Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Guide to a better TF culture.

There are many who are concerned that elitism is what drove TFmods into the ground. Whether clanning or pubbing, if it the case, then the blame is on the players' for not addressing the issue. Elitism is not preventable, but the culture in which elitism exist, can be one that condemns it. These are some things that each player can contribute to keep the tf society as a competitive, yet good-sportsmanlike culture:

Quote:
1. If someone on your team caps the flag, congratulate them with something like "n1," or "gj."
-kind of should be obvious; the offense often goes through a guantlet of obstacles to make the team look good; a congrats message helps encourage the flag capping activity

Quote:
2. If you happen to cap a flag that was mostly brought by someone else, congratulate the person with "whoever brought the flag out of enemy base, good job man."
-kind of should be obvious also; a guy puts a lot of effort getting the flag out of the flag room and someone else caps it; a congrats for his efforts encourages the flag capping activity; if the phrase is too long to type, bind it to one of your kp_keys, with alterations on other binds

Quote:
3. If capping flags become easy, and you realize it's obviously due to your team having more vets/better players, then refrain from being a gloating jerk.
-often times, this and #4 start a pissing contest to see who can diss the other; less dissing, more flag running = good game, good fun, good time

Quote:
4. If you're on the defending team, and you have support, and its obvious there's only 1 or 2 flag runners from the other team, refrain from comments such as "MY ROOF" or "TOTAL SHUTOUT."
-this and #3 most likely stop the other team from running flags, and after a few comments like this, players leave; worse, new commers get turned off by such comments; elitism thrives on #3 and #4; also, its important to remember, the offense has a lot of stuff to go through just to get to the flag; and then has to go through it again, to get the flag out; it shows a significant lack of maturity and lack of good sportsmanship when comments like those are made

Quote:
5. If someone on your team is being a gloating punk, tell the guy to stfu.
-if the opponent team says stfu, it only fuels the fire, because it can be interpreted that the reason it's said, is because they're losing; those that gloat eventually spread into other tf mods, and pass on this budding elitism; by condemning elitism attitudes from the same team, especially by top players, it reinforces the idea that elitism is not favorably looked on, while also introducing the new blood to the good sportsmanship culture that TF used to be

These are only guidelines for what each player can do to contribute to the tf society to keep the game fit/enjoyable for clanning, leagues, and lastly, pubs. You can be an asshole if you want to. But don't be surprised if in 3 years, someone better than you comes along and rub his superiority in your face. Most likely, it's a direct/indirect consequence from the lack of improving the current trend of gaming culture, including the tf society.

For the new comers who are reading this, i encourage you to take a look around the forums to see which servers seem to collect friendly players. As far as I know, there has been a suggestion for being able to vote for servers, with comments avaliable, so that good servers can be separated from the bad. If that system of server sifting is implimented, then other new comers, as well as those who have been around for some time, will be able to check out which servers are prone to promote good tf culture and provide an enjoyable gaming experience.

GG and hope to see you guys in FF.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #2
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
I don't think primary school children will read this.

Remember to say please and thank you.

Last edited by Paft; 10-23-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Riff Zifnab
-TPF-

Well at least its being said Paft, never hurts. One good thing I can say about the FF comunity is that a good percentage of the people playing gg at the end of a round. I almost never saw that when I was playing CS or other FPS. So keep that up.
Riff Zifnab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Yea I agree. I've kinda got about a half a dozen people saying gg at the end of a map on my CS server. generally on a TFC server, the wait time before the map changes is a little bit longer than waiting for map to change in CS, but maybe it was just the specific servers I played in.

Also, whenever I'm playing and I see a medic or someone carrying the flag, and they die, if I can stay alive, I'll try to bring it further and throw it to the original flag carrier so they can get the cap. You don't know how dicouraging it is when you make it almost to your base and a teamate steals the cap when you just spent 10 minutes trying to get the flag out of the nme base.

We need more servers with active admins there to control the idiots who flame others, or do that SG building in front of doors, preventing people from exiting their spawns.

There are still lots of decent people who play TFC and hopefully once these issues are fixed with the patch, more people will flock to FF and we can all have a great time.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Nice little guide. If people read this, the community should get a little better.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Going off of Kube i totally agree...i generally just get inside the base and ask who's cap it is. Then let them come get it and cap it...

Also great jod Dr. it's nice to see someone doing something proactive here instead of just flamming everyone. Hopefully it will actually make an impact!
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Loader
>_<

Kinda contradictory... "tell the guy to STFU"

and im sure the vast amount of 3 year olds who play will find this very helpful.
Loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
How is that contradictory? Telling some jackass to stop being a jackass is a lot different then being a jackass in game! Plus generally people on your own team will listen more if it comes from a fellow teammember as opposed to someone on the opposite team.

Also I think it was more directed at the people who act like 3yr olds telling them to stop acting like that and make it a better experience for all...why does there always have to be one guy who decides to be an ass?
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 AM   #9
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
6. Always end a round with "gg".
gg is a tradition that goes back to the original Team Fortress and has persisted through TFC and FF. Keep it going. No matter how things play out, always end a round with gg ("good game").

If you are leaving, say "gg". If someone else is leaving, say "gg" to them. Anytime someone says "gg", a flurry of other people usually say it out of respect.

"gfg" means "good fucking game" and is seen as sarcastic and disrespectful. Try to stay away from that. Watch that f key!

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 01:34 AM   #10
Paft
Beta Tester

Nah be honest no BS. I sometimes say SG.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 AM   #11
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
^On Accident?

Anyways
Also Try to be helpful as much as Possible
I was playing Dustbowl earlier today, and I was Playing Spy. I sabotage 4 Sg's at the same time. As disguised spy, I passed through Sg's, got the flag, lost disguised and used Sgs for a push to Cap Point. Well I did this every round and people were getting piss off, blaming their own team that they suck etc. So i told them that the should spy check as part of their Defence. After that the whole team were spy checking and they made it more challenging for me.

So please Try to be helpful as much as you Can

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
GhOsT

I think the problem persists more than being rude in pubs. Unfortunately with TFC unwritten rules about OvO and potshotting started to spread and eventually became rules in leagues. These rules spread on to pubs. New people obviously have no knowledge of the rules which causes the clanners playing to yell at them. Unfortunately these rules have carried over into FF which is eveident by the number of clan style servers that popped up.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #13
rannibunny
You are a pirate!

I'd feel it would be better if people who read "conc route exit"'d realize that this is NOT the sniper/hwguy/Sentry spot
rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
heres how i play.

i always tell my team AND the other team gj when they cap the flag.(we're not enemies we're just playing a damn game, all here to have fun)

i ALWAYS ask the person on my team who dropped the enemy flag if he wants it, if he says no and to cap it then i will. alot of times it'll be dropped right outside the enemy base or right inside and i'll grab it and run back to base before saying anything.(gotta make sure i'm safe first)

if my team is owning, talking like 150-0 or whatever, then i offer to go to the other team, in most cases i wont ask or i will switch even if they tell me no. i dont care about winning or losing, i'd rather win but much more than that i'd rather have fun.

as far as talking trash i ONLY talk trash to ppl i know and have played with before and its friendly trash talking only because i know they know i'm joking and wont take me serious.

and lastly when you have somebody on the opposite team being a total jerk, trash talking and running off at the mouth do what i do. focus ALL of your attention on him, own him big time, let other members of his team run by you while going for him. let him know your after him and him only. dont run your mouth, theres no need. he'll get tired of you being in his face every time he turns around, i promise.
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------
GambiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #15
Paft
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
^On Accident?[...]
Hah, Sh*t game. :>

Old 10-25-2007, 04:07 AM   #16
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Quote:
Originally Posted by GambiT
and lastly when you have somebody on the opposite team being a total jerk, trash talking and running off at the mouth do what i do. focus ALL of your attention on him, own him big time, let other members of his team run by you while going for him. let him know your after him and him only. dont run your mouth, theres no need. he'll get tired of you being in his face every time he turns around, i promise.
oh YES. i especially do this to snipers, even if they arent talking shit. on aardvark and well, i make it my duty to ruin sniper booty.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #17
rannibunny
You are a pirate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
oh YES. i especially do this to snipers, even if they arent talking shit. on aardvark and well, i make it my duty to ruin sniper booty.
yeah, that's fun, I do this myself, sometimes ^^

Btw. these politeness rules are actually fun as well: I tried to use most of your FF Server Knigge (Knigge was some poor German nobleman who said something about being nicer to each other... now whenever someone releases a book which tells the reader how to behave himself if he doesn't want to be seen as a barbarian it's called a "Knigge". I promise, I never read one, especially not the one from the guy who told sunbathing women what's the proper thing to do with their breasts... but when I ever find that book, I'll read it, I promise ^^) yesterday and thought it was really enjoyable ^^
rannibunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #18
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Personally, all this is good and well but the majority of people will find out about this ingame and THEN decide if they want to continue trying, I remember just gettin' into CTF and my first time on CTFL was hell, I backstabbed a med and then got a flurry of !admin calls , thankfully someone was kind enough to explain what they meant by backtrackin' and not to do it, after that I was kinda fine, it all clicked at what not to do and what to do, just by kinda takin' a backseat on the action and taking notice of the wank that was goin' off :P
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
7. When someone asks about bhopping, instead of being a jackass, take some time to show them, or at the least, show them a website or link that explains how bhop works.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #20
Mr. Happy
FF LOL

I think this is too long a read for those who need it but still A+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
Nice little guide. If people read this, the community should get a little better.
I always forget what my flag throw bind is and I think "capping is more important so he can go get next one"
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote