KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
obviously yes. this game will one day be the bees knees among all the hip youngsters who decide that games like call of duty and tf2 are no longer considered 'fun'.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #22
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
Popular by today's standards? No.

Grow over time? Possibly, but not likely.

Die off any time soon? No.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #23
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Popular by today's standards? No.

Grow over time? Possibly, but not likely.

Die off any time soon? No.
what he said ^
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
Dylstew

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
obviously yes. this game will one day be the bees knees among all the hip youngsters who decide that games like call of duty and tf2 are no longer considered 'fun'.
Please don't ever compare TF2 with COD....
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #25
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

TF2 sucks
COD sucks

Comparison made.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 08-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #26
Ronzui

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
new players

Been gone for a while, returning, realizing NG class is even shittier that before SG is way slower, Ng class even more difficult to play, Squeek says he never builds dispensers lol...wtf? new players come in want kills wanna play NG get their ass handed to them, leave...SGs blow seriously..cmon..
Ronzui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #27
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzui View Post
new players come in want kills wanna play NG get their ass handed to them, leave...
The players who would do that aren't the type of people who would stick around and learn the intricacies of the game anyway.

Last edited by CaptainAhab; 08-15-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #28
Fruitcake

Gametype: AvD/IvD
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Engineer isn't free kills without aiming? Obviously terrible class design please buff. In all seriousness it's fine for some classes to be noob friendly but no class should be a crutch for ez kills. Even pyros and heavy aim. Engineer needs to help his sentry get the kills 90% of the time. If he doesn't aim and is still pwning you its your fault considering how easy it is to blow a sentry down.
Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
2.0 engie was exactly that and people didn't stick around. I can remember people on pubs literally going to the basement/flagroom, making a level 3 sg, and chatting about life on the mic for the rest of the game. Occasionally wrenching it and making a new one. Not even kidding.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
Features-
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier / Medic
Affiliations: has left the game
Posts Rated Helpful 10 Times
Engineer is dependent on his team helping support his gun.. so it is not one of those classes you build a gun in the 'perfect' spot and just let it do the work for you. You have to constantly keep building and making the enemy work for flag movement while unloading all of their grenades/ammo on trying to take them down before they get the flag... also engineer is a lot more buffed in FF(charged rails almost killing enemies with full health/can build dispenser and level1 after re-spawning/recharging cells with rail-gun and automatic dispenser putting recharging ammo/cells) than it was in TFC.
Features- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #31
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I think your first line indicates the heart of the problem:

Quote:
Engineer is dependent on his team helping support his gun..
I accented the core word in that statement. FF has a similar player base to TFC. For competitive play, Engy is nearly spot on. For pubs, not so much.

In a pub setting, you can't be dependent on other players, because it lacks the organization. Does that make it a problem with the Engy? Partially. All classes should be strong enough to play alone, but better with the right support.

That's the issue, I think. It's too easy to defeat a lone engineer, unless he's highly skilled. Something "new" players obviously aren't.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #32
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Engi isn't really that dependent on team mates in a pub. I've found generally in pubs even having team mates is enough help. No guns obviously going to last forever, but you shouldn't have any problem getting one up and doing some work with it.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #33
chicken

Class/Position: Medic
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Please fix the hanging steam validation and hl2.exe crashes. Whenever I feel like playing it ends up crashing or doesn't launch at all and just hangs on the validating files window so I just play tfc or tf2 instead. I've also been getting huge fps spikes since the 2.46 update which makes it unplayable.

Last edited by chicken; 08-17-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: 2.46 not 2.6
chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #34
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken View Post
Please fix the hanging steam validation and hl2.exe crashes. Whenever I feel like playing it ends up crashing or doesn't launch at all and just hangs on the validating files window so I just play tfc or tf2 instead. I've also been getting huge fps spikes since the 2.46 update which makes it unplayable.
Maybe you should try reinstalling? I hate to say it but I don't think anyone really runs into any of these problems. I haven't heard of anyone else complain of these mystery fps spikes of yours. And for me personally FF doesn't crash any more than any other steam game, which is once in a rare while.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
You can't just say 'other Steam games' because the quality of those other Steam games varies wildly like a bitch. You have good games, good games with a few bugs (dammit XCOM: EU, I got really pissed at the couple of spelling mistakes in the last mission), and horrible games which are only on Steam because whoever Valve employs to decide who uses Greenlight and who is forwarded straight to Steam is a complete fucking retard.

Anyway, chicken, all Source games have random crashes all the fcking time though, and your comment about validating files doesn't make sense to me...

You either mean you get disconnected from a server due to Steam validation failure, which happens about once a decade to people and is easy to fix, or that Steam comes up and says it needs to validate files when you try to play the game, which shouldn't happen in the first place because Fortress Forever is a mod, meaning it doesn't use .GCF files and CAN'T be validated.

I've never heard of FPS spikes, but my PC is kinda good, and I always have 200 - 300 FPS.

Anyway, Engineer is a team dependent class based on his own attributes throughout every Fortress game. His main damage dealer is a static turret that is susceptible to longer range attacks, and can also be strafed around to dodge.

If you think about it, most defensive classes ARE.

HWGuy needs to be able to get to his killing spot as fast as possible, and is slow and susceptible to backstabs when firing his AC,
Demoman is quite weak, and relies on people to keep him alive while he sets up pipes and detonates them.

Soldier is the least team dependent, as he is the fastest defensive class when used well, the quickest killer when used well, but that's the thing, "used well".

Oh, and Sniper and Pyro are just ignorant pricks and no-one gives a fcking shit.

Also, I assume dependent is American, prolly? And therefore dependant is British. Because Chrome doesn't say either are wrong spellings. CONFUSING.
I prefer dependent, though. Dependant seems like it would be de-pendant, which would be removing a pendant from someone. Well, I just brought the English language into a forum on the internet to do with video games. Bye bye.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #36
chicken

Class/Position: Medic
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
You can't just say 'other Steam games' because the quality of those other Steam games varies wildly like a bitch. You have good games, good games with a few bugs (dammit XCOM: EU, I got really pissed at the couple of spelling mistakes in the last mission), and horrible games which are only on Steam because whoever Valve employs to decide who uses Greenlight and who is forwarded straight to Steam is a complete fucking retard.

Anyway, chicken, all Source games have random crashes all the fcking time though, and your comment about validating files doesn't make sense to me...

You either mean you get disconnected from a server due to Steam validation failure, which happens about once a decade to people and is easy to fix, or that Steam comes up and says it needs to validate files when you try to play the game, which shouldn't happen in the first place because Fortress Forever is a mod, meaning it doesn't use .GCF files and CAN'T be validated.

I've never heard of FPS spikes, but my PC is kinda good, and I always have 200 - 300 FPS.

Anyway, Engineer is a team dependent class based on his own attributes throughout every Fortress game. His main damage dealer is a static turret that is susceptible to longer range attacks, and can also be strafed around to dodge.

If you think about it, most defensive classes ARE.

HWGuy needs to be able to get to his killing spot as fast as possible, and is slow and susceptible to backstabs when firing his AC,
Demoman is quite weak, and relies on people to keep him alive while he sets up pipes and detonates them.

Soldier is the least team dependent, as he is the fastest defensive class when used well, the quickest killer when used well, but that's the thing, "used well".

Oh, and Sniper and Pyro are just ignorant pricks and no-one gives a fcking shit.

Also, I assume dependent is American, prolly? And therefore dependant is British. Because Chrome doesn't say either are wrong spellings. CONFUSING.
I prefer dependent, though. Dependant seems like it would be de-pendant, which would be removing a pendant from someone. Well, I just brought the English language into a forum on the internet to do with video games. Bye bye.

I get this problem over half the time I try to launch it, http://i42.tinypic.com/20z5q9h.jpg It just ends up with saying steam servers are busy and doesn't launch.
chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #37
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm999 View Post
You can't just say 'other Steam games' because...
Source mods, w/e.

Quote:
I get this problem over half the time I try to launch it, http://i42.tinypic.com/20z5q9h.jpg It just ends up with saying steam servers are busy and doesn't launch.
Reinstall.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 08-17-2013 at 08:11 PM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #38
Oreoman

Class/Position: Scooooooooot/NG
Affiliations: [SNAFU], ^HeLL
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
needs more CP/AVD maps those just seem to be more pub friendly cuz they can just handle much more players

also pls do buff engy i would absolutely just love that
Oreoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #39
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

AvD FTW!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #40
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreoman View Post
needs more CP/AVD maps those just seem to be more pub friendly cuz they can just handle much more players

also pls do buff engy i would absolutely just love that
I'm not sure I agree. CTF maps can handle just as many players. It's just that we've gotten used to the OvD style gameplay for so long due to the relatively small player base that it has become the norm. We need to encourage more people to play a regular style CTF game where both teams have offense and defense and doing that can often make CTF maps just as fun as AVD.

ff_plunder - Complete