Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 AM   #1
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Help me find a CD player

So, yeah, I've never had a CD player in my car. I've been driving a 4-door 1995 Honda Civic LX everyday for like the last 8 years, and I've never had a damn CD player.

Now, I'm thinking about getting one, but I really have no idea about car audio. I know jack shit about it, actually.

The other little thing worth mentioning here is that I have XM radio, and I have the cheap ass XM Xpress shit. After looking around at Best Buy, and talking to the guy there, he had said what would be best would be to just hook it up to use the FM transmitter shit, and that's all there'd really be to it.

He went on to talk about using some other shit to "hardwire" the FM transmitter shit, which I didn't really pay attention to that shit since he said the installation was like $70 to do that shit.

More than likely, I'm going to just go buy some shit at BestBuy, and take it to my brother and just see if he can do it. BestBuy will install a CD player for free, if it's over $100, but they won't do anything else along with that for free. So, they'd charge me to hook up my existing XM shit to the CD player. The good thing is that they said I could buy the CD player, and then try to have someone else do all the installation (including hooking up the XM shit,) and if this other person was unsuccessful they would still do the free CD installation.

I know I don't need the carkit, but I do need the wiring shit, which at BestBuy (and apparently everywhere else) is $20. He, the guy at BestBuy, told me how you can get things like that for really cheap online and stuff, but inorder to get the free CD installation I'd have to buy the one from them.

So, that really just leaves me with trying to find a CD player, and preferrably one at BestBuy. Not that I'm completely opposed to buying one online. If there's some crazy ass deal for one, that'd be awesome, but just being able to drive over to a store and picking one up is pretty nice.

I'm thinking around the $150. The ones I looked at today, at BestBuy, were $130, but I could probably spend up to $200; although, I'm not necessairily looking to spend $200.

Being able to play mp3s is the other big thing that I care about; cause seriously, who just plays CDs when you can put so many mp3s on a CD.

I really just dunno what to look for, and why CD player A is better than CD player B, and all that kind of shit.

Trepid, what?
trepid_jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
did you know that CAT5 makes fucking awesome audio/speaker cable? just double the pairs up when you need to put more juice down it!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:42 AM   #3
iMpi

Just get a CD player with an audio in port on the front.

Bottom left hand corner you can plug anything with headphone out jack to the car speakers such as an i pod, that mobile XM radio you were talking about and shit even a computer.

So at best buy just ask for a 3.5mm jack in on the front. They are much more useful then a CD player because the amount of songs you can have on an ipod. Also for road trips, your friends can all bring there ipods and plug it into the car. A separate car lighter power cord is useful if they make one for your xm Radio receiver. Be careful while changing songs while driving, I can't count how many times I was trying to turn on music and almost hit shit. Thank god for rumble strips ; )
iMpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2007, 02:44 AM   #4
Spiderm4N
Banned

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
http://baixaki.ig.com.br/imagens/wpa...vitrola800.jpg

Last edited by trepid_jesse; 06-12-2007 at 03:24 AM.
Spiderm4N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2007, 03:26 AM   #5
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

Yeah, I was thinking about doing something to use the auxiliary input, too, but I wasn't sure which of the two was more desirable.

If I use the FM shit, that would open up the auxiliary shit for whatever else, and I wouldn't have to switch between having the XM shit hooked-up or whatever else I may be using.

I dunno shit about flowers.

Trepid, what?

Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
iMpi

If i can comprehend this correctly right now, you can just switch the plugs.
iMpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Put a computer in there
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
FM short range transmitters are the shittest invention on the planet. i want a radio with balanced XLRs on the front panel.. lol

can you get radios with XM receivers built in?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

I ended up just getting this one

Trepid, what?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
That is a good radio. My friend had a pioneer radio in his car and loved it... until some idiot ran a stop sign and totaled his Nissan 200. >:

Be careful not to blow out your speakers listening to The Wiggles! d:

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote