Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
HW with MIRVs on TALOS?

Does TALOS have some kind of mod that gives the HW Guy MIRVs? I also noticed his overpressure was a bit different...

Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
I bloody hope not.. I believe it is possible that they can do that using the config files. It's about time we put all our player config in code rather than in files so theres no discrepencies between servers.
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 07-10-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Yeah I was on Talos earlier, I was a Heavy trying to defend the flag, and I dropped a "slow grenade" at my feet, to then realise it was a MIRV after it blew up ¬_¬

I hope they change it back, otherwise new people are just going to get confused between servers.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
I bloody hope not.. I believe it is possible that they can do that using the config files. It's about time we put all our player config in code rather than in files so theres no discrepencies between servers.
I hope you're not going to lock the keys that can do whatever the player usually used configs for. I don't use the stock key config, and being forced to would be a serious turn off.

I have no problem with locking the actual abilities.... that should be done anyway. In fact, I thought it was.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #5
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
ff_playerclass_hwguy.txt
Code:
PlayerClassData
{
	"slot"				"6"
	"classname"			"hwguy"

// Text
	"printname"			"#FF_PLAYER_HWGUY"
	"description"			"#FF_HELP_HWGUY"

// Model
	"model"				"models/player/hwguy/hwguy.mdl"

// Health & Armour
	"max_armour"			"300"
	"initial_armour"		"150"
	"armour_type"			"8" // this means 0.8
	"health"			"100"

"speed"				"230" //5% add was 241

// Weapns to automatically equip the class with
	ArmamentsData
	{
		"weapon"	"ff_weapon_crowbar"
		"weapon"	"ff_weapon_shotgun"
		"weapon"	"ff_weapon_supershotgun"
		"weapon"	"ff_weapon_assaultcannon"
	}

"primary_classname"		"ff_grenade_normal"
	"primary_initial"		"2"
	"primary_max"			"2"

"secondary_classname"		"ff_grenade_slowfield"
	"secondary_initial"		"1"
	"secondary_max"			"2"

// Ammo amounts for the player
	AmmoData
	{
		"AMMO_SHELLS"		"200"
		"AMMO_NAILS"		"0"
		"AMMO_CELLS"		"30"
		"AMMO_ROCKETS"		"0"
		"AMMO_DETPACK"		"0"
		"AMMO_MANCANNON"	"0"
	}

MaxAmmoData
	{
		"AMMO_SHELLS"		"200"
		"AMMO_NAILS"		"200"
		"AMMO_CELLS"		"50"
		"AMMO_ROCKETS"		"25"
		"AMMO_DETPACK"		"0"
		"AMMO_MANCANNON"	"0"
	}
}

Old 07-11-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
hlstriker
QUAD ROCKET
Server Owner
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Rocket Jumping
Affiliations: -g1 ]qS[ -eC- :e0: [ESAD]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I hope you're not going to lock the keys that can do whatever the player usually used configs for. I don't use the stock key config, and being forced to would be a serious turn off.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the configs like Carl posted above and not the clients config.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Yeah, he meant script not config. This has nothing to do with the /cfg/ folder at all.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
well on there server they got rid of the slow-field, (put the mirv back.) added the spy gass back in. super buffed the lazer grenade (2 hit kills).

i told them i didn't think the devs were gonna like this. back when it was just he spy gass they added back in. they said they don't give a fuck what the devs think. (one of the admins i can't remember who.)
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
To each their own, I suppose. There's always another server to play in.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
To each their own, I suppose. There's always another server to play in.
Ya, and I'll be playing on yours now pretty much exclusively, not happy with any of those changes.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

I didn't mind when the gas grenade was added back in, because multiple servers did it, the most popular servers all added it.

But that sort of change didn't make a huge impact, whereas super buffing the laser grenade and removing the slow field do, gameplay shouldn't differ so much between servers otherwise the game has no consistency.

Sadly with the general nature of Talos, being the backside of FF, means they aren't going to give a fuck what anyone says or thinks, regardless if they are devs or players. They do what they want.

I just wish they would put that sort of effort into making their server better.

I'll be avoiding Talos from now on.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaK367 View Post
I didn't mind when the gas grenade was added back in, because multiple servers did it, the most popular servers all added it.
I think that's because the general consensus of the community wanted them there. They weren't perfect, but better than nothing.

Quote:
But that sort of change didn't make a huge impact, whereas super buffing the laser grenade and removing the slow field do, gameplay shouldn't differ so much between servers otherwise the game has no consistency.
Agreed, 100%

Quote:
Sadly with the general nature of Talos, being the backside of FF, means they aren't going to give a fuck what anyone says or thinks, regardless if they are devs or players. They do what they want.

I just wish they would put that sort of effort into making their server better.

I'll be avoiding Talos from now on.
+1
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #13
carryonplease

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
how is talos more of a backside than OT? At least on the talos server people understand the red is D, blue is O (unless its a big game) and you actually have people playing offensive that will be fun to defend against (scout/medic/soldier)

OT is seriously the most frustrating server to play on. They don't like to play the game how it is meant to be played. which IMO is like team fortress classic. But i guess thats all my opinion and hence why I dont like OT.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #14
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryonplease View Post
how is talos more of a backside than OT? At least on the talos server people understand the red is D, blue is O (unless its a big game) and you actually have people playing offensive that will be fun to defend against (scout/medic/soldier)

OT is seriously the most frustrating server to play on. They don't like to play the game how it is meant to be played. which IMO is like team fortress classic. But i guess thats all my opinion and hence why I dont like OT.
There are flaws in your argument. New people don't understand red is D and blue is O. And when someone new comes in and starts capping blue flags when there's no D on Blue, maybe that's a sign that OvD isn't the best thing for FF. I've been testing out different scenarios lately and in a regular game, not OvD, people are generally more happy and stay longer in my server.

Also, OvD basically cripples CTF maps because if the map is halfway through and someone joins and sees it's already 90-0, yet they get stuck on the team with 0 points, how do you think they're going to enjoy themselves if those points are only being scored on one side and not both? Regular CTF promotes more people joining my server. No one wants to join a game and be on the losing team right away.

And while I agree there should be a small amount of class limiting on a server, I also believe people should be able to play whatever class makes them enjoy their gaming experience. If they want to play sniper, then I'm going to let them. Not going to tolerate bashing against classes that are considered 'noobish' because frankly, we all started out at some point and the last thing we want to do is give someone the impression that what they are doing is stupid and that they should be scolded like a dog for it.

Fuck that shit. I'm sick of all the ridiculous rules I see on most servers and by rules, I mean the unwritten code many veterans of this game and games alike, follow. If someone wants to bring an HW Guy on offense, why the hell not? It's not like it's a pickup game or something...
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #15
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryonplease View Post

I agree with everything KubeDawg said, the rules of Capture The Flag are to capture the enemy flag while protecting your own. When a map is loading and a screen displays information about the map, nowhere on it does it say "Oh BTW, Blue is offense and Red is defense"

The fun for me in games is in the winning, through a team effort, and OvD on CTF maps without a server modification to allow defenders to score. Is just pointless to me, I get slated because I dislike it, because before the map even starts I know Blue are going to win. I don't see the enjoyment in that. Both teams deserve a chance to win.

My best moments in FF have been when both teams are working together, defending and attacking and the scores are very close throughout the map, I get an adrenaline rush when the challenge to win is intense and everyone is working their arses off. It makes for a rewarding experience instead of just generic OvD.

That drive to win, is what makes so many other FPS games great to play, like a tug of war battle going back and forth.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
Ventry(Leo Wainker)
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
PAH!!
Storm in a tea cup.
It's Talos's right to run their server anyway they see fit.
Don't like it??
Don't play there.
Same goes for those that don't like the way OT run their server.
Seems pretty simple to me.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
As far as I'm concerned it's your game and you can play it any way you like, with whatever rules you like.

I kind of prefer OvD to full CTF, because there's no midfield fighting, and every player has a clear role. The problems with OvD are kind of on us for not supporting it better.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventry(Leo Wainker) View Post
PAH!!
Storm in a tea cup.
It's Talos's right to run their server anyway they see fit.
Don't like it??
Don't play there.
Same goes for those that don't like the way OT run their server.
Seems pretty simple to me.
Well, I agree people should be able to run their servers the way they want, with their rules and such. But when it comes to modifying game elements, such as removing and replacing grenades and super buffing another, in a game that is lucky to have 2 - 3 Public servers with people on them at the peak of popularity.

It isn't ideal, there's usually a 1 in 3 chance a new player will play on Talos first, and they'll be introduced to a Soldier with an overpowered secondary grenade, and a Heavy with Mirvs. Then when they go to a different server, like OT or KubeDawgs, they'll be expecting the same experience, but will then realise the laser grenade is pants, and the Heavy should have slow grenades. It's just going to confuse new people.

It can be done well in games that have tens of thousands of players and thousands of servers, but not when we have, what, a 1,000 active gamers? random guess. And with a check of the Steam server browser, 19 servers up Altogether, and half of them I've never even seen before.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #19
carryonplease

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
There are flaws in your argument. New people don't understand red is D and blue is O. And when someone new comes in and starts capping blue flags when there's no D on Blue, maybe that's a sign that OvD isn't the best thing for FF. I've been testing out different scenarios lately and in a regular game, not OvD, people are generally more happy and stay longer in my server.

Also, OvD basically cripples CTF maps because if the map is halfway through and someone joins and sees it's already 90-0, yet they get stuck on the team with 0 points, how do you think they're going to enjoy themselves if those points are only being scored on one side and not both? Regular CTF promotes more people joining my server. No one wants to join a game and be on the losing team right away.

And while I agree there should be a small amount of class limiting on a server, I also believe people should be able to play whatever class makes them enjoy their gaming experience. If they want to play sniper, then I'm going to let them. Not going to tolerate bashing against classes that are considered 'noobish' because frankly, we all started out at some point and the last thing we want to do is give someone the impression that what they are doing is stupid and that they should be scolded like a dog for it.

Fuck that shit. I'm sick of all the ridiculous rules I see on most servers and by rules, I mean the unwritten code many veterans of this game and games alike, follow. If someone wants to bring an HW Guy on offense, why the hell not? It's not like it's a pickup game or something...
I agree with the second paragraph definitely...if i come in late and i notice the teams are stacked on D I'm not happy to have to play O. I'm guess i'm just looking for consistency.

Last edited by carryonplease; 07-13-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #20
rdrt
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Maybe change the team names from red team and blue team and make them offense and defense.

Maps need to be designed around OvD if people want to play in a unilateral fashion. Blue team vs. Red team with two identical bases with team flags. Of course some logical first-timer is just going to hit the ground running. Instead of two bases with two flags you could have a single base and the opposite team has a home respawn with cap point or something.

Closed Thread