trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
It'd be cool if we could just put FF on a bunch of CDs just to give out for free...everywhere.

Wonder how we could just get stacks at game store registers...but like that'd happen.

Quick, someone do something somewhere.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 04:27 AM   #42
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
http://www.discmakers.com/

Fuck yes I own.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 05:41 AM   #43
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
I can't get over it

I can't believe that some dumbasses here prove their stupidity by making fun of FF.......and you know who you are.

Some say the graphics suck.......so why don't you go and make fun of CS:S's graphics while you're at it......morons. This is the kind of person who goes into the bathroom to smell other peoples crap. The kind of dimwit who won't go bowling cause the black balls are ugly.

Some say the gameplay is weak.......yeah, if you're permanently stoned.......or maybe you have too much water in your brain cavity? Why don't you make fun of Chess while you're at it?

And one choice individual has completely poopooed the idea that FF could ever go retail.......this is what we call a defeatest.......someone who simply exists to screw things up.......the kind of guy who can't piss in a public restroom with the toilet lid up. The kind of scum who won't get out of the passing lane or speed up until you try to pass him......then it's a fucking race. The kind of person who would question the research of an accomplished scientist, because they always failed at it. The kind of person who can't wait for the end of the world, and thinks that it would be a real tragedy if they weren't around to see it.

You don't see me going into TF2 forums and trashing it's bland gameplay do you? Quit being self-absorbed, or someday you're going to hate the man in the mirror.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #44
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =AS= Pt
LOL. I received that mail too

I think that the idea you gave wont hearth if tryed, and that is the kind of thing that if everybody would think, some would have great ideas...as some i've seen in the forum. If the dev team says that this is the way of making FF available, then everything goes to make it bigger.

Oh, and still waiting for Paft to make an example lol. Guess i'll get old waiting.

And if the game would be advertised with something like this: "Some give you grafs... we give you frags... Join FF and take 3 guys before anyone can take you out" I dont think like paft that no one in the world prefers skill to grafs. I think lots of people want to have a chalenge. So FF can promote as it is. A skilled game, with lots of frags in the midle. Its a chalenge.
Am I not speaking the same language..? An example of what? Some kind of promotional/advertising idea? WTF did I just make clear in my last post?
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #45
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

Paft you have grown into the biggest asshole on the forum.

Anyway, I like Iggy's idea. I could possibly design a flyer if people want to go that route.
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #46
Paft
Beta Tester

I'm not even intending to be.

It's like you're all in denial.

No one is accepting that mod just hasn't attracted many people. Because people are oblivious to it's existence and we're the scattered few that do? no.

It was all go few days after release, it seems people gave it a go but don't care for it much. FACT IMHO. Why in saying this does it make me an arsehole?

xxx

Last edited by Paft; 11-09-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #47
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft

No one is accepting that mod just hasn't attracted many people. Because people are oblivious to it's existence and we're the scattered few that do? no.

It was all go few days after release, it seems people gave it a go but don't care for it much. FACT IMHO. Why in saying this does it make me an arsehole?

xxx
I said this in my first post, people who are interested in Half-Life 2 mods know about fortress forever. It isn't as if Fortress Forever has been in development for years now, had a fairly large release, and blurbs in magazines and interviews posted on gaming sites. And yet I can see at times less than 15 people playing it.

Really take a long hard look at things and try to figure out if the only reason for that is that someone didn't make a really ugly poster for the mod and stick it to the glass at gamestop store #102.
EngeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #48
public_slots_free

I think making up discs that look semi-pro would be a good idea. There is a LAN party here that has about 100 people registered so if I had something like this to give out, it would be cool. Unfortunately, the party starts tonight so I guess I should've thought of something sooner :X
public_slots_free is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #49
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
It's not too late to make flyers, or even go to a print shop and get a professional looking banner to promote FF.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #50
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngeeMan
I said this in my first post, people who are interested in Half-Life 2 mods know about fortress forever. It isn't as if Fortress Forever has been in development for years now, had a fairly large release, and blurbs in magazines and interviews posted on gaming sites. And yet I can see at times less than 15 people playing it.

Really take a long hard look at things and try to figure out if the only reason for that is that someone didn't make a really ugly poster for the mod and stick it to the glass at gamestop store #102.
I just love how you and Paft seem to think that every gamer in the known world has heard of this mod....when it's simply not true. Look at numbers; How many people own HL2? How many people play it, or any source game? Take that number...and subtract the number of dowloads of FF.

Chances are, a LOT of those people haven't heard of it. Not everyone subscribes to gamer mags, and not everyone hits a lot of gamer websites. Particularly casual gamers. Hell, there are people who have been playing on Drippy's for a few years and never once visited the website.

Face it, there are people who haven't heard of the mod. You, and those like you(defeatist assbags) need to come up with a way to reach them or simply shut up. Maybe 49 out of 50 people who walk into Gamestop know about it....but what about #50? If he's never heard of it, or never heard about the release....that's another person who will give it a shot. Each player counts. The more people we reach, the better.

Either be part of the solution(give some ideas, we are willing to listen)...or shut the fuck up. No one wants to hear "that's a stupid idea", or "FF is doomed", or any other shit along those lines.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #51
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
It's not too late to make flyers, or even go to a print shop and get a professional looking banner to promote FF.
Not to gas myself, but I can make a professional looking flyer, if people are actually gonna like stick that shit up places.
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 09:33 PM   #52
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I only made one to give an example(which is why I used the FF backdrop pic).... Make one, and let's give it a try. What do we have to lose?

I've got maybe 6-8 stores in the area I can hit this weekend.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #53
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
I don't agree. TFC was created 10 years ago... TF2 wasn't in development until way later on... The people hated it, and considering the hl2 engine was on the brink of releasing, they decided to scrap that idea and go with it. There isn't any info on when they started building this mod TF2 as we know it today, but it happened AFTER HL2's release.

If this was the vision they had for the game, why'd they completely change the gameplay? Yes, some aspects are similar, but for the most part, it's a different game. This is the NEW vision they had for the game, not the vision they had when TFC was released. I don't buy that at all...
TFC was supposed to be just a small "hold over" from between TF1 and TF2. TF2 got delayed time and itme again, so, TFC was the main TF game (so to say). thats why its sometimes called TF 1.5
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #54
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:

xxx

sorry, but he really isnt, hes being realistic. this mod is dying is because people really dont want to play it.
true, it may be sorta unknown, but really, it is pretty widely-known.
also, could we just go back to playing now? if we really had all of the active forums member PLAYING, we would have ourselves a good game, not too big of a community but hey, you can play with some people.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #55
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i think people know about the mod, but are full up with other people's preconceptions of it being as it was in the release - buggy and slow for some people.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #56
=AS= Pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
i think people know about the mod, but are full up with other people's preconceptions of it being as it was in the release - buggy and slow for some people.
I agree with this idea. The first day it wasnt very good, but with time it get a lot better, but people that already have tryed maybe wont do it again because had a bad start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
sorry, but he really isnt, hes being realistic. this mod is dying is because people really dont want to play it.
true, it may be sorta unknown, but really, it is pretty widely-known.
also, could we just go back to playing now? if we really had all of the active forums member PLAYING, we would have ourselves a good game, not too big of a community but hey, you can play with some people.
I dont think it is pritty known. Just Because you know about it cant say everybody knows about it too. That is just assuming that everyone do the same as you, just because you do it. I can say that if i didn't go ask, and search about FF i wouldn't know about it. You can't possibly think that 10% os the world gamers (WORLD GAMERS) buy game magazines or go to sites of gaming. Not true. The gamers i know are in school, are working and play for fun. They log into computer, start steam and start playing. Those who buy the magazines are the one's that have seen FF in 1 page, and TF2 and Halo in 5 each. What is the game you think they will try if dont know none? FF was smack down by TF2 professional work of distributing and promoting, because they had MONEY for that. If we cant go after that money to promote... Hell this idea its a great one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
It'd be cool if we could just put FF on a bunch of CDs just to give out for free...everywhere.
Why not do this? Its alot more efective then say to our friend "hey, go www.xxx.xpto (the link doenst work) and download it, you have to blablablabla...and our friend is like zzzzzzzzzzz or . That way its A LOT EASYER. LOOOOOOOVEDDDD THE IDEA.

Someone do an official cover so every body can have the same. I woulddo it, but it would be a CRAP, cause i just suck making things pritty.

Pitty that if they dont have Ep1, 2 or HL2 it wont work...Dooooh

Sorry for the language and grammar errors

Last edited by =AS= Pt; 11-10-2007 at 11:09 AM.
=AS= Pt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #57
Paft
Beta Tester

It's just a little fan made mod...you talk as though it popularity should or could be par with corporate titles such as Halo given the right publicity. Seriously, enough people know about it. 548 people were logged onto the forum on release alone.

I have more I want to say but I can't be arsed ; )

Edit:FF Steam group: There are 542 out of 2138 members are currently online...

Forum Members: 8,904! Think about the amount that are aware of the mod but aren't forum people.

Last edited by Paft; 11-10-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #58
EngeeMan
Banned

Quote:
It's just a little fan made mod...you talk as though it popularity should or could be par with corporate titles such as Halo given the right publicity. Seriously, enough people know about it. 548 people were logged onto the forum on release alone.

I have more I want to say but I can't be arsed ; )

Edit:FF Steam group: There are 542 out of 2138 members are currently online...

Forum Members: 8,904! Think about the amount that are aware of the mod but aren't forum people.
11,042* accounts between the steam group and the forums. 11,042 that 100% definitely, absolutely know about this mod. And yet less than 100 people play during peak hours.

Really, ask yourself if VALVE'S EVIL MARKETING MACHINE is really the issue here.

*There are many duplicates between forums and steam, but even if all the steam accounts were duplicated that is still 8,904 that absolutely know of the mod. Not to mention everyone who saw the magazine articles and didn't register, everyone who saw the news posts on PlanetHalfLife, Half-Life Fallout, etc over the past several years, everyone who has read a message board thread on the game over the years, everyone who read the TF2 interviews that mentioned Fortress Forever...

Old 11-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #59
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngeeMan
Not to mention everyone who saw the magazine articles and didn't register, everyone who saw the news posts on PlanetHalfLife, Half-Life Fallout, etc over the past several years, everyone who has read a message board thread on the game over the years, everyone who read the TF2 interviews that mentioned Fortress Forever...
Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of Counter-Strike players who saw "Three games, one box" every round, 30 rounds a day every other day--not all of them bought TOB.

Not everyone who knows of games will play them, but the more known a game is, the more it will be played.
VALVe's marketing machine isn't evil, but it's still a machine which is much more effective than the word-of-mouth, occasional magazine article marketing that FF has.

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #60
EngeeMan
Banned

Why is your entire reply about the orange box when it was only a few words at the end of one sentence in mine?

What of the 8,904 people (least-case scenario) that know about Fortress Forever but only around 55 people are playing at any one time. What's that, a 0.61% retention rate? So if you wanted 1,000 people playing on average you'd need 163,934 people registered on the forums.*

*Not accounting for the snowball-effect a large community has, or any other factors.