Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
rannibunny
You are a pirate!

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
A heart for clanners...

I've discovered a rather rare species which needs our protection!
It's the clanner, a subspecies of the TF'er which has a weird mindset that sets it apart from anything that could be considered sane.
That weird fack thinks that a CTF-Map is about capping flags respectively preventing flag caps.
Get a load of this, there are freaks who have no idea about what their deathcount does to their right of speech! I even saw one of these sorry creatures telling someone where the capture point is, even though he had a kill/death-ratio that clearly denies him the right to do anything at all, especially enjoying a game of CTF (without returnable flags) or concing his teammate sniper in any conc route exit...
I even saw one of them telling someone to stop yarding on a server that clearly says clanstyle rules (even though these things should be password protected and probably not even listed in the server browser...) but don't worry: the warrior told said clanner-weasel to shut up and/or die.
The whole problem is, that clanners are too weak!
They can't handle yard-Deathmatch or Defenders that are faster/as fast as the attackers... sissies!
They even whine about Pyros, even though everybody knows that pyros are fine now!
Well, I kind of forgot what I wanted to tell you, if anything at all...
Feel free to demand my head on a pole or something ^^

Old 10-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rannibunny
You are a pirate!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
It's the clanner, a subspecies of the TF'er which has a weird mindset that sets it apart from anything that could be considered sane.
That weird fack thinks that a CTF-Map is about capping flags respectively preventing flag caps.
Get a load of this, there are freaks who have no idea about what their deathcount does to their right of speech! I even saw one of these sorry creatures telling someone where the capture point is, even though he had a kill/death-ratio that clearly denies him the right to do anything at all, especially enjoying a game of CTF (without returnable flags) or concing his teammate sniper in any conc route exit...
I even saw one of them telling someone to stop yarding on a server that clearly says clanstyle rules (even though these things should be password protected and probably not even listed in the server browser...) but don't worry: the warrior told said clanner-weasel to shut up and/or die.
They can't handle yard-Deathmatch or Defenders that are faster/as fast as the attackers... sissies!
They even whine about Pyros, even though everybody knows that pyros are fine now!
I think this will be addressed some time in the future.There are those who enjoy both clan rules and team freeforalls. There was a discussion some time back of having a server-vote system with comments, so that the newcomers can see which servers are reported to be helpful to newcomers while at the same time, those who enjoy friendlyfire and league rules can read through the comments to find good clan rule servers. Once this is discussed a bit more, tweaked for better indexing, and then implimented, it should clear up most of the confusion that arise. Plus, this system can also be used to separate bot servers as well when bots are implimented, or modded servers, if something like neoTFF gets developed.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
You know what I miss from my clan days?

Days where we'd forget about practice scrims and just have a great time on well2 in low grav. I'd pwn as an engi. But now that I've learned how to actually play counter strike, my skill has improved substantially, and I try less hard in TFC/FF when I play because of it. I love a challenge, even if my intentions are just to have fun, but at the skill level I'm at currently, most of the players are assholes....

I guess what I'm really tryin to say is I miss the days when I was a nub...
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 10-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
n3m
BT King ^^

Quote:
Yes because DMing mid map is so productive while your playing offence when you have a capable defence behind you to look after incommings... Wasting your time jumping around NML is a great idea... Sure why not just get both teams out there and spam each other for 30 mins while forgetting about the flags?? Thats good logic right there...

Im sure your quite contempt with getting that kill ratio up each map by pot shotting scouts that pass you in the yard but you see son the real score is how many flags your team caps... Make sense??

Old 10-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3m
Yes because DMing mid map is so productive while your playing offence when you have a capable defence behind you to look after incommings... Wasting your time jumping around NML is a great idea... Sure why not just get both teams out there and spam each other for 30 mins while forgetting about the flags?? Thats good logic right there...

Im sure your quite contempt with getting that kill ratio up each map by pot shotting scouts that pass you in the yard but you see son the real score is how many flags your team caps... Make sense??
By this logic if many people do enjoy yard mulching so much. A map should be designed like murderball but instead of just holding onto the ball it's a flag you cap. So it's a fight for the center grab the flag and try and make it back to your base with it. When/if you cap the flag is reset and it's a dash for the center again.

That way you don't need a defense in your base, and your whole team is dedicated on offense to cap the flag from the yard.

Cheers,
Hammock

Old 10-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Personally i enjoy both clan- and public-style matches. Knowing that you can rely on/be part of an organised defense or a well-oiled offense adds a lot to the game. Then again i agree with those that criticise "clan-style" server rules as too rigid and encroaching on other peoples playing style. Bans on midmapping, backtracking, ridiculous (imo) class role limits such as 'no def medic' certainly push the Fortress game concept into a very limited corner - then again, if bans on midmapping, for instance, were lifted, maye we'd really no longer have any nice tactical OvD (respectively) clashes, and no man's land would turn into the focus of the game..

I guess a partial solution would be to emphasize flag-capping and defending on the game side of things more heavily. After a maps time is over, there should be a big "Your lose!"/"You win!" screen to provide more incentive.. nobody likes being called a loser.. maybe points could be rewarded in a different way.. or there could be regular announcements in-game as to what the objectives in a fortress-style game are.. methods of turning people onto the capture the flag style of play need to be devised - but without having to force people to play a certain style.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
n3m
BT King ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pF-
Personally i enjoy both clan- and public-style matches. Knowing that you can rely on/be part of an organised defense or a well-oiled offense adds a lot to the game. Then again i agree with those that criticise "clan-style" server rules as too rigid and encroaching on other peoples playing style. Bans on midmapping, backtracking, ridiculous (imo) class role limits such as 'no def medic' certainly push the Fortress game concept into a very limited corner - then again, if bans on midmapping, for instance, were lifted, maye we'd really no longer have any nice tactical OvD (respectively) clashes, and no man's land would turn into the focus of the game..

I guess a partial solution would be to emphasize flag-capping and defending on the game side of things more heavily. After a maps time is over, there should be a big "Your lose!"/"You win!" screen to provide more incentive.. nobody likes being called a loser.. maybe points could be rewarded in a different way.. or there could be regular announcements in-game as to what the objectives in a fortress-style game are.. methods of turning people onto the capture the flag style of play need to be devised - but without having to force people to play a certain style.
All valid points, don't get me wrong I have no problem with people midmapping or DMing in NML thats the nature of public, im just having a go at the OP because of his ignorance to clan style play and him having a go at it without understanding why its there.

I really like the You Win / You Loose idea tho heh its simple but effective.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
rannibunny
You are a pirate!

maybe the OP used sarcasm... or something like that...
maybe the sentence "That weird fack thinks that a CTF-Map is about capping flags respectively preventing flag caps." could have given you a hint ^^

"I enjoy TF for it's ultra-competetive ctf gameplay."

Back when there was still a game called TFC, you could also cap flags in a public match, but when they released TF1.5 and uber-powered the hwguy and sniper while practically removing the Super Nailgun I think something changed...
Before that, I never thought about midmapping much (why bother? I'd conc through the midfield anyway, probably infecting some snipers along the way, gaining some frags for no actual real work...) but now, it's kind of hard to come by that massive amount of firepower...

edit:
btw. sorry if I sound like an asshole once more, I really tried to make a joke about how people join a [servername] clanstyle something something [/servername] server and make fun about the lamers who can't even take a yarding HWGuy, even though we all agreed that the elitist clanners (every single one of them) are the impolite ones ^^

Last edited by rannibunny; 10-26-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Most of the "elitest clanners" don't ever even see the pub players...most of us clanners stick to our own kind and set up scrims and 2v's etc. and LOCK the server so that we don't have to explain our "rediculous rules" to all the newbs who decide to come hopping in.

Me I prefer structure, I like the challenge of getting a flag out from a structured D as opposed to dodging random fire attempting to cross the yard to get to the base...HOWEVER everyonce in a while I just like to frag people as well. I also realize that not everyone thinks like me and that it's all on the server I CHOOSE (caps for a reason here) to play in...

The problem is that no one cares to ask they just assume it's their way when they jump in a server:

The solution is simple:

When you enter a server simply ASK "OvD?"

If you get a ya, yes, etc then the answer is obvious that these guys are playing by league rules. So join up on O (generally BLUE) or D (RED) and get in position!

If you don't get an answer or you get a bunch of wierd answer's like WTF is that or ????? or just plain NO...then you know it's frag time. So pick your class and start causing mayhem.

Another suggestion is that if you see a clan tag on the server name chances are that server is going to practice OvD so if you don't like that style of gameplay then just don't join...It will save everyone a lot of time.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 10-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #11
richard nixon

yeah there was one server I was in and I didn't know it had rules so I was killing people in the yard (on monkey) and got a warning. So I did what I was asked and just played defense inside my base. But I got banned when the door opened and I saw a scout come towards our base and shot him. He was at most 3 feet away from the door, and I get banned. They were also very hateful about it. Whatever, I can't tell people how to run their own server.

I'm just glad they banned me so I don't make the mistake of ever going back.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #12
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
lol yeah they'll do that to ya...you just have to ask everytime you join and add your fav's when you find one you like.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 10-27-2007, 02:22 AM   #13
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Oh yay another clanners-newbs thread to lock.

Closed Thread