Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #441
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Why was it you don't just play TF2, again?
-I don't like the cartoon look
-I don't like the respawn waits
-I don't like ubercharges
-I miss the secondary grenades
-I miss FF ragdolls
-I hate their version of dustbowl
-I miss some extras for different classes (detpack, infect, etc.)

What I DO like are classes that feel distinctive from each other. Right now the medic is used primarily as a scout. I find the concept of a unit where the primary focus of it is to heal other units appealing. It's one of the few things I think was done right in TF2.

Quote:
To a new player of FF or TFC, does a medic that can't heal properly really make sense to them? It didn't for me.
And it still doesn't to me, it feels like a class where conc jumping was sort of a secondary aspect of the medic class, but has been exploited to the point where people see it as its primary purpose (and is played that way). I'm sure it is more effective this way, it just seems like it misses the concept of the class. And by concept, I mean when the medic was originally designed (before FF I mean), I doubt the creators sat down and focused on creating a class designed for capping flags even moreso than a scout when they made the medic.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #442
Bakez

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I don't want to obsess over class names, although I the medic is a particular problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity
And it still doesn't to me, it feels like a class where conc jumping was sort of a secondary aspect of the medic class, but has been exploited to the point where people see it as its primary purpose (and is played that way). I'm sure it is more effective this way, it just seems like it misses the concept of the class. And by concept, I mean when the medic was originally designed (before FF I mean), I doubt the creators sat down and focused on creating a class designed for capping flags even moreso than a scout when they made the medic.
This is the point I'm trying to make. The medic's role has evolved into something completely different to what it was originally designed for and what players think they should be doing when they first pick up the game. It's one of the many things that for that made/makes TFC so great, but I highlight again that this role simply doesn't exist to new players.

I don't know why people want to dismiss TF2 so much, I don't like the game either, but Valve has highlighted the problems in TFC and found a solution to them. Their solutions don't have to be the only solutions, but the problems will still be there if you don't do anything about them. The specific medic problem (which is why we are having this argument - it doesn't make sense that a class called medic can't heal very well) or more generally the problem new players have finding out what each class should be (or is best at) doing is still here in FF.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #443
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

And the sole reason you don't like FF is the lack of a distinctive healer class, surely you can live with that and just play the game? Also respawns and ubercharge are two big factors in making the medic class useful.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #444
Weezy69

just take the concs away and the fucker will start healin..

Old 02-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #445
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the game.

Ronald Reagan

Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #446
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by -pF-
That's actually a good point.. maybe a medic should be able to see a teammate's health status more prominently on the hud (bigger text size or something - possibly even a health status bar floating above the other models)? It'd be helpful to medics who are interested in well, being medics, and it'd visually reinforce (part of) the role of the FF medic.
I think I suggested this a while back in I&S - don't remember if I did.

On drippy-'s 2fort, when you are playing as Medic you see Infected Players on your team and their location.

Since FF has built in locations, this should be added in as well. It would go a long way towards helping Medics be more like Medics.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #447
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
i would be happy if healing was as easy as it was in TFC. In FF, you could be very close to someone, it makes the noise, but no health change, only because they were moving. sloppy coding, is all. fix.

oh, ad i liked that in Drippy's 2fort, it made me be a good defensive medic, coupled with medics that could heal moving teamamtes, i kept the D alive.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #448
a082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
I think I suggested this a while back in I&S - don't remember if I did.

On drippy-'s 2fort, when you are playing as Medic you see Infected Players on your team and their location.

Since FF has built in locations, this should be added in as well. It would go a long way towards helping Medics be more like Medics.
I hope this can be added in ff

Old 02-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #449
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
i would be happy if healing was as easy as it was in TFC. In FF, you could be very close to someone, it makes the noise, but no health change, only because they were moving. sloppy coding, is all. fix.
/me quotes the very first post in this thread, and also front page news:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
- Medkit fix. Should be much easier to heal people with medkit and spanner now, as friendlies are lag predicted now. (thanks jiggles)

Also, throwing people medpacks instead of running up to them is friggin awesome.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:37 AM   #450
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
many much friggin awesome!
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit

Old 02-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #451
Mortifer Soldat`ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Keep in mine that making an accurate crosshair would be difficult because of this:

Code:
\
 \      Diagonal Line = line of fire
  \
   \
    |\
    | \    Straight Line = player's view
    |  \
    |   \

Its the same for the RPG since TFC; thats where me and sploosh made crosshairs to kind of "guide" you as to where the rocket would land. If you want a body shot on a person, you have to move the crosshair to the left when they are close - but if they are say on the second floor, or mid-map - just aim true to the crosshair. It has been the same way for aeons. Most ppl have already made the adjustment, and its not that hard to center your aim for a long distance shot, that one just takes one good round of play to get sorted out.

But ya know, so many ppl are whining and crying over such little shit that isnt really going to be seen... I think you guys should be like valve. Just be quiet, watch the forums and see what the problems are, then make a patch and dont say anything about it, just make an update, show the changes and move on.. they've got it down to the "T".

That was kind of asshole-ish... Eh just link me to 2.0 d/l :P
HURREH!

P.S.

when noobs play, they dont pick engineer, they go soldier or HW - proven fact.

Last edited by Mortifer Soldat`ch; 02-10-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #452
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
But ya know, so many ppl are whining and crying over such little shit that isnt really going to be seen... I think you guys should be like valve. Just be quiet, watch the forums and see what the problems are, then make a patch and dont say anything about it, just make an update, show the changes and move on.. they've got it down to the "T".
Speaking as someone who works with the SDK all the time and has gone to the trouble of running it on a fucking emulator so that Steam can't auto-update it and load it with bugs, I'm kind of glad they DON'T do things the Valve way.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #453
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
zomg, give me that SDK. MY SDK is now completly ruined . I would like the one that was there before october, the september of '07 would be nice, thats the SDK that actually worked for me. Please?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #454
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

I know this is way off topic, but I just noticed I'm quoted in skanky's sig! I'm so badass!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #455
Da Spadger
Insert stupid title here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy69
just take the concs away and the fucker will start healin..
Approval.

That, and the ability to have the buff stay instead of just counting down back to the default health value.

Maybe you should get one point per HP you give to someone too.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #456
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Spadger
Approval.

That, and the ability to have the buff stay instead of just counting down back to the default health value.

Maybe you should get one point per HP you give to someone too.
Some people do not understand game mechanics.

Ronald Reagan

Old 02-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #457
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortifer Soldat`ch
Then people whine and cry that we don't tell them anything.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #458
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

Old 02-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #459
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Damned if you do, damned if you don't