Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #21
shadow
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
no i dont think it would take very long at all, all you have to edit are the vmt's (basically text files) and all you need to do is add one line. alot of copy/pasting is all you need, or maybe a way to append the text in batch.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #22
Scale
Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
no i dont think it would take very long at all, all you have to edit are the vmt's (basically text files) and all you need to do is add one line. alot of copy/pasting is all you need, or maybe a way to append the text in batch.
Yup u only need one line.

So my idea would be to disable the ignore z in vmt's and the transparent/glass vmt codes, i dont remember any glass in TFC (next to conc maps).

Any some of the devs are pretty smart so i think it wont be that bad,
Also they can rapidly update FF adding new detection for (insert new hack name here) and ban them
Scale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 PM   #23
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
ekim has a good point. the reason why so many people cheat at CS is because CS is a horribly frustrating game to play when you lose, and by cheating you actually spend more time playing the game.
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #24
Gunslinger

People will cheat in any- and everything simply because they can.
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #25
Vendicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger
People will cheat in any- and everything simply because they can.
How many people have never played a game a few times, then turned cheats on just to screw around with for fun?

Super Mario World for instance, I beat the game and used Game Genie to have fun with, and for other games aswell...

The same concept applies to people who cheat in online games, yes its at a higher cost of thier account or what not... but its still the same principle
Vendicator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #26
iMpi

It's not only the problem in hacking in pubs, if we want a true competitive FF scene we'll need ways to combat walls hacks. Aim bots are easy to find with programs cal has currently. But wall hacks are a whole nother story and hard to prove if the player isn't retarded.
iMpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 05:05 AM   #27
grg
el matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP.
The same way hedgehogs fuck - Slowly and carefully
ROFL!

Anyway, the problem here isn't about the "dumb hackers", honestly. Those can be catched up preety easy. It's more about the smart hackers, who use the hacks "silently" and make fun of everyone without a single person noticing (or taking too long). Maybe they'll even play wars and gathers, which is like blah.
grg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 AM   #28
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Semi-Official Response to the "Mat Hacker Problem"

Guys, don't mat hack. Come on.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 AM   #29
Gator
Community Mapper

Send a message via AIM to Gator Send a message via MSN to Gator Send a message via Yahoo to Gator
Why anyone would be stupid enough to cheat at a brand new game is beyond me. Usually, one decides to hack after the game gets pretty old in order to bring something fresh and new to the scene. While there might be those that will start hacking right away, I don't think many will do anyways. I'm sure that the FF team knows that they don't have to worry much about hacks in the first release...but they will have to implement anti-cheat techniques into the game eventually. Regarding cheating (I'm one to talk), I have thought about something that might scare cheaters from thinking to even hack at this game. Many cheaters that are once caught by the community eventually decide not to alias with a different ip / steam id. Instead, they hide through masking (name aliases / etc). While there did existed those cheaters that changed all their background to become a total new person, the majority of the cheaters who were caught couldn't do so. My idea would be for the FF team to monitor those who decide to cheat at the game. Once caught...why not just ban them from the engine (as in, they can't even load FF to even play in LAN / multiplayer). It would be fairly easy to implement (sort of like the current betalist script that FF beta currently runs on) and the team can add those who were caught. Add their dynamic ip range and their steam id into the database. That way, they will be forced to buy another copy of HL2 (in which this case you only need HL2 DM to play FF) and completely get a new ip. This would bring a barrier to cheaters, and many will terribly fail and decide to move on from this game and not alias at all. But then again, there will exist those that will successfully alias (I know a bunch that are past-current cheaters that are still playing in TFC leagues today , completely alias). Hope for a cheating-free game will never exist, but new additions such as a simple script to monitor caught cheaters can contribute to a sexy clean environment. In addition, new anti-cheat techniques can be added to the engine after the first release (and some basic ones before the actual first release).
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 05:32 AM   #30
Suite307

Hmm, think proxies are possible on halflife 2?
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 06:11 AM   #31
grg
el matador

It's more like the opposite. The fresh, new, good, to be played by many, game is the perfect target for the hackers. Add the fact that there'll be a bunch of spots to the hackers work on when FF is released. Starting with a good anti-cheating thing is very important, imo. Or else people will get the game, see that bunch of hackers fooling around, and give up of playing.
grg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #32
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Give servers the ability to query client variables so we can see who is changing what. Don't worry about detecting cheats, leave that to someone else, but give us the ability to see what a person is doing behind the scenes to do it for you.