Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #21
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
You weren't doing so bad today
Thanks....I felt rusty as hell tbh. I think it's been probably at least 4-5 years since I last played any fortress game. I had fun and I like the look and feel of the game. The effects on and from the concs are insane.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #22
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
haha i just played tf2 for the first time since its free, and i was accused of hacking within 15 minutes of being a demo
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #23
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
haha i just played tf2 for the first time since its free, and i was accused of hacking within 15 minutes of being a demo
I'm going to try it out as well. At least now I can have a legit opinion on the game (is that a good thing? I rather liked not being able to enter into any TF2 discussion).

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #24
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
tfc has a larger playerbase than us.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #25
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

I tihnk they released Medic only first because not enough people were playing medic before. But now too many are but it'll go down.

They said they are looking at options to get people the new weapons without the achievements.
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #26
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Once the rush is settled down completely things will be great. The new achievements give players a reason to play Medic here and there and in turn guarantee a medic on each team for awhile. I don't think I've went on a team without a medic since this patch.

I really want to see more goldrush type maps put out by the community. That kind of objective style would work in FF too *hint, hint*.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #27
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngeeMan
People are playing absolutely horribly because people who never played medic are doing it for the first time, or ignoring teammates to chase people with bonesaws or whatever.
So, once they get the weapons unlocked, are they going to want to continue playing Medic if they didn't want to before? I'm not picking on your statement, but did Valve have to hold out a carrot on a stick for pub players to want to be Medics? Was he only supposed to be for clan play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngeeMan
Also, I extended an invitation for Peon to come play TF2 this weekend but he never responded.
Awww heck...I thought you sent that out to a lot of people...I had no idea you cared. Actually I already played it when it first came out, just so I could say I tried it. I've always said that I really appreciate what they did with the graphics, and I think it's a cool tribute to the Fortress classes. What they did to their ablilities, is really what bores the living crap out of me.

I don't know if "slow" is an appropriate term to describe TF2, because the lack of nades and abilities really makes players quickly go at each other head-on without many things to hinder or complicate that. While it's definitely slower for the Scout and Medic, I have always referred to TF2 as "simple" or un-complicated.....shallow if you will. Just a real severe lack of options per class, enough to keep my attention. If I want to play a game with simple weaponry, I'll play CS or CSS, where there is steep learning curve in map strategy, and gun recoil.

In contrast, I've been playing FF since it came out, and I'm still finding new things to do, or new ways of playing a map, with just about every class. Plus, as if the Pyro wasn't radically different enough in FF 1.0 and 1.11, than his TFC/TF/Q3F etc. predecessors, the FF 2.0 Pyro is chock full of new techniques to try out. I don't even care that the Engy owns him, he's a pain in the ass for every other class. And that's just the Pyro.....I could go on.....and on.....
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #28
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon
So, once they get the weapons unlocked, are they going to want to continue playing Medic if they didn't want to before? I'm not picking on your statement, but did Valve have to hold out a carrot on a stick for pub players to want to be Medics? Was he only supposed to be for clan play?
Nope. They will play it until they unlock the achievements or get sick of trying. Medic plays a very important role on almost every map and there is a big distinction between a good and bad medic. Most random pubbies you find on the big servers just want to kill kill kill shoot shoot shoot so the concept of strategically healing, pushing forward, falling back, and utilizing the uber correctly are way beyond their patience. So what you get is usually 1-2 medics pre patch.

Some people just really enjoy the medic and know how important it is for winning, myself included. I believe it is my second most played class behind the solly and in front of the demo (the two most overpowered classes).

Post patch you had 8/12 players on a team as medics and it was just way too much. Running around with bonesaws and nail guns wasting their life away trying to randomly get achievements. However, things have really died down it seems and I recently was in a game where I actually had to switch to medic because we only had one other one and we were attacking on Gold Rush. So things are on the ups now it seems.

Remember when the Pyro got buffs in TFC? I remember the same rash of Pyros in that game. Eventually though everyone went back to what they usually played (mainly because Pyro blew previously and continued to blow post patch, and actually is still a poor choice as a class in TF2 against skilled players).

The unlocks are bad in the sense that they ARE blatantly better that the previous versions. The Crtizcrieg isn't and seems to be significantly less useful that the old Medigun. It may just be that people don't know how to utilize it yet, and that will come eventually.

I dread this weekend so I will probably stick to private servers and ride out the tide of the Free Play until next week.
EngeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #29
tml
make it rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
ROFL. Link is opening up the treasure chest to find another dungeon map? OH NOPE ITS GUTSMANS ASS
tml is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #30
EngeeMan
Banned

This basically is what it was like the night unlocks were released: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKLRq-s3tPE

Old 05-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #31
slay2rr

Class/Position: Pyro
The ubersaw quite imbalanced, because you can actually get 2 medics, medic1 ubers while medic2 goes ubersaw people and by the time the uber expires, medic2 ubers medic1 and medic1 can go charge up his uber. and then repeat.
slay2rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #32
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay2rr
The ubersaw quite imbalanced, because you can actually get 2 medics, medic1 ubers while medic2 goes ubersaw people and by the time the uber expires, medic2 ubers medic1 and medic1 can go charge up his uber. and then repeat.
I've seen this in-game and it really takes an idiotic team to fall for it. One soldier or demo can toss one or both medics in the air and ruin the whole process.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #33
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
They should just release the new weapons for each class without any sort of achievements tied to them. If they are to be alternatives (as has been said) rather than upgrades there should be no reason to make them unlockable. Of course the Blutsauger and Ubersaw are stupidly better than their original counterparts but that's beside the point.

If achievements are to unlock anything, it should only be cosmetic. Different taunts would be cool.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #34
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
yup, the achievement unlocking shit is pretty stupid. that they call them alternatives and not better is kind of funny considering in the loadout screen, all your normal weapons are level 1 and all the unlocks are level 5. luckily, im sure there are ways around farming for the achievements and still getting the unlocks...
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #35
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

There are.

I don't use them though because I like having something fun to screw around with when I'm tired of pwning.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #36
EngeeMan
Banned

Another thing that will have to be fixed tomorrow or the next day:

If you activate your Ubercharge then switch your loadout to the Crtizcrieg before the uber expires you will be permanently invincible.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #37
elwood
el duke.

Class/Position: spy evryfring & med.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
tfc has a larger playerbase than us.
yes it does.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #38
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
update is pretty cool, i hope yall are enjoying tf2 being free for the weekend and end up buying it

out of topic:
sorry but I just had to pay attention to elwood's quotes. I bet you think you're good now.
Gator- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #39
ensiform
Time Lord, Doctor
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTiger
update is pretty cool, i hope yall are enjoying tf2 being free for the weekend and end up buying it
I'm not even wasting my precious low harddrive space for the free weekend. And will definitely not be buying it or Orange box in the near future.
ensiform is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #40
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
no one cares, we have enough players in tf2 without you :L
Gator- is offline   Reply With Quote