7500.
My cl_cmdrate is 100.
My cl_update rate is 60, however there is a note that says it normally would be 90.
The right connection setting helps loads, I'd go ahead and set the updaterate to 90 and see what happens. If it gets worse then put it back to 60, but if it gets better keep it at 90.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #28
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Great news, glad that helped I would actually up your rate to 10000 if you're running on most dsl or cable
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #29
[BHC]Farmer

LOL, I never bothered with the connection setting in Steam or expected the games to actually USE that information.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #30
Xialbon

Fixed

Alright guys, FF is now running flawless for me and is proving to be the best third-party mod I've ever played, thank you devs, and thank you to everyone who helped me with the problem!