Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Snow

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Promoting FF

Wow, that really sucked. I just typed up a post and the forum suddenly logged me out and made me re-sign in, losing all that text.

Well, I'm out of time now, so I'll just have to sum up what I said:

I'm new here and a new fan of FF. I couldn't play the mod before because I had strange lag problems with it, recently they seemed to go away. Now I prefer the mod over TF2. I like the style and look of TF2 characters/levels, but FF is still better, with nades, better balance and feels a lot more like the original. A player in a server last night was worried that not enough people are playing the mod to keep it alive. I did notice a lot of empty servers. I promised I would spread the word around. I was wondering, what promotional materials exist for the game? I know everyone here is hard at work, smoothing out the mod and adding to it .. and man, good work so far. Anyway, banners and links are one thing, but I know that other groups have done promotional stuff like holding community competitions for things like level design for instance and spread the word out on the net to potential designers. Some sites have even resorted to whacky stuff, like people dressing up as game characters and spreading the word on the streets (but please, please, if anyone dresses up like the FF classes, don't run around with realistic prop guns).

My favorite game... well second favorite now to FF is Soldat. It also has a very small community compared to the mainstream games out there. We have discussed promotion in the forums and somebody came up with the idea of making an official trailer for the game. I know there are videos for FF. I don't know if there is a trailer. I've known of the mod since the first page on Moddb and had it for quite a while (just wish I could have been able to enjoy it ealier lol), so I haven't been to the site or on the moddb page recently. Anyway, t-shirts are Soldats newest weapon of promotion. It seems like it's getting easier to sell t-shirts. The following is a company that also hosts a store for you. I don't know if you can make much profit from selling t-shirts through them. You could use whatever you get for profit for hosting the site.

Spreadshirt Company

Here is an example for game promotion:

Soldat T-shirts

--Snow.
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
IIRC, someone wanted to make t-shirts with the FF logo, the website url and something else, don't know if they were made or not...

As for trailers, there's the Dustbowl trailer, that shows most of the action in the game, as well as community made vid's (and some griefing videos too O_o). And lastly, I think the ValvE proposition of a Steam News update and showing up in the Mod section of Steam is still up, but being reserved for when the mod is completely done and tweaked (i.e, Training mode, some animations, balancing/tweaking of the Jump Pad, HW and possibly Pyro/Scout tweaks, etc.)

I don't know if all this is correct, but that's the last I remember.
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
FF's giant PR push will be coming with a future patch.

Whether or not it's the next patch remains to be seen, though.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
you keep saying that. it was supposed to come with 2.0. Then 2.1. Now some other far-out patch that will probably never be released? come on. lets start the promoting now.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
$h4m3

Promotion at the wrong time would lead to a total end of a game's future. If FF was heavily promoted at its initial launch, what do you think would've happened? Lack of trust. If a player doesn't trust the strength of a game they played once, it's unlikely they'll come back. 2.0 is a HUGE improvement over initial release, but there is always more that needs to be done. Anything new added will quickly need to be edited and that's something FF's current staff can't handle.
$h4m3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
DarkieJ

Why the cant handle it?
And is the whole old devs crew stopped with it? Or just on the background,

I must say i enjoy playing FF everyday and think if other people play this and stuck to it it will grow i see very mutch new people when iam online playing.
DarkieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
$h4m3

They're not a paid staff. They don't have 8 hours a day to dedicate to fixing the small stuff immediately and implementing huge things in a short span of time. They work on thier free time, key word being free.
$h4m3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
If a PR push is made too early, the exact thing that happened in 1.0 will happen again. 2000 players for 2 days... then 500, then 50 after a week. Give it some time... we are planning to get new things implemented that will allow for some new players to stay with the game.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
One good promotion right now atm would be to come out with a new gametype for ff and the best one could be put up in 2.1.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
Snow

Well, from the feedback in the thread, if official promotion would be too early for the game, then at least the community could do word-of-mouth promoting. Pass on the word that FF is shaping up to be a well rounded game and people should try it out, even if it is still considered beta or has a flaw or two. Teeny tiny minor things like a small bug or two won't chase newcomers away. My playing experience in FF so far has been without a glitch, well, after the strange lag thing finally disappeared.

So I guess in short, just keep it in the mainstream eye. "Hey everyone, just to let ya know, FF is up and kickin and the team is workin hard toward releasing the final finished version."
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

I doubt there will ever be a "final finished" version. This mod is and will remain in constant evolution because it's made by gamers for gamers for free and for fun.
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
DarkieJ

I gived my second hl2 game to someone that said i play that game, i rly like it did he say.
But i never see him online in FortressForever so mounth to mounth is not everytime good enough.

In the time of TFC. when i first got the mod i liked a few maps so i start playing that maps and saw some skilled people who where very good.
They had clan tags in there name and i really liked it.
So i was asking where it stands for.

Then i played the game even more,
The gamestyle in almost every servers then where DEF vs OFF (Defense VS Offence) so the clanstyle gameplay was easy to learn and when you got it in your head its alot more fun then just pub and working alone then really teamplay.

In ff there is alot new people in it starting the mod and not familiar with the gameplay but its even fun too! I hear it everytime.
DarkieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
you keep saying that. it was supposed to come with 2.0. Then 2.1. Now some other far-out patch that will probably never be released? come on. lets start the promoting now.
2.0 didn't have our requirements, it got pushed out early to meet demand.

The PR push will likely come alongside the following features, when they end up released:
  • Training!
  • 2fort, schtop, etc.
  • new maps with new gametypes (flex that Lua potential, etc.)
  • classes are sufficiently balanced (Heavy, Sniper, etc.) and useful (Sniper, Pyro, Spy).

In 2.0, we did not have these things... a PR push then would've been suicide, and that's why it didn't happen.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
T-shirt thread

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #15
StrYdeR
FFapper

Send a message via MSN to StrYdeR
A well made trailer with some style and flash agreed make a fine addition. New implementations included, made to accompany the push prior to release. build that hype.
StrYdeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #16
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Funny you mention soldat. If all goes well, FF should have a mode similar to it (and teewars).

FF apparel would be awesome.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 03:39 AM   #17
TACO-BELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
If a PR push is made too early, the exact thing that happened in 1.0 will happen again. 2000 players for 2 days... then 500, then 50 after a week. Give it some time... we are planning to get new things implemented that will allow for some new players to stay with the game.
Wow.. That soundz awesome.. hey have you heard of something called "SNIPER RIFLE"? It is a really popular special weapon from TF and TF2 and other games that alot of people play! You can shoot and take people out long range in big maps and help defend your base. Its especially alot of fun in big pub games when you can duel with other snipers and spies and.. oh, oopzZ...
TACO-BELL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #18
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO-BELL
Wow.. That soundz awesome.. hey have you heard of something called "SNIPER RIFLE"? It is a really popular special weapon from TF and TF2 and other games that alot of people play! You can shoot and take people out long range in big maps and help defend your base. Its especially alot of fun in big pub games when you can duel with other snipers and spies and.. oh, oopzZ...
Wait, what? No speaka...
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 03:47 AM   #19
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Yeah, what are you talking about TACO?

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #20
slay2rr

Class/Position: Pyro
Gametype: CTF
He's unhappy about the sniper nerf in 2.0, how the sniper rifle is now so weak. Maybe 2.1 wil fix that.
slay2rr is offline   Reply With Quote