Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 11-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
o_dr zoidberg

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Buying a guitar

Alright, so im going to buy a guitar.

I've thought about it and i want a les paul, a gibson les paul costs more than i can afford so i wonder if the Epiphone les paul is something to have? I've heard it goes out off tune if you play to "violently" on it, which is bad when you want to play fast stuff that i like. But anyone know anything of this? I also heard the neck bends quite easily, Tho thats easily fixed that shouldnt be a problem

I've also thought about a Gibson SG, But i dont really like the sound you get from it snice its not quite the same as the Les paul. And i dont feel like spending money to change the mics.

Any thoughts?
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
o_qwertyuiop

My Epiphone Les Paul Standard is great. Mine has Grover tuners, and they stay intune very well. I don't think you'll have troubles with it staying in tune. Overall I think it's a nice guitar. I don't really use mine anymore though, I use my '83 strat most of the time.

Last edited by o_qwertyuiop; 11-02-2006 at 01:52 AM.
o_qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 AM   #3
o_dr zoidberg

I dont like the strings you get with it from store but i guess thats easy fixed :P

Ill probably buy an epiphone les paul.

Then after that i need a decent cheap amplifier

any recommendations?

Last edited by o_dr zoidberg; 11-02-2006 at 01:31 AM.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:51 AM   #4
o_qwertyuiop

Well, what sort of amp do you want? How many watts do you need? Tube or solid state?

Old 11-02-2006, 01:55 AM   #5
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg
And i dont feel like spending money to change the mics.
mics? do you mean pickups?

also, bear in mind a lot of the sound quality is in the making of the guitar itself. i've found epiphones to be good guitars, although i dont own one myself. my mate has a gothic explorer and its got a lovely neck, and holds tone brilliantly. the LP should also have a two part "tune-o-matic" bridge, so the tune should hold. forget trem bars, they are more trouble than theyre worth unless you get a REAL floyd rose.

as for an amp, try a marshall MG. 15-30W should be plenty.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:29 AM   #6
o_darkness24713

banjo all teh way
o_darkness24713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 04:26 AM   #7
o_coldy

If the neck bends just learn to play slide.

Oh and I'll throw in the Vox AD15 as another good practice amp. It has decent and pretty broad effects and it's loud for a 15.
o_coldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
Decs
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
as for an amp, try a marshall MG. 15-30W should be plenty.
Are you bonkers? Seriously?

I owned a MG 15W back in the day (3 years ago or something?)
Yes its cheap but it isnt decent, its just a pile of shite :P
Im sure you can do better than that even in that pricerange.. cant you get a roland cube or something.. In the budget transistor amp market roland cubes used to be the stuff to go for if you care about bang for your buck. Things might have changed but since your recomending MG which is a fairly old marshall transistor series i think you would be better off with a cube.

Edit: Oh and if your in the market for a really cheap tube amp try to get your hands on a Mesa/Boogie Subway rocket. Hard to find a tube amp cheaper than that and it sounds pretty awesome for the size/price of it aswell. But its a discontinued model so you will have to look for a used one.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

meh, well i was going on what i heard from the MG100s my mates both have. they sound awesome with a boss MT2 pedal.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
o_qwertyuiop

If you're just learning to play guitar, you don't need a loud amp. Try a roland micro cube or cube 15. They each have 6 effects, which is cool for you to mess around with before you consider buying any effects pedals. They are both very cheap and are great beginner amps. 15 watts can be pretty loud though, for just practicing in your room. The micro cube is only 5 watts, and that's about perfect.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
Decs
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
meh, well i was going on what i heard from the MG100s my mates both have. they sound awesome with a boss MT2 pedal.
Its so dry, clinical and annoying D: especially the gain.
Sure, its not a tube amp but its some of the worst sounds ive heard from an amplifier, only beaten by the spider ii that ive also owned haha.
Im not a huge fan of the marshall sound to begin with, im a mesa man but the MG series is just a huge no no in my book. Waste of money ;P

Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #12
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

my fender blues junior is 12w, and gets 10x more complaints from the parents than my 100W marshall! (not MG)

i dunno, i've grown up with the sound of my marshall amp for a while, so its the norm for me. i just cba changing amps usually, but i really want to get a peavey 5150!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
o_dr zoidberg

well I'd like a tube amp thats for sure. but i dont really know snice i dont really have to play with all the effects cause when i go play in a studio or live or whatever i have plenty friends and contacts i can borrow nice shit from.

I really like the led zeppelin overdriven blown tube amps sound =D

But i think ill buy some shitty peevey thing snice im only going to practice on it.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:05 PM   #14
o_qwertyuiop

Well, how much money are you willing to spend on an amp? Tube amps are far more expensive than solid-state amps, and require a lot more work and maintanence (replacing tubes, biasing tubes). If this will be solely for practicing by yourself, you could get an epiphone valve junior. It's a 5 watt tube amp, and because it's only 5 watts it's easier to get the great sound of a cranked tube amp without it being overly loud.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:11 AM   #15
o_deadly furby

Bottom line....
If you want a Les Paul then save until you can afford one. Buying an Epiphone is like settling for a Mustang when you really wanted a Lotus. Don't settle for less than what you actually want or you will regret it. I purchased my first Gold Top Les Paul at the age of 17 and if I could do it, then you can to. Save and get what you really want and don't settle for something that's really just a look-a-like.

Worry about the amp after you've gotten the guitar.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 02:17 AM   #16
o_qwertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Furby
Bottom line....
If you want a Les Paul then save until you can afford one. Buying an Epiphone is like settling for a Mustang when you really wanted a Lotus. Don't settle for less than what you actually want or you will regret it. I purchased my first Gold Top Les Paul at the age of 17 and if I could do it, then you can to. Save and get what you really want and don't settle for something that's really just a look-a-like.

Worry about the amp after you've gotten the guitar.
Bad advice. Don't buy a Gibson as a first guitar.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:09 AM   #17
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

the rich kids do that, then theyre left with a £1k piece of wood when they pack it in 2 weeks later. get a starter guitar, then trade them in and get better ones, and more too

Old 11-03-2006, 04:47 AM   #18
o_bumgravy

I got a Marshall MG100, and a Epiphone LP Goldtop with Seymour Duncan pickups, '59 in neck and Distortion in bridge, and Ive been happy with it. You can get a very wide range of sounds with this setup, especially with the on board effects.

And if the neck ever goes out, it can be corrected if you take it to any guitarshop easily. Although Ive never bent mine that far, even though i sometimes get drunk and bend it whilst hitting a huge chord to give a kind of whammy effect. Which is not recommended for the health of your axe.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote