Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Question OS Flavor Preference

[ Linux (any flavor) ]
Haven't attempted to use any flavor of 'nix yet, so i'm a noob here.

[ Mac OS X ]
I never really had any problems with it aside from the fact that programs crashed more often than Windows Explorer.

[ Windows XP ]
Obviously, like everyone, i've used it for years and it's been said to be the greatest Windows OS ever made, especially if your running XP Pro.

Though, I do have to say, that whenever I ran XP in Home Edition, I never really had any problems. I obviously didn't have any the security issues that Pro offered, but I wasn't complaining especially when I never had problems with the system, never had any viruses or anything - except maybe the MS Blaster Worm that infected pretty much everyone back in 2003.

Though, once I upgraded to Pro, everything was fine and dandy for awhile, but after a few months, I started getting issues like folders not deleting because "the folder isn't empty" yet there were no contents within the folder, and recently heard that a few of my friends are having that issue as well. So what would I do? Reformat. Problem returned after reinstalling XP Home & Pro and updating XP.... reformat again? Same problem, repeat like 8 more times till I gave up and got pissed. Went to Vista.

[ Windows Vista ]
It has it's issues I guess, like UAC being a nice, but very fucking annoying feature. To be honest, the only real issues I've ever had with Vista was the faulty drivers from Nvidia and Creative when Vista was first released and PG2 not being Vista compatible because of a switch in the way Vista handled drivers. Overall, I don't mind Vista, I can't think of any actual issues I have with it that would consider it breaking... and most likely I'd end up using it again instead of XP, since I don't get that problem that I do with XP....

[ Windows 7 ]
Well, only issues thus far is the fact that it's a BETA. Blue screened twice, to be expected. Some issues with msi installers but was fixt thanks to MS doing the unthinkable and helping to fix issues with the OS. Some "compatibility" issues, but most problems are fixt by running in compatibility mode for older OS' like XP or Vista... And even then it's not exactly an issue with the OS as much as it is with the program. I've definitely seen a huge boost in performance compared to Vista though, not really supriring though to be quite honest. My performance in Vista was to the point where Starcraft couldn't even run higher than about 10fps when action started to pick up, but in Windows 7 I can actually get a full game going on no problem. Same applied to Warcraft 3 when under Vista and Windows 7.

[ Final Comments ]
Windows 7 has to be my favorite of the group... I don't see myself going back to Vista or even XP for that matter. After using 7, it's like XP with a Vista 2.0 theme going on, and that's just fucking awesome. Performance

wise, I stand with my previous statements. XP gave me issues with Explorer, and that was resolved in Vista, and aside from incompatible drivers with vista for the longest time, I don't really have any beef with Vista aside

from it's horrible resource management, and with Windows 6 I get the best of both worlds, the performance and reliability of XP with the Vista upgrades and an updated theme.

Oh Thank Seven.
~Anshinritsumai

Old 03-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
32 or 64 bit for windows?
Also, what are your specs?

Last edited by Mooga; 03-10-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Why was windows 95, 98, NT4, and windows 2000 not listed?

My favorite OS is windows 2000. Its the best operating system microsoft ever built. The memory pipes are a fraction of what XP has, its more stable, has a smaller memory and processor footprint and runs faster then xp.

After win2k its windows 95. What can you say about an OS that only takes 16 megs of memory?

Windows 98 second edition was ok, but is took 10X the memory that windows 95 did. 98 was a memory HOG compared to 95.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

So your definition of the best OS would be the one that uses the less memory?
Sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Linux/UNIX all the way. Basically everything is free, and the quality is still high (though admittedly it took them awhile to get to that point). The OS is smaller, more powerful, and more robust than Windows in my opinion.

The security is also a big benefit.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x View Post
So your definition of the best OS would be the one that uses the less memory?
The one that uses the least amount of memory and processor, while still being secure and stable is the best OS.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: Griefing/Spawn Camping
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
linux 64bit for the bomb digiddy
Shadow00Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga View Post
32 or 64 bit for windows?
Also, what are your specs?
Well, on my current shitty computer, i'm on 32 bit and it's a P4 2.8ghz w/ 1.25gb RAM, 6800gt 128mb AGP, X-Fi Fatal1ty 5.1, 80gb D:\ (Win7), 250gb C:\ (Vista), running Win7 as primary OS.

I've run all the listed Windows OS on my shitty computer and on my good computer before it died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
Why was windows 95, 98, NT4, and windows 2000 not listed?
I was lazy and didn't want to list them all... I was tempted to list at least NT4 and 2000...

Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow00Caster View Post
linux 64bit for the bomb digiddy
qft. a simple poll can't determine this.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
[Windows]
For me it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm gaming then either XP or Vista. I run everything I care about on Vista for gaming so the XP side has seen only a small amount of activity. Unfortunately a feature in Roxio 6 that I REALLY like will not run in Vista...actually all of Roxio 6 won't run there...but that's another story. That feature never appeared in any later version of Roxio.

If the Windows 7 beta lasted longer I might mess with it but we're still a year or more away from it releasing and AFAIK MS still has not identified a date certain on which it will Windows 7 will RTM. I probably won't see Windows 7 for another 2 years in my development lab so I suspect my first contact will be at home.

So, for now, Vista is my "go to" on the windows side.

[Linux]
Centos...hands down. I started with RH5 (not to be confused with RHEL5). I've worked with Fedora Core (1-5), Debian, Mandrake, Slack and SuSE. All of my development work is done on Centos and FC. Why do I like Centos? It's easy to work with, it's secure, it's stable and anything it receives has already passed through Red Hat's forges. I work with well established hardware so "cutting edge" drivers are never an issue. What's not to like?

Everything I do on the Linux side is server-oriented so there's a very clear demarcation for me between Linux and Windows with no overlap.

From the perspective of accessibility, flexibility in configuration and recovery from errors and problems...Linux takes it hands down.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #11
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
After using 64-bit XP, I switched to 64-bit Vista and WOW. 64-bit Vista is clean cut and is performing well. Ram usage is a little higher then XP, but manageable.

I find it more compatible with games then 64-bit XP was. However I am running Vista on a high-end system, so I would understand that my EXP is must better then others.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
[Linux]
Centos...hands down.
That might explain why the majority of hosting companies only offer CentOS as their Linux option.

Years ago a lot of host offered Red Hat, Fedora core, or centos - and even a few offered free BSD. But now, it seems that all other flavors of Linux have fallen to to the wayside in favor of CentOS.

Side note - I already know that FC is made by red hat. There is no need in going off on a rampage about how "stupid" I am because I listed them separate. FC and RH are separate products, so I listed them separate.

I guess I'am gonna have to setup a test box at my house with CentOS and play around with it. My websites run on Centos, but I do not want to play around with a production system.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
That might explain why the majority of hosting companies only offer CentOS as their Linux option.

Years ago a lot of host offered Red Hat, Fedora core, or centos - and even a few offered free BSD. But now, it seems that all other flavors of Linux have fallen to to the wayside in favor of CentOS.

Side note - I already know that FC is made by red hat. There is no need in going off on a rampage about how "stupid" I am because I listed them separate. FC and RH are separate products, so I listed them separate.

I guess I'am gonna have to setup a test box at my house with CentOS and play around with it. My websites run on Centos, but I do not want to play around with a production system.
I hope you weren't thinking I would call you stupid. Not my style Kev. If you didn't know FC is Red Hat's development distribution. RHEL is their stable distro. Within a particular RHEL version number you will only see fixes of bugs in the various module versions. You will not, typically, see a version upgrade of a program or module within that version number. FC does not have that restriction which makes is really risky for a production system. Why Centos is so common is that it's based on RHEL so that stability is built in....except, with Centos, you're not paying for the license that you have to pay to access RHEL and it's resources.

Here's list of mirrors. Note that not every mirror includes the DVD iso if you want it all.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
I hope you weren't thinking I would call you stupid. Not my style Kev. .
That statement was not directed at you. I should have separated that paragraph and moved it to the bottom of my post.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
Phatman
n00bsauce

Class/Position: Soldier/Pyro/ThatOneJerk
Gametype: Anything that involves killing
Send a message via AIM to Phatman Send a message via MSN to Phatman
Running XP Home on my desktop because I sold my other computer with my XP Pro cd. Home is fine since I don't have kids that try to install things all the time and worry about them killing it.

My laptop has a 64bit Intel and came with Vista Home Premium to which I've not had issue with for the most part. iTunes was goofy for a time, and the cd eject button that Dell added for whatever reason doesn't work well with Windows. Ends up freezing the computer. Also on my laptop is Ubuntu 8.10 x64. Had issues with it at first and was running Fedora 10 for a bit by itself but had issues trying to get on the Universities secure wireless. Ubuntu is finally playing nice so it and Vista reside on the drive and I couldn't be happier. I'm not a huge Linux geek, but I'm trying to learn more.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, mac, operating system, windows, windows 7