Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Skill map videos

Just wondering, but why are there hardly any FF videos that show off concing, rocket jumping, etc? Someone should get on that.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
I was working on this video quite a while ago:

But I got pretty bored with it fast. I recorded a few other jumps since, and could always record some ff_jumptrix surf lines with scout, but I'm not really in the mood/have other stuff I want to work on.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
-mooney-
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 34 Times
video made by emtek

-mooney- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Awesome!

I just got done going through a few quad maps and I think I will start grabbing some clips and putting a video together.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Bleh, quad jumping is so lame. Mainly because the maps are boring and very repetitive, but it's also silly that people seem to think you need quad to pull off anything impressive.

I mean how entertaining is a quad map? It's the same thing over and over again. Fall down a hole, climb up a hole, fall down hole, wall pogo, ground pogo, climb up hole.

I hate to say it, but one thing I tend to think the tf2 community got right is their rocket and pipe jumping. Not only is there plenty of variation within individual maps, but they also take the time to go find cool jumps in other kinds of maps. (Take palermo for example, it's not just an avd map, it's one of FF's best freestyle jump maps.) And they do it all without any need for something silly like quad.

These kind of jumps I find entertaining. Kinda sad when tf2 jumps look faster and more versatile than a soldier bouncing up and down for an entire map.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I was working on this video quite a while ago:
output.mp4 - YouTube

But I got pretty bored with it fast. I recorded a few other jumps since, and could always record some ff_jumptrix surf lines with scout, but I'm not really in the mood/have other stuff I want to work on.
Just to show how little shits FDA gave about this video, it's still called output.mp4. Didn't rename it when he was making it, or when he was uploading it.

EDIT: Anyway, because I didn't remember to actually add to this post:

The thing is, those jumps are impossible in normal play, because Valve put something called health in. :P

Last edited by ddm999; 08-15-2013 at 03:34 PM.
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
Just to show how little shits FDA gave about this video, it's still called output.mp4. Didn't rename it when he was making it, or when he was uploading it.
Because it's unfinished. I uploaded it to see how it looked on youtube and also to show off my leet skillz.

Quote:
The thing is, those jumps are impossible in normal play, because Valve put something called health in. :P
You could say that about 99% of any jump videos for any game?

Old 08-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
I cannot imagine playing DeFRaG or FF skill maps with normal gameplay elements like health in place. You couldn't do shit -- and there's a reason why those elements are in place in "normal" play, because if they weren't, you could just do whatever in the heck you wanted. If those things were in place in skill maps, your options for doing fun and challenging jumps would be much more limited.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Sure, but skill maps do tend to teach you air control and timing among other things, so there is some practicality there, but I think they're mostly just fun and challenging. Concmaps are especially more difficult than quad maps. Sure it's not for everyone, but I can't believe it's 'lame' like FDA mentions earlier because look at the TFC skill community back in the day. Literally hundreds of skill maps on the concs-r-us web site with tens of thousands of players in their community. I don't see why FF is any different with regards to how fun these maps can be.

Yeah, it might be more smooth and easier to complete some TFC maps that were remade for FF, but there are still plenty of difficult concmaps and a few rj maps that exist and I think giving the community a skill video that looks great that is also difficult to pull off for the average gamer can invite them to challenge their own boundaries and limitations.

In TFC, I learned all of my concing techniques from conc maps. Timing was the hardest thing to apply to a regular map setting, but once I spent time playing some basic concmaps for a couple weeks, I started to grasp the timing really well and I got immensely better in regular TFC maps. Not only that, but my reaction time and my reflexes improved. So don't scoff at these maps like they are mere novelty. Give them the merit they deserve.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
ddm999
worst ff player eu

gneh shut up.

What I was trying to say is in TF2, you can do something... I dunno, I haven't played TF2 in fucking ages and I don't really give a shit.

What you can get from these posts is that I don't care about vidya gaims apart from having fun killing the fuck out of noobs. sry. kbye.

prolly annoyed about the fact i suck at conc maps.
hey, i managed to get halfway down the easy surf on kz_surfmania in kreedz climbing.
maybe surfings more my thing now i know how to actually do it due to tutorials.

if only i could learn how to wall jump in any way in any game ever without sucking.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

I'm not in any way implying skill maps don't take skill.

I was referring mainly to quad jumping. And specifically the layout of the maps, so I guess it can apply to a lot of conc maps as well. I just think it's really boring just to watch some one juggle up and down over and over again.

I also just don't get quad jumping. I mean for all intesive purposes I have to assume it's nothing more than an afterthought to concmaps. It's basicly just upping the knock back so that you can complete already established conc maps, but with rockets. Especially when there's so much you can already do with stock.

That's why I like the types of jumps I posted, besides health they're much closer to what's possible in the game at it's base level. And I'd even go as far to say that the rocket jumping is very practical. I mean at 7:50 in that second video there's a jump that's taken out of normal gameplay. And hell, in FF you can do rocket jumps that do peanuts for damage with great results.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
gneh shut up.

What I was trying to say is in TF2, you can do something... I dunno, I haven't played TF2 in fucking ages and I don't really give a shit.

What you can get from these posts is that I don't care about vidya gaims apart from having fun killing the fuck out of noobs. sry. kbye.

prolly annoyed about the fact i suck at conc maps.
hey, i managed to get halfway down the easy surf on kz_surfmania in kreedz climbing.
maybe surfings more my thing now i know how to actually do it due to tutorials.

if only i could learn how to wall jump in any way in any game ever without sucking.
Surfing is great fun. Somehow barely figured out how to sort of do it in FF but the Kreedz tutorial is gold. Learned within half a minute.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Here's a poopy example of practicality:

In the first clip I use 3 rockets and a grenade. And the rocket I killed the spy with was basicly point blank so I took damage from that as well. You could do a lot more with 3 rockets and a grenade. And with better form you could do what I did with less, and probly look a lot smoother.

And the second clip while not at all "practical", I thought was neato. Two yellows on the ground, a blue in the air. But both clips are well within the reach of stock game play with no need to alter anything. Just an example of how not only can you do a lot with stock knock back, but that it can also be applied practically at least to rocket jumping

Old 08-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
ddm999
worst ff player eu

What I meant was, you can't RJ in TF2 as much because it takes a larger part of your health away.

After actually watching that clip and realising that's complete BS, and that on the wiki it says the rocket launcher deals 27-46 self damage when RJing, and also Soldier has 200 HP.

Whoops.

Should prolly update TF2 seen as there's like 2 or 3 new maps and shit.

EDIT: yeah, i'm prolly just annoyed at the fact i suck at using skilly things in any game ever kbye

Last edited by ddm999; 08-17-2013 at 07:59 PM.
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
ddm999
worst ff player eu

So, what I've just done is on my new map which hasn't actually been released yet, is jump as Scout a lot.

I've found a ton of Scout routes around it. I've found ones which I can't actually do, but I know they are possible, too.

Oh, it's a CTF map which is a recreation of part of avanti_classic, if you didn't notice.

And yes, I know how bad the quality of the actual video is.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
yikes

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXtric View Post
yikes
aleX jelly of those skillz

P.S. - Someone record themselves completing conc_exist and FDA will make a video of it.
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPelargos View Post
P.S. - Someone record themselves completing conc_exist and FDA will make a video of it.
Yeah, that's the type of boring ass shit I'm talking about.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I was with Moto and THUNDERCUNT in SFC last night doing some "intermediate" conc map... got the first jump after half an hour. I'm blanking on the map name, I'm sure Moto knows though. Conc videos from TFC are always a joy to watch, and I think Moto said he would try to get a video together because he's pretty good at those skill maps.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #20
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by -mooney- View Post
Aww man video no longer exists. Anyone remember the name of it? I'm going to scour the interwebz for this.

ff_plunder - Complete