Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #61
o_etzell

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Stealing models from other mods would be illeagal, and I dont want to fuck anything up by adding light to place where it really is not needed since the play area isnt there.
It's not illegal. Fucking shit, how many times am I going to have to say "IF YOU TAKE A MODEL FROM A SOURCE MOD FOR ANOTHER SOURCE MOD, IT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL!" That's why mods like Sourceforts work, they used HL2 content. Hell, even the FF team was using CS:S placeholders. What about textures, Donny? Following your logic, you should have to make your own.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #62
o_player

Rofl
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #63
o_nezumi

Remember this screenshot from ff_push? This is a CS:S model:

Even if it is placeholder it doesn't have to be.

Anyway, I like the tops of your cliffs. Very non-uniform. The ramp/platform thing in the second screenshot has some corners on it though...
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #64
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
It's not illegal. Fucking shit, how many times am I going to have to say "IF YOU TAKE A MODEL FROM A SOURCE MOD FOR ANOTHER SOURCE MOD, IT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL!" That's why mods like Sourceforts work, they used HL2 content. Hell, even the FF team was using CS:S placeholders. What about textures, Donny? Following your logic, you should have to make your own.
You cannot take CS:S terrorist model and add that to your map, you cant take tank from DODs and add that to your map. And by that I mean that you put it inside the map file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Remember this screenshot from ff_push? This is a CS:S model:

Even if it is placeholder it doesn't have to be.

Anyway, I like the tops of your cliffs. Very non-uniform. The ramp/platform thing in the second screenshot has some corners on it though...
That lamp doesnt fit there.

Yeah I got to work on the ramp. It has a leak in it anyway which sew doesnt fix.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #65
o_alligator

Actually, you can. Thank you.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 04:32 AM   #66
o_etzell

Quote:
You cannot take CS:S terrorist model and add that to your map, you cant take tank from DODs and add that to your map. And by that I mean that you put it inside the map file.
No, the beauty of using Valve content is that you CAN. Explain how sourceforts is allowed? Or why the restrictions in your head are simply models, instead of textures and the actual engine itself? If Valve made it, you can use it.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #67
o_donny

Well anyway, my point has not chainged, I will not add lights there.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #68
o_player

Atleast he is coming around. Slowly that is :P

Old 06-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #69
o_donny

I decided to add a shutdown type security button thing to the last cap.
Why?
Because you could just conc your way to the last cap. Skilled scout could just conc his way through.
Also this seems logical since it's suppose to be the last and hardest of them all.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #70
o_ambex

Lol what is this?

It's not hostility to take other props and models from the same generation of games we know as HL2.

Be gallant and use them don't be afraid nobody is going to punish you Donny, you know what I'm sayin? It's free aslong as you bind credits to the guys who made em'.

o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #71
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambex
Lol what is this?

It's not hostility to take other props and models from the same generation of games we know as HL2.

Be gallant and use them don't be afraid nobody is going to punish you Donny, you know what I'm sayin? It's free aslong as you bind credits to the guys who made em'.

I meant the games that you need to buy to use, like DOD:S

And now the off-topic ends, or g-man will rape you.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #72
o_ambex

Quote:

: OOO!

he raped me with a log allready
o_ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #73
o_player

You can use materials from games such as DoD: S without consent ffs.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #74
o_etzell

Quote:

You need to buy HL2. Oh. Snap. If you've paid for the mod, you have the right to use it. Explain Garry's Mod. Or avoid the subject. Whatever.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #75
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
He doesn't wanna use the fucking lights and he doesn't have to use them. Get off his back.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #76
o_etzell

It's not the lights part that bugs me, it's the fact that he's backing it up with wrong logic. He can use or not use whatever the fuck he wants, but to say it's illegal is wrong.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #77
o_d3pth charge

Actually, jackarses, donny is right in a sense. Source forts works because you HAVE TO HAVE HL2 to PLAY IT, and it only uses hl2 textures/weapons; it's not providing content to people who didn't already pay for that content.

However, you can buy HL2 without buying CS:S/DOD:S, so in that case, a person including materials/parts of the game from a separate, commercial game like css/dods would be breaking the law because you are providing copyrighted, commercial material to people who don't own the game. Someone who only owns hl2, not css or dods could still download and play a mod that used those two games' materials, and that's where it would be illegal (as donny is saying). And obviously, using a css placeholder in a screenshot is not the same, derr. :P

However, that being said, after so many people used the textures/models from css/dods because they incorrectly assumed that they could (sound familiar?), valve just gave up. They did explicitly prohibit the use of these mods' materials at one point though... so donny's not just talking out of his ass.

Donny: Like I said though, Valve doesn't care anymore, so you are perfectly free to use them now.
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #78
o_alligator

Quote:
Well anyway, my point has not chainged, I will not add lights there.
no one is forcing you
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #79
o_nezumi

Wow, you people are completely insane. You're saying CS:S and DoD:S are commercial products? You're telling me it's possible to PAY for CS:S and DoD:S?!

What the crap?

xnarf, if you've paid someone for those games you should try to get your money back because they're supposed to be free.

CS:S AND DoD:S ARE NOT COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS THEY ARE FREE MODS FOR THE SOURCE ENGINE LIKE FF IS

If I wanted to I could go rip all the player models out of DoD:S and replace the CS:S models with them then release that as an entirely new mod called NezStrike:Source without any legal trouble at all.

Damn.

ANYWAY Donny the point is I hope you do what's best for your map and use whatever content works, and don't make a lesser map because you didn't exploit all the options available to you.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #80
o_d3pth charge

wtf? Are you on crack son?

Try checking... the... Steam frikken store?!?!

Ya, valve is ripping off it's own customers . If you got dod:s with hl2, it's because you paid for the gold/silver package, which costed more, hence the not for free part. Since those packages are no longer available, the only way to get cs:s or dod:s is to pay for them.

As for your assumptions about ripping off all the models, that is true NOW because Valve gave up (like I just said) but originally they explicitly forbid doing that. If I can find a link proving it I will, but for now take my word, I assure you it's true, I'm not making this up.
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote