Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Icculus
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
It's Official

Violent Video games can be good for you! (unless you are allergic to peanuts)

"Recent research has shown that as video games have become more popular, children in the United States and Europe are having fewer behavior problems, are less violent and score better on standardized tests."

-Icculus

Last edited by Icculus; 06-09-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Is and was always true. The fags shooting up schools are just born fucking psychos.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I think violent video games as well as film, music, writing, and so on do the opposite of what these social scientists think. They provide an outlet for aggression. Instead of running over prostitutes or bashing someone's face in with a crowbar in real life, I choose to do it in a video game.

People who blame video games for violent behavior are intellectually dishonest and lazy. It's much more convenient to blame ID Software than consider the possibility of our children being raised improperly by shitty parents and abusive families. What I don't know won't hurt me.

Negative emotion; It's all part of the human experience. It's inevitable. You can allow people harmless ways to vent this frustration (violent video games, movies, music, sports, etc) or you can suppress it until it builds up to the point of no return. That's why I think banning violent video games only fuels what was intended to be controlled.

Last edited by Bridget; 06-09-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I think violent video games as well as film, music, writing, and so on do the opposite of what these social scientists think. They provide an outlet for aggression. Instead of running over prostitutes or bashing someone's face in with a crowbar in real life, I choose to do it in a video game.

People who blame video games for violent behavior are intellectually dishonest and lazy. It's much more convenient to blame ID Software than consider the possibility of our children being raised improperly by shitty parents and abusive families. What I don't know won't hurt me.

Negative emotion; It's all part of the human experience. It's inevitable. You can allow people harmless ways to vent this frustration (violent video games, movies, music, sports, etc) or you can suppress it until it builds up to the point of no return. That's why I think banning violent video games only fuels what was intended to be controlled.
QFT!
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Researchers are dumb.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
NO YOU'RE DUMB.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post

I agree with you but there's a reason parenting has gone downhill over the past 30 years. It used to be that 1 parent could work full time and would make enough to support the whole family. Unless you are very fortunate, that's not the case anymore.

It's impossible to provide adequate parenting while working a full time job. Even the "quality" time after mom and dad come home from work is suffering. After working a stressful job all day, not very many people have enough energy to come home and play with their kids outside or even fix a good meal. So the kids are left with TV, video games, and quick/processed foods.

I believe that there are 2 main reasons kids are getting more and more obese in the US. The first is processed foods. Nobody cooks real food anymore. Every food commercial you see on TV is for cheap, fast, easy, processed crap and they're all marketed towards the "mom on the go". Cooking a real dinner these days consists of a box of hamburger helper. If you don't have time for that? We have microwaveable just about anything to suit your busy lifestyle!

The second reason is all the fear we live in. With all the "War on Terror" propaganda we've been assaulted with over the last 9 years peope are terrified to send their kids outside to play anymore. Heaven forbid we would actually let them walk to school alone! You're just begging to get kidnapped if you go that route these days.

Just last month we had an incident in the town I live in. Some people were on a bus headed from Maine to New York. One of the people on the bus was speaking to a friend of his in Swahili and another passenger on the bus swore that she heard this person switch to English just to mention a bomb on board the bus then switch back to Swahili. She informed the bus driver of her suspicions and the bus driver, after informing his superiors, pulled into my little town of 25,000 people and left the bus. the bus was quickly surrounded by local police, state police, FBI, ATF, Fish and Game, and just about any other "official" organization who could make it out there. They ended up evacuating buildings downtown and cost local businesses several million in lost revenue for the day. The "terrorist" in question did not speak any english and was afraid to get off the bus under the watchful eye of sharpshooters. Thus ensued a 9 hour standoff because nobody could communicate with him.

They eventually got in touch with a relative who could speak to him and told him what was going on. Needless to say there was no bomb but it's this kind of fear that has people keeping their kids under lock and key. Consequently they don't get enough exercise, their attention span suffers greatly because they get used to the fast moving flashy imagery that is television these days, and they eat shitty food on top of all that. It's a bad situation that doesn't seem to be getting any better..

so to circle back around to your original point, I agree that video games provide an outlet for all the anger and frustration kids feel and while they are definitely a safer alternative than actually doing some of these things, I don't think that kids have always felt this sort of helpless anger and "I don't give a fuck" attitudes that seems to be the norm nowdays. It's like keeping a hamster in a cage. Eventually they go a little nutty.

-Icculus

Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
DarkeN_HellspawN
FORUM ADM!N

Class/Position: O/D D/O - For life or death
Gametype: 2fort Spectating Llama GD Ex. TALOS Sniper
Affiliations: FF God, The Yellow Brotherhood
Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
the bus scenerio was a rightous call in my book...

If someone would have heard bomb and didn't call on it and the bus exploded later then it could have been prevented. You are damned if you do or don't so I say do. If you don't think something or someone is right then call then in. I would rather be profiling and safe then the other. Innocent people will be held on buses for hours but imagine if the FBI did nothing and it blew up. The people would scream for the blood of the government. In that scenrio one man was inconvinced just in case.

Dh

Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
You guys need to go outside and play...

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
What is this "outside" you speak of?
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Iggy dont go there! you remember what happened last time?
*shudders
we just cant risk it...
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkeN_HellspawN View Post
If someone would have heard bomb and didn't call on it and the bus exploded later then it could have been prevented. You are damned if you do or don't so I say do. If you don't think something or someone is right then call then in. I would rather be profiling and safe then the other. Innocent people will be held on buses for hours but imagine if the FBI did nothing and it blew up. The people would scream for the blood of the government. In that scenrio one man was inconvinced just in case.

Dh
Nobody would want to overhear something like that, do nothing about it, and have the bus blow up but if this woman had even applied a tiny bit of common sense to the situation she would realize that any person who was discussing a bomb plot in a foreign language would most likely NOT switch to English just to mention the bomb in question then switch right back to Swahili to finish up the conversation.

Diversity training, anyone?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I agree with Iggy's statement.

What is this "outside" you speak of? And is it worth downloading?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #14
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anshinritsumai View Post
I agree with Iggy's statement.

What is this "outside" you speak of? And is it worth downloading?
It's a strange place full of the unknown and potential danger. Stay far away.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 AM   #15
mkp123

Gametype: Capture the Flag
It is really great news to hear by all video game lovers like me that recent research has shown that as video games have become more popular, children in the United States and Europe are having fewer behavior problems, are less violent and score better on standardized tests. I have checked the link shown in this post and it provided me an interesting piece of information that violent video games can increase aggression and hostility in some players but they can also benefit others by honing their visual and spatial skills, and improving social networking ability.gamestop coupons

Last edited by mkp123; 08-21-2010 at 05:19 PM.
mkp123 is offline   Reply With Quote