Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

Old 08-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #21
Etzell
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Can anyone give a valid reason why gays shouldn't be allowed to be married?
No.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #22
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Marriage is a Right? Really? A Right? If the Gov't is "granting" it...it's not a right. Gov't can only convey privileges.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #23
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
No, marriage is not a right, but equal protection under the law, aka, the 14th amendment, is.

Last edited by GenghisTron; 08-07-2010 at 06:56 PM.
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #24
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
No, marriage is not a right, but equal protection under the law, aka, the 14th amendment, is.
Who's being protected and from who's attacking them?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #25
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Sound the stupid alarm.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #26
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
Marriage in this country is currently a legal institution. Marriage constitutes thousands of legal and civil benefits. Gays are not given these benefits, because by law, they are not allowed to marry. Therefore, they are not being treated equally under the Constitution and the 14th Amendment.

Also, if you really need to ask who's 'attacking them', well, I'm not sure what to say. The answer is pretty obvious. Closed-minded bigots who come up with paralogisms to defend the indefensible (preventing gays from marrying).

Old 08-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #27
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
Marriage in this country is currently a legal institution. Marriage constitutes thousands of legal and civil benefits. Gays are not given these benefits, because by law, they are not allowed to marry. Therefore, they are not being treated equally under the Constitution and the 14th Amendment.

Also, if you really need to ask who's 'attacking them', well, I'm not sure what to say. The answer is pretty obvious. Closed-minded bigots who come up with paralogisms to defend the indefensible (preventing gays from marrying).
I think you guys missed the point. Rights are self-evident and are not something granted by government. Government may protect a particular Right but it cannot grant a Right. Anything Government "allows" via licensing, regulation or control is not a right but a privilege.

"Right" is a loaded word with specific meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Sound the stupid alarm.
You might want to consider moving towards reasonable and rational contributions to threads.

Last edited by Innoc; 08-08-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
I think you guys missed the point. Rights are self-evident and are not something granted by government. Government may protect a particular Right but it cannot grant a Right. Anything Government "allows" via licensing, regulation or control is not a right but a privilege.

You aren't getting it. No one is talking about 'rights', like the right to free speech. We're talking about equal protection under the law. That is one of the pillars of a republic with a good legal system. Fair and equal treatment under the law. I'm not talking about 'rights' (Your definition of what is a 'right' is also very sketchy), I'm talking about the law. Rights don't really have a place in this conversation, other than the expectation of equal treatment under the law.

You're the one who keeps bringing up 'rights', not me. This is the second or third time I've pointed out that this has nothing to do with rights, but instead, equal protection under the law. The plain, and simple fact is, the Government creates special privileges, using the law, and they deny those very privileges to homosexual couples. They are being unfairly treated. If you're a strict constructionist, you would see that outlawing gay marriage is a clear violation of the Constitution. If Government completely got rid of all special benefits involved with marriage, then gays would not be treated unequally under the law. However, since the Government is involved with saying who can and can't get married, and what benefits you can and can't get depending on your marriage status, it is a clear breach of the Constitution.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #29
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Quote:
Better ask the guys who wrote this:

Quote:
“All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #30
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
The government isn't granting rights; it is restoring those which were unfairly taken.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #31
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:

So, Marriage is a privilege, and not a right....
Quote:
You might want to consider moving towards reasonable and rational contributions to threads.
Good luck with that one.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #32
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
So, Marriage is a privilege, and not a right....

Good luck with that one.
Iggy, by it's legal definition anything the Gov't licenses and exercises any control over is a privilege.

Those of you continuing with the insults and immature posts can carry on ITT without me.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #33
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Those of you continuing with the insults and immature posts can carry on ITT without me.
Curious who these mystery posters are...?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #34
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Iggy, by it's legal definition anything the Gov't licenses and exercises any control over is a privilege.
That's what I was asking about... but I still question if Marriage is a right, or a privilege. Perhapse that is what is at issue here. Long before this country was founded, marriage existed. It's not something that was created by this government. It's existed throughout recorded history. It is something based is religeon, and adapted by the legal system. Probably because they saw money to be made.

Quote:
At least you can put them on your "ignore" list.....
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #35
Etzell
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:

I guess I must be in the minority, but... what's the point of splitting hairs? If you don't think marriage is the government's business, I suggest campaigning to remove any benefit to being married. Tax breaks, adoption abilities, and so forth. If it's a veiled attempt to be against gay marriage without having to say it... may as well fess up.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #36
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
I guess I must be in the minority, but... what's the point of splitting hairs? If you don't think marriage is the government's business, I suggest campaigning to remove any benefit to being married. Tax breaks, adoption abilities, and so forth. If it's a veiled attempt to be against gay marriage without having to say it... may as well fess up.
Exactly. The current arguments employed by anti-guy advocates just seem to be stalling tactics to hide their true views. The easiest way to solve the debate, is to just get rid of all the legal benefits that come with being married, and make marriage a social/religious institution, rather than one that is enforced by law. That way, the only thing gays can complain about is not being invited to a special club called 'marriage', which in reality is a hell-hole that turns people into sour misanthropes.

Really, if there weren't a ton of legal privileges that come with getting married, I'd probably never do it. I see no reason why it's necessary for me to support some out-dated institution to profess my love and solidarity for my partner. I think it's far more virtuous to simply be faithful without spending money on a wedding, ring, and putting a special title next to my name.

Last edited by GenghisTron; 08-10-2010 at 02:35 AM.
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #37
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Can anyone give a valid reason why gays shouldn't be allowed to be married? Personally, I think there is no difference between a "marriage" and a "civil union"..... as both should equate to the same exact rights. Basicly, it's a distinction without a difference. However, I don't care if they call it "civil union", "marriage", or "legal copulation".

Some would argue that a "marriage" is a legal commitment, others would argue it's a religeous one. Our society dictates that there is a separation between church(religeon) and state(legally speaking). If a couple who is athiest "marries" by legal means, why not a homosexual couple? The strengh of their love can't be considered any less than another couples, lest we drop over the precipice of mind control.
i doubt the founding fathers would agree to this, separation of church and state, (it was to prevent a national religion.)however being conservative and christian i have no problem with gays getting married, calling it a normal family eh a little disturbing but otherwise im good.

Last edited by WiFiDi; 08-12-2010 at 01:34 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #38
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
That's what I was asking about... but I still question if Marriage is a right, or a privilege. Perhapse that is what is at issue here. Long before this country was founded, marriage existed. It's not something that was created by this government. It's existed throughout recorded history. It is something based is religeon, and adapted by the legal system. Probably because they saw money to be made.
I think it's relevant because it determines what interaction and restriction the Government places on the exercise of those rights or privileges. I agree with you that Marriage has long existed before our Government or pretty much any of the modern Governments ruling over people in the world today. So how to address this? Frankly I think the GFY method of forcing it via the Judicial branch is wrong. Frankly I think that if there is some compelling reason the Government must be involved then choose a new term for everyone and group it there and leave marriage to the venue of faith-related entities.

I mean this next comment sincerely and not as an insult. Those who don't get or dismiss the difference between Right and Privilege make me wonder if they truly understand the differences and why it's important.
Quote:
At least you can put them on your "ignore" list.....
You're right. It's probably time to update that.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 AM   #39
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YomMamasHouse View Post
The government isn't granting rights; it is restoring those which were unfairly taken.
uh since when did you hear this, there busy taking away all our other rights, while we sit here and debate this bill.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #40
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Which rights would those be? The ones Glenn Beck claims we are losing?

EDIT - As a side note, its "they're"

Last edited by YomMamasHouse; 08-13-2010 at 08:31 AM.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote