Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #61
Toughsox

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon
Now we get to see if FF survives the COD4 and Crysis wave.
HUH? You mean there could be less then the usual 30 people playing it???
Toughsox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #62
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Quote:
I can't believe that some dumbasses here prove their stupidity by making fun of FF.......and you know who you are.

Some say the graphics suck.......so why don't you go and make fun of CS:S's graphics while you're at it......morons. This is the kind of person who goes into the bathroom to smell other peoples crap. The kind of dimwit who won't go bowling cause the black balls are ugly.

Some say the gameplay is weak.......yeah, if you're permanently stoned.......or maybe you have too much water in your brain cavity? Why don't you make fun of Chess while you're at it?

And one choice individual has completely poopooed the idea that FF could ever go retail.......this is what we call a defeatest.......someone who simply exists to screw things up.......the kind of guy who can't piss in a public restroom with the toilet lid up. The kind of scum who won't get out of the passing lane or speed up until you try to pass him......then it's a fucking race. The kind of person who would question the research of an accomplished scientist, because they always failed at it. The kind of person who can't wait for the end of the world, and thinks that it would be a real tragedy if they weren't around to see it.

You don't see me going into TF2 forums and trashing it's bland gameplay do you? Quit being self-absorbed, or someday you're going to hate the man in the mirror.
Referring to the posts about how FF isn't going to stores?

Grow up and get your head out of the clouds, hun. The posts here were realistic and down to earth with reasoning as to WHY FF can not hit stores. Valve obviously is not going to publicise FF beyond a news post. The Source engine costs far too much to license, and FF can't be sold without licensing it.

Distribution of CDs is the only chance we have, but even then, we're talking $.50 to $.75 for a disc, package, and logo for bulk purchase. When we start crunching the numbers, we're looking at $50,000 for 100,000 disks, which is what would be needed to have a backup storage and enough to distribute freely.

Advertising costs money. Incase it hasn't occured to you, a good bit of the team either has a life or is in school. The trepids are just the trepids. What does this mean? There's a small chance of garnering up the thousands of dollars needed to advertise on any major sites, or on many small sites.

If you have a good idea, by all fucking means let us know.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 06:17 AM   #63
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_Joker
VALVe's marketing machine isn't evil, but it's still a machine which is much more effective than the word-of-mouth, occasional magazine article marketing that FF has.
To back up this statement, I'd like to add that a lot of people I know are buying TOB simply for HL2:EP2, and Portal......with TF2, HL2,+EP1 being a bonus. Most of the people who buy it for that reason will surely give TF2 at least 1 try or 2.....why the hell not? So I do agree that being packaged in with other Valve products certainly gives it more exposure.

I mean, who would have ever gone out and bought Minesweeper if it didn't come with Windows? Would you sit for hours and play Solitare with a real deck of cards?......well I hope you wouldn't....maybe the first IE is a better example. Yeah...that's it....FF = Netscape, and TF2 = Internet Explorer, back in 1995. Alright maybe that's a weak analogy.........sue me.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #64
rannibunny
You are a pirate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT
They can't just sell FF since it uses the Source engine. In order to sell it, they would need to license the engine, which isn't cheap.

And to EngeeMan, not everyone visits those sites. While you are right that a lot of people did play it to begin with and decided to not play again, there's still a lot of people playing TFC/other games that have no knowledge of it.
Why would I want to visit Valve game HPs? I _hate_ Valve, with a passion.
Never thought something like Fortress Forever, that turns that sorry piece of engine into something playable was even possible.
rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 AM   #65
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox
HUH? You mean there could be less then the usual 30 people playing it???
Yeah....and I might have to take some time out to be one of them. There are just toooooooo many damn frickin' great games out, or coming out......I can't stinkin' stand it. I may have to only play for 2 hours a day now.

But....once I'm done, I'm sure I'll be back to FF as my distraction of choice. Wouldn't it be funny if FF were out for a long time before it became really popular? Who knows?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #66
GhOsT

Quote:
To back up this statement, I'd like to add that a lot of people I know are buying TOB simply for HL2:EP2, and Portal......with TF2, HL2,+EP1 being a bonus. Most of the people who buy it for that reason will surely give TF2 at least 1 try or 2.....why the hell not? So I do agree that being packaged in with other Valve products certainly gives it more exposure.

I mean, who would have ever gone out and bought Minesweeper if it didn't come with Windows? Would you sit for hours and play Solitare with a real deck of cards?......well I hope you wouldn't....maybe the first IE is a better example. Yeah...that's it....FF = Netscape, and TF2 = Internet Explorer, back in 1995. Alright maybe that's a weak analogy.........sue me.
One of the big reasons why TFC became as popular as it did was because it came bundled in a patch for HL. If it weren't for that there probably wouldn't even be a mod called FF.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #67
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngeeMan
11,042* accounts between the steam group and the forums. 11,042 that 100% definitely, absolutely know about this mod. And yet less than 100 people play during peak hours.

Really, ask yourself if VALVE'S EVIL MARKETING MACHINE is really the issue here.

*There are many duplicates between forums and steam, but even if all the steam accounts were duplicated that is still 8,904 that absolutely know of the mod. Not to mention everyone who saw the magazine articles and didn't register, everyone who saw the news posts on PlanetHalfLife, Half-Life Fallout, etc over the past several years, everyone who has read a message board thread on the game over the years, everyone who read the TF2 interviews that mentioned Fortress Forever...
Huh? The forums died and we had to start over. I'm not sure exactly, but I think about 3,000-4,000 old members are counted toward the total member count of the forums. Unless I've always just completely misunderstood what happened there.

And on top of that, how many forum members are also part of the Steam group? I'm gonna take a guess at about 80%...just a made up statistic, but I bet I'm actually underestimating.

Point is, your 11,000 is a ridiculous number. A few thousand at most, that's it. At least as far as people being involved through the forums and Steam group.

Granted, a lot of people have downloaded FF, a lot have tried it, but not a lot of have stuck around. Probably cause hunted takes up so much memory............wait.......
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #68
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
I got that number from the Forum statistics, I presumed it was false (but thought fk it for argument sake :]). Still 3037 registered to forum alone for sure.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #69
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
The main thing to look at is the Active Members count. I think before release, I saw it at 575 or something like that. Right now it's 825. A whopping 250 higher. Did anyone pay attention to that number right after release? SOMEONE TELL ME NOW!

"Kage, come here! I want you!"
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote