Old 09-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #21
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11
The Drizzle banned.

On a serious note, I don't recall ever seeing a ban for language in TFC. If you did swear the message wouldn't display and you got a warning, next time gag. If the infractor continued swearing he would get Llama'd...
Our language rules were far more strict in TFC, we perm banned for continued language problems and they could not be reviewed. We've changed those policies a bit to accomodate the community and make sure they are aware of the server policies prior to getting banned. A lack of a real motd is one of reasons behind this.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #22
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Sorry, didn't mention that I never played on the Old Timers TFC server D= This is my experience from playing on other servers, where people would get gag'd llama'd. My bad.

Also, isn't there any way to implement the censors and/or gags without performance hits? Seeing how the player base seems to be growing, it may be a good thing to research, if not for the OT server for others where admins might be interested on using it...

Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #23
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11
Sorry, didn't mention that I never played on the Old Timers TFC server D= This is my experience from playing on other servers, where people would get gag'd llama'd. My bad.

Also, isn't there any way to implement the censors and/or gags without performance hits? Seeing how the player base seems to be growing, it may be a good thing to research, if not for the OT server for others where admins might be interested on using it...
Any plugin effects performance, but for most it's rarely seen. The regular expressions checks that are used in our language system would bog down Sourcemod because it would have to check all combinations, in all servers, everytime someone spoke. We use an external process from the server that evaluates it in Perl which is extremely fast and doesn't use the same threads as the server, so there's performance hit at all. It's a matter of data volume. Just like stats systems, most of them are perl and run externally because processing each piece of information in the server itself would just be too much data.

Scuzzy

Old 09-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #24
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Scuzzy, I'm certainly not picking on you(or your server rules).... but I would like to forward an idea:

If it can be said on regular television, then let it be said anywhere. I'm certainly not advocating allowing players to verbally abuse other players, but some language can be acceptable, without being obnoxious.

I have a team bind, that reads: "Enemy SG destroyed, watch for pissed off enemy engineer", which would probably get me a warning on your server, and eventually banned.

Back in the old days(read: BBS, pre-internet), a friend of mine ran a BBS that had a pretty strict policy against swearing. I was added to the "staff"(limited admin access) and represented the BBS both online and offline. At an in-person meeting, I suggested that we allow MILD language to fly, as long as it was not used in a derogatory manner towards another user. My arguement was that "if the FCC allows it on standard TV, it can't be THAT bad." I used the 1st amendment right to free speech, but tempered it with the limit of non-attack of someone else.

I do commend you for altering your policy for the betterment of the community. But I think you will find that responcible people will not drop F-bombs right and left, but the occasional slip that doesn't attack other players can/should be overlooked. I'm not sure how you can police it, though.

I was banned from a server for using the name "Ignorant Bastard". Aside from the word in my name..... I said nothing off colour. Go figure.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #25
VinnytheBoss
Boss 4 all da rite reasons

Class/Position: O scout/med D sol/demo
Affiliations: Founder of the Goodfellas.
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
um who really cares about language..??? this is a game that shouldnt be played by ppl 13 and under because of excessive violence...

its just a word and its just the internet ppls...

get a fuckin life

Old 09-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #26
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnytheBoss
um who really cares about language..??? this is a game that shouldnt be played by ppl 13 and under because of excessive violence...

get a fuckin life
Welcome to America.... where Parental responcibility has been outlawed.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #27
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
More like Welcome to the internet

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:

Old 09-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #28
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I don't know, I played on one UT2004 server that would substitute "bacon" for all swear words and it made for some fun messages popping up.

The main downside to a straight up language-punishment system is you're going to block people who aren't disruptive otherwise. I can appreciate that you're trying to keep the server from reading like a public bathroom stall, but it seems like a filter would be better middle ground.

For example, I can think of one game where a demoman took out 6 people with a detpack and I said "well shit..." and got slayed. About 10 minutes later I think I said "christ" after seeing a hwguy get shot across the map on aardvark from a friendly detpack and got slayed again with a warning to ban. Using expletives is pretty common, I would crack down more on things like slurs, but whatever, it's not my server.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #29
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Scuzzy, I'm certainly not picking on you(or your server rules).... but I would like to forward an idea:

If it can be said on regular television, then let it be said anywhere. I'm certainly not advocating allowing players to verbally abuse other players, but some language can be acceptable, without being obnoxious.

I have a team bind, that reads: "Enemy SG destroyed, watch for pissed off enemy engineer", which would probably get me a warning on your server, and eventually banned.
nah, you'd be fine with that. We do allow mild language to an extent. When words get used over and over and over and over again, we add them to the list to tone it down. "bastard" is one of those words, every time we take it off the list we get a bunch of people that have to use it every other word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
I do commend you for altering your policy for the betterment of the community. But I think you will find that responcible people will not drop F-bombs right and left, but the occasional slip that doesn't attack other players can/should be overlooked. I'm not sure how you can police it, though.
The slays and recording of those are overlooked, we couldn't care less if someone has 50 slays in their record (and there are those players). It's the people that push the policy in a short period of time after they've been warned or just can't control themselves that the system catches. People slip all the time, it's no big deal. That's why it's a three strikes system. The idea behind the system is to let the person know there's a policy, which it does in many ways. It keeps us from having to police the server and can just continue to play. I don't even notice when someone gets hit by the system. (I rarely read text and it never tells us directly when someone gets hit). What players do with their new knowledge of the language policy is up to them... the system will just judge them based on it.

Scuzzy

Old 09-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #30
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnytheBoss

get a fuckin life
hehehe if you haven't heard of us by now, you haven't been around long enough.

Scuzzy

Old 09-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #31
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
nah, you'd be fine with that. We do allow mild language to an extent. When words get used over and over and over and over again, we add them to the list to tone it down. "bastard" is one of those words, every time we take it off the list we get a bunch of people that have to use it every other word.

The slays and recording of those are overlooked, we couldn't care less if someone has 50 slays in their record (and there are those players). It's the people that push the policy in a short period of time after they've been warned or just can't control themselves that the system catches. People slip all the time, it's no big deal. That's why it's a three strikes system. The idea behind the system is to let the person know there's a policy, which it does in many ways. It keeps us from having to police the server and can just continue to play. I don't even notice when someone gets hit by the system. (I rarely read text and it never tells us directly when someone gets hit). What players do with their new knowledge of the language policy is up to them... the system will just judge them based on it.

Scuzzy
Ok. I wasn't really sure how strict the system was, or how it was implemented. From what I've read, it's pretty strict. Then again, all I read are the bitching posts about it.

Anyhow... it's nice to know that some stuff is allowed. Particularly the non-hostile stuff. I mean, I don't blame you for not allowing: "Hey, Fuckhead.... put your fucking sentry over fucking here, you fucking retarded fuck!"

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #32
Digital_Ghost

Yea overall the system we run really isn't all that bad as what alot of people make it out to be. We keep things fun, when everyone is enjoying themselves there is very little urge to cuss alot, apart from the odd slip someone does now and then. When I'm playing if i hear someone say shit over the mic, i may not always say something the first time, but if it keeps up I'll give them a verbal or typed warning, just to watch the language and 99% of the time they are cool with that. As Scuzzy mentioned before people slip now and then, it happens.

However most of the time if someone drops the f-bomb or does curse over the mic, even before admins say anything, our regulars from our community will end up jumping on them first and warn them before we even notice anything,lol. Which i honestly commend them on that and it shows how much people really enjoy this type of environment, apart from a small handful of people.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 AM   #33
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
That's why it's a three strikes system.
Scuzzy
WHAT?!! I GOT BANNED AFTER THE FIRST STRIKE! Here is what the chat log looked like

Nukem joined the server
timeleft 25:00 - nukem hasnt spoken/chatted at all yet
timeleft 20:00 - nukem hasnt spoken/chatted at all yet
timeleft 15:00 - nukem hasnt spoken/chatted at all yet
timeleft 10:00 - said "stop cock blocking" - nuk3m banned.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #34
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
WHAT?!! I GOT BANNED AFTER THE FIRST STRIKE! Here is what the chat log looked like

Nukem joined the server
timeleft 25:00 - nukem hasnt spoken/chatted at all yet
timeleft 20:00 - nukem hasnt spoken/chatted at all yet
timeleft 15:00 - nukem hasnt spoken/chatted at all yet
timeleft 10:00 - said "stop cock blocking" - nuk3m banned.
These were your three strikes:

Code:
12/19/06 1:04 pm #28 (DM) (Server) Language Banned Banned 30 minutes for swearing. ("at fuck it") 
12/19/06 1:03 pm #28 (DM) (Server) Language Slayed Slayed for swearing. ("AH SHIT") 
12/19/06 1:03 pm #28 (DM) (Server) Language Slayed Slayed for swearing. ("you said sexy")
As you can see in my post to Trepid_Jon, you're not in the three strikes category any longer. You choose to ignore the rules and intentionally got banned. That puts you in the:

Quote:
Now, after Bob does get banned temporarily, the system feels he's got a pretty clear idea of what the rules are. So, after that, each occurrance is a progressively longer ban.
You have known that would be the case for you since we unbanned you the first time. You have been banned twice since. Don't act like you don't know how the system works Nuk3m.

You spent your chances unwisely and now you're having to deal with the consequences. Others spend those chances with slips. I'm done arguing with you Nuk3m.

Scuzzy

Old 09-08-2008, 02:30 AM   #35
SmellyCat
Darknight

12/19/06 1:03 pm #28 (DM) (Server) Language Slayed Slayed for swearing. ("you said sexy")

What?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:32 AM   #36
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyCat

What?
Sexual content is not permitted, smacking that word gets the point across.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 AM   #37
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
ROFL

sexy

...o that made my day

Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 AM   #38
SmellyCat
Darknight

Holy fuck.

Sexy is a banned word.

Err, wow, now that's just being silly.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #39
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

There are no banned words.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:54 AM   #40
BoltR

Only words that get you banned? Considering, from the looks of things, "sexy" will get you banned if you say it enough times, I would go as far as calling it a banned word.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is an example of what Iggy means by keeping language in tune with what you would see on prime time TV. Sexy is pretty tame, even for ten years ago.

Closed Thread