Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
punk

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Sniper

So far I really like FF, of course there are bugs to be fixed, things to be touched up, but that is expected. Overall I'm not dissapointed by any means, I know a lot of hard (long) work went into it, and it does show. But it seems to me that there is just something not right with the sniper..

Maybe it is just me, and being used to Q3F/ETF, but the sniper seems very poor in FF. Now I know I don't have the best aim anymore, but I also know it's not that bad. Plenty of times I aim right at someone's chest, who is standing still, and it misses completely. I know in the "known bugs" thread, it lists that some weapons don't always hit where the cross hair is, but is the sniper rifle included?

I've waited a long time for FF, since around the time is was announced, and I'm fairly upset at sniper It also seems not to be very powerful, I understand (and like) the charge, but sometimes I need to shoot a demoman or soldier 3, 4, or sometimes 5 times to kill him. I think that is a bit extreme.

Again, maybe it's just me, having played Q3F/ETF for many years and being so used to that, but I think the sniper is next to useless as it is.
punk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
rebo

Hmmm strange, I would say compared to TFC sniper aiming is a bit easier. Remember with the new tagging feature you dont have to kill the opponent to be effective.
rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
The sniper rifle is, indeed, included in that list of weapons that miss.

Known Bugs:
http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=10676
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
Johnny Mullet
Fear the Mullet!

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Hello Punk! I remember you from Q3F/ETF and I will have to say that the Sniper is easier in ETF compared to FF. The FF Sniper has to actually hone his skills.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
punk

Glad to see you're still around as well Mullet Man! I agree, the sniping in ETF was far easier, a bit too easy. So hopefully they get the aiming correct, and maybe work on the charge a bit, and I think sniper would quickly become a very useful class.

@nodnarb: Ok, thank you. I was hoping my aim wasn't really that bad. It just seems like I miss an awful lot shots that I know I'm aiming right at the person, and my ping is usually around 20-30, so that really isn't an issue.

I would also love to have a customizable zoom for sniper. Yes, zooming in until you can read someone's lips is a bit too far, I think the only zoom we have available is just not quite enough. While I don't particularly mind the current zoom, I prefer to zoom a bit more than what is available now.

Thanks again for letting me know I'm not completely insane.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
oxylos

About zoom, there is or will be surly scripts that fit different zoom settings for example on mouse wheel.

I played mostly times sniper in tfc (soldier too :P) and must say that FF-sniper works better when you try to aim few cm just before a target is running.

new players give up fast the sniper cause of the small complication and those people who hates get sniped are happy about that, maybe its intended
oxylos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Kanadwen

Send a message via AIM to Kanadwen Send a message via Yahoo to Kanadwen
Coming from TFC, it took me a while to get use to the new aiming, but finally got use to it. I had to turn on mouse accel though, got so use to it over the years, whenever I tried with it off I was like "What's going on!? >:O"

=)

m_mouseaccel 1
Kanadwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #8
Norris
The Good German

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
used to be good in TFC. hardly had problems to hit midair some concers. FF is a different story for me. I miss by far to much soldiers when I should have hit them. Something is wrong with the aiming and I don't think it only belongs to my 20fps system. The config is also kind of sorted for my DSL. Headshots are strange too, got the most of themy by aiming at the neck..
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
aflaedge
Resident QWTF God

I can snipe all day in TFC and i feel that the overall boost in speed to the classes in FF has made the sniper that much harder to use. It seems now that I can only hit straight on targets or stationary targets. Maybe I'm experiencing a bug with the gun but honestly I think it is just my inability to hit something moving that fast and erratically. Where the sniper fell down in TFC was its usefulness in team play. In FF I fear it will fail because nobody can use it.

Has anybody even run into a good sniper on FF yet? I figured my knack would slide right over but no such luck thus far.
aflaedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
Norris
The Good German

Well I still take around 50 players down but that are only the easy targets. If I compare to TFC then I would have ended with a score of 110.
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
punk

Good to hear it is not only me having this issue. Hopefully something will be done about it, I really enjoy sniping, but missing shots that I know I shouldn't have missed is very aggrivating. About the aiming a couple cm ahead, that is a non-issue for me really. Between my ping being so low, and still missing targets that are stationary, that is not the problem here.

Thanks for the replies, and confirmation that I am not alone

Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
Analog-Man

I too am having some trouble, thought it was just me though until I saw this thread. I must say that after a few hours I was getting the hang of it, but nowhere near as well as I can on TFC.

I did notice that on a completely stationary target, I carefully lined up the crosshairs for a direct headshot, and would completely miss. I started aiming lower and seemed to be getting headshots this way so it does appear crosshair targetting is a little off and might explain some of the issues I was having.

Will definately take some time to re-adjust, but even if it is just simply harder that might be a good thing. In TFC, without opposing sniper fire I could decimate approaching offensive forces on a couple of maps, now it is much harder and probably is a good thing for balance.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #13
Kanadwen

Send a message via AIM to Kanadwen Send a message via Yahoo to Kanadwen
Well, I can hit moving targets just fine, even when they are falling. It's the direct sniping that gets me, I already try to aim for the head and keep missing, and always seem to miss. Never on TFC. =) Just gotta keep getting use to it!
Kanadwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #14
barronofhellion

mm dunno maybe if you dont have time for a charged shot, go for the head? i know i used to suck as sniper but in ff i was doing fair.. had to adjust my sensitivity tho
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #15
punk

Maybe just a lucky coincidence, but I used this small guide in the Tech Support section, and since then my aim has been far better, seem to hit more of the shots that are directly over a player etc. Give it a try if you're having issues with sniper, or anything really. Said to help FPS, but it seems to have helped the sniper a great deal for me.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #16
FrEaK™

snipers are useless anyway =D

Old 09-17-2007, 11:17 PM   #17
wicked_clown420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog-Man
In TFC, without opposing sniper fire I could decimate approaching offensive forces on a couple of maps, now it is much harder and probably is a good thing for balance.
yeah man, i remember pre tfc 1.5 with the lag dot, i could camp the Well base and literally stop EVERYONE comming out of the door, and anyone you miss comming out the door was dead before they made it half way across the map

a lil overpowered lol
wicked_clown420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #18
Blitzkrieg-AA-

I've also noticed that my aim has been a little off. I'm missing shots that I swear should have landed. It's probably just a matter of getting more familiar with FF's hitboxes. Part of the fun of a new game is learning all the little nuances.

The one change I would make in regards to the sniper is to lower the charge time and/or increase the damage done by uncharged shots.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 AM   #19
Hogmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg-AA-
The one change I would make in regards to the sniper is to lower the charge time and/or increase the damage done by uncharged shots.

i'd agree, i've shot a soldier nearly 6 times i'd say and he finally died, yes they were uncharged but thats ridiculous considering how hard it is to get a headshot on a moving target. btw what i'm agreeing to would be the increase in damage done by uncharged shots

for those of us that are more familiar w/ the quake (id software) based TF games you have to remember that valve has some lag prediction methods put in place that made sniping in the original TFC a bit weird for me for a good bit. just takes some target practice, i love shooting demomen flying through the air and soldiers, eventually i became able to get medics and scouts conc jumping (they're faster ) but not a guaranteed kill sometimes. if you think sniping is weird in TFC or FF it might be because of the lag prediction that valve has in place which like i said made it weird for me to get used to, but its completely doable.
Hogmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 02:55 AM   #20
punk

Well, it does seem as though it happened to be a crazy coincidence, just played a game and missed 90% of shots to players standing still.
Is there any way to record demo's or movies in game? I'll see if I can get some movies of what I'm talking about..